Wood glue ..

hodge911

A mate has just sent me a message asking best way to repair a snapped curved leg on a foot stool / piano stool .

Am I correct in thinking there's a powdered wood glue that if mixed correctly and fully set is stronger than the wood. If so can anyone let me know it's name please or any other that would be up to the job

32 minutes ago, dipper said:

Think it’s called Castamite 

👍

26 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Similar to this stool .

Leg snapped just below cross brace so would that powdered glue do it ? 

s-l400.jpg

Yes & stronger than the wood

mix to a thick creamy consistency & cramp lightly, wipe excess off with a damp cloth 

i mended an old mule chest ..(the planks)......and made sure the wood was clean and applied Gorilla wood glue.......never used it before....so it was a shot in the dark....released the clamps 30 hours later....fine........and it still is 3 months on..

you do have a little working time with it and the excess is easily cleaned off with a damp rag

Keeper mate had a old aya yo man and he snapped it in 2 pieces across the grip.said I would ask a gunsmith mate to look at it.Good point was it didn’t have any oil on it at all.. He used castamite  plus small pins .it still gets thrown about in back of Land Rover. Over 20 years ago.

i would set the repair with castamite mixed thinly a bit like single cream    clamp to get the best repair possible clean up  and let it set then drill a hole to suit a dowel up through the repair and then glue that in  a better end result   dont forget to cut a v groove in the dowel to let excess glue out      the cabinet maker way 

9 hours ago, team tractor said:

Unless you use polyurethane expanding glue. 20 mins and declamp. It’s amazing stuff and controllable in a silicon style tube 👍😎

Sorry not suitable, **** to use/clean-up & will probably leave a yellow glue line 

35 minutes ago, spandit said:

Professional carpenter friend of mine uses Gladiator Glue - it's expanding in a gun style tube.

see my previous

C& G Joiner 😇

2 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Sorry not suitable, **** to use/clean-up & will probably leave a yellow glue line 

see my previous

C& G Joiner 😇

We use sovereign glue .its a silicone style tube . It’s controllable and cleans off without any issues. No yellow lines to be seen . It’s great for laminations .