Rav4 comments/suggestions?

Shearwater

Hi all, fancy a Rav4 but know nowt about cars/trucks/vans so have 2 questions if I may

1. Is there a model to go for and any to avoid?

2. Can it be beaten ( assuming they all have decent tyres) as a shooting bus and to use in the winter for country lane driving?

Cheers to you all

I know one guy who had one and he loved his. In my opinion if you are buying to use as a bit of a beat around/shoot wagon thing for fields and lanes I would buy one with as little added extras as possible as it means theres less to go wrong. Mind you leather seats that can wipe clean are obviously a bonus but i dont think the rav 4 had them.

2. Yes of course, any Land Rover product and just about anything with an optional low range gear box. 

It's not if it can be "beaten" but if it's suitable for your use. Only you know that. The Rav 4 was I think the very first cross over from proper 4x4 to car, Range Rover excepted. As such as a 4 wheel drive car, they take some "beating" in normal use. If you're not doing anything too extreme, as a cross over family car come shooting bus it should be fine.

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

2. Yes of course, any Land Rover product and just about anything with an optional low range gear box. 

It's not if it can be "beaten" but if it's suitable for your use. Only you know that. The Rav 4 was I think the very first cross over from proper 4x4 to car, Range Rover excepted. As such as a 4 wheel drive car, they take some "beating" in normal use. If you're not doing anything too extreme, as a cross over family car come shooting bus it should be fine.

I think you nailed it with your wording ( cross over family car come shooting bus ) as that's about what I need, I would have bought a 4x4 estate but from what I've seen they lack clearance when on those rut type tracks which is about where I'll be; offroad but not up hillsides

I have a 58 plate 2.2D4D which replaced a petrol Crv. I will never sell it. 

It never drops below 50mpg, I have Bridgestone duellers all round and it goes anywhere. 

Easy to maintain, has not had anything other than services, brakes and tyres and it coming up to 90k on the clock. 

definitely recommend them. 

Edited by oscarsdad

I’ve got a 20 year old 3 door RAV4 that I just use for shooting and other rough use. The back seats are therefore permanently folded forward. It is the 2 litre model and can go anywhere that I need it to go and has tackled some very muddy situations. It is permanent four wheel drive and the diff lock has only been needed once. Not the most economic car, but as my shooting is all within a ten mile radius and most even closer, running costs are irrelevant. Never missed a beat in the 8 years that I’ve owned it and sailed through the previous MOTs. 

OB

We had a 2001 5 door for about six years, bought as the second owner in 2012. Petrol gx, had plenty enough get up and go to keep up with traffic, and provided it was driven carefully, returned about 32mpg (not bad for a 150hp permanent awd car). Brilliant load lugger, especially with the rear seats removed (one lever, took about 20 seconds), and about the most comfy car I've ever owned. Bearing in mind it had the original Michelin tyres on it when we got it (plenty of tread left, but hardened off and cracked), it wasn't too bad off the beaten track. Understand though, it isn't an off road er, just a car that can do a bit more than a normal car off road. New tyres made a difference, I think they were Cooper discoverers. Happy, trouble free motoring, cost us very little in maintenance, and we only got rid because someone reversed into it in a carpark and the insurance company wrote it off. Highly recommended. 

On 06/11/2020 at 21:57, Old Boggy said:

I’ve got a 20 year old 3 door RAV4 that I just use for shooting and other rough use. The back seats are therefore permanently folded forward. It is the 2 litre model and can go anywhere that I need it to go and has tackled some very muddy situations. It is permanent four wheel drive and the diff lock has only been needed once. Not the most economic car, but as my shooting is all within a ten mile radius and most even closer, running costs are irrelevant. Never missed a beat in the 8 years that I’ve owned it and sailed through the previous MOTs. 

OB

Thanks; appreciated. 20year old is a touch old for me but may I ask, if you were to change it today which model would you pick? Cheers again

15 hours ago, Shearwater said:

Thanks; appreciated. 20year old is a touch old for me but may I ask, if you were to change it today which model would you pick? Cheers again

I just like the 3 door models but they don’t do them anymore. I guess that I would get the latest 3 door that they did make. Never bought a new car in my life. 
OB

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I just like the 3 door models but they don’t do them anymore. I guess that I would get the latest 3 door that they did make. Never bought a new car in my life. 
OB

Just for the record, I never bought a new car either, could easily afford one but don't think I would sleep thinking of depreciation!

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

Had a short MK1 short wheelbase, very comfy, no low range or locking diffs.

I think there are better options around for off road use Jimmy is much better offroad. 

What's your budget and how off road are you planning on going.

Budget up to £5k-ish but the cheaper the better, not too off road but wet fields are in play. I get the Jimmeys are fab tools but too small my friend, so what else comes to mind? I did have a Nissan Xtrail on my shortlist

Edited by Shearwater

8 hours ago, figgy said:

If only wet grassy fields any 4x4 with the right tyres will do. A Subaru forester, Volvo xc70. Dacia duster, a for ranger should be in budget along with l200 and d max.

Thanks and am in agreement but have worked out the Rav4 with correct tyres will do the off-road bit and also offers a well built bus. The bit I'm stuck on is which is the best model or more to the point which to avoid?

I would recon you know more than me so may I ask; automatic or manual?

Cheers

Happy so far with our 2011 Rav. I put Cooper ATT tyres on and all good so far. Low range would be nice but it does have a central diff lock.

I went to this from a Jimny, The Jimny was great having low range and being light it didnt get stuck but it was lacking a diff lock and space.

With the Rav I have more space, better fuel consumption, 70mph is more comfortable, I can tow with it, the heated seats are nice and in an accident I have more around me. I just wish there was a bit more ground clearance and as I first said a low range. 

When it needs up grading It will likely be another Rav but an auto and again it will have a set of AT  tyres on it ! 

Is it as capable as a defender..... not off road. But it is cheaper, more reliable, comfortable and capable and arguably safer ! Its all very well a monster truck that gets anywhere for green laning but when the ground is all cut up and the land owner isn't happy that`s no good and its where the lighter ATV`s come in ! 

I'd have the 2ld over the 2.2 but only for economy. They aren't bad cars. Had a new model for 3 or 4 months and it went well. Neighbours had one that towed a horse box over muddy fields and battled the beast from the east with little problem. A few other i know said they never got stuck either. If its tracks, stubbles, muddy fields and the like it will do fine. As will a crv. I quite like them. 

17 hours ago, salop sniper said:

Happy so far with our 2011 Rav. I put Cooper ATT tyres on and all good so far. Low range would be nice but it does have a central diff lock.

I went to this from a Jimny, The Jimny was great having low range and being light it didnt get stuck but it was lacking a diff lock and space.

With the Rav I have more space, better fuel consumption, 70mph is more comfortable, I can tow with it, the heated seats are nice and in an accident I have more around me. I just wish there was a bit more ground clearance and as I first said a low range. 

When it needs up grading It will likely be another Rav but an auto and again it will have a set of AT  tyres on it ! 

Is it as capable as a defender..... not off road. But it is cheaper, more reliable, comfortable and capable and arguably safer ! Its all very well a monster truck that gets anywhere for green laning but when the ground is all cut up and the land owner isn't happy that`s no good and its where the lighter ATV`s come in ! 

May I ask, if you had to replace it today which model would you go for?

17 hours ago, salop sniper said:

^^^^ This sounds like a pretty sensible route and approach to me. I drive a lux and its great off road but I try as hard as possible to avoid taking it anywhere serious. At all costs I want to avoid getting stuck or churning the ground. If I have to use low range or diff lock then I reckon I have gone the wrong way.  

Most of the smaller light weight 4x4 be it rav 4 or crv are great if you drive within their limitations. For me having started with a CRV the issue is not traction but ground clearance. I would argue that my 2011 crv had better 4x4 wizardry than my lux. Tyre for tyre I would reckon it had better grip. For me ground clearance is the no1 issue with the smaller 4x4 even on farm track. Unless I can get higher ground clearance it's of little use even if it's 4x4. 

I just wish they made more defender like interiors. The lux is just too nice inside and I have seat covers and plastic sheeting over everything. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

^^^^ This sounds like a pretty sensible route and approach to me. I drive a lux and its great off road but I try as hard as possible to avoid taking it anywhere serious. At all costs I want to avoid getting stuck or churning the ground. If I have to use low range or diff lock then I reckon I have gone the wrong way.  

Most of the smaller light weight 4x4 be it rav 4 or crv are great if you drive within their limitations. For me having started with a CRV the issue is not traction but ground clearance. I would argue that my 2011 crv had better 4x4 wizardry than my lux. Tyre for tyre I would reckon it had better grip. For me ground clearance is the no1 issue with the smaller 4x4 even on farm track. Unless I can get higher ground clearance it's of little use even if it's 4x4. 

I just wish they made more defender like interiors. The lux is just too nice inside and I have seat covers and plastic sheeting over everything. 

* I'm assuming your lux is a Hilux?

I'm leaning towards a RAV4 but have the CRV, Outlander and Xtrail on my shortlist and like yourself if there it clear the ground then it doesn't matter what drivetrain/tyres you have on it. I can't seem to find anywhere to find the ground clearance distances in order to compare, do you or anyone know where this info is?

31 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

* I'm assuming your lux is a Hilux?

I'm leaning towards a RAV4 but have the CRV, Outlander and Xtrail on my shortlist and like yourself if there it clear the ground then it doesn't matter what drivetrain/tyres you have on it. I can't seem to find anywhere to find the ground clearance distances in order to compare, do you or anyone know where this info is?

I have road tyres on my Hilux but it's pretty good except heavy clay which I try to avoid because of damage to the ground. I will swap to all terrain. The ground clearance changes with the age and the spec of the car. You will have to look at the spec of all the cars you are interested in. Even the way it is measured changes.  My CRV was great until I wedged the engine and gearbox to the bulkhead with mud and stone. I had to clear it with a bar.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/large-suv-4x4-cars.php

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/why-arent-4x4-manufacturers-clear-about-ground-clearance/