ATA?

Fred Flintstone

Ok... here goes with one of ‘those’ dreaded questions about ‘types of gun’!...

Just joining the world of clays really, had a couple of lessons, and had my FEO visit yesterday... all good (great guy, by the way), and given the ‘nod’ 🤪So, will now be sat by the door like a patient dog each morning waiting for the postie!

I’ve been looking over the last few months at various guns... Yildiz, Beretta and Browning being my initial short list.  BUT... I think I am now leaning towards an ATA Supersport as a first gun (fit etc. obviously to be checked). Seems (from various reviews on YT), that they are quite good value for money as a starter and not ‘too’ bad looking, especially at less than a grand brand new (my initial list being more around the 1600 mark). Sure, resale is quite low, but I don’t intend on selling any guns, so not fussed about that too much. 

So, would the good folk here who know far more about this than me potentially recommend one?

Edited by Fred Flintstone

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate got one last year and loves it .he has the adjustable  stock version (much recommended) and he shoots very well with it .his other guns hardly get a look in these days as the ata is now his go to gun .

Have to admit I rather like it too .and if I was in the market for another ou. It would definitely  be the adjustable  ata 

Why not buy a used one? Save yourself the initial hit of depreciation. If you intend to keep the gun for many years then a used Browning, Beretta etc would most likely be a wiser move but dont let anybody tell you that these Turkish Delights are a load of rubbish - they do exactly what they are supposed to do - combine economy with a reasonable quality. If you get chance - buy with your eyes - some Turkish guns have truly awful quality Walnut stocks (many seem to be made from different pieces of off cuts glued together - albeit rather well) whilst another gun from the same batch might have stunning woodwork.

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

My mate got one last year and loves it .he has the adjustable  stock version (much recommended) and he shoots very well with it .his other guns hardly get a look in these days as the ata is now his go to gun .

Have to admit I rather like it too .and if I was in the market for another ou. It would definitely  be the adjustable  ata 

Thanks for the info... 👍 yes, definitely would go for the adjustable stock too... think it’s only around 100 extra, so we’ll worth it.

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Why not buy a used one? Save yourself the initial hit of depreciation. If you intend to keep the gun for many years then a used Browning, Beretta etc would most likely be a wiser move but dont let anybody tell you that these Turkish Delights are a load of rubbish - they do exactly what they are supposed to do - combine economy with a reasonable quality. If you get chance - buy with your eyes - some Turkish guns have truly awful quality Walnut stocks (many seem to be made from different pieces of off cuts glued together - albeit rather well) whilst another gun from the same batch might have stunning woodwork.

Thanks for the info Bruno... to be fair, if there were a good 2nd hand one available when I go, I’d consider it. But I guess, if I’m honest, at that price point I think I’d quite like a new one from the box!

Have to agree that some of the Turkish guns look very nice indeed... I was also looking at the Yildiz pro sport, which has some beautiful walnut for the same price as a g1 beretta/browning!

Go somewhere and handle an ATA against a Beretta (which they have blatantly copied but with a different mechanism) - I did exactly that recently when looking for a new O/U for the game season. On paper ATA is a hell of a lot of gun for the money, and it is in the flesh. However...handle a silver pigeon during the same visit and they really don’t compare. 

Buy a used silver pigeon or browning 525. 

Edited by oscarsdad

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fred, where do you plan to buy from?

Well I’m in Kent, but happy to travel further afield if needed. Will  go to an RFD to buy, rather than private (if 2nd hand), purely as I have very little knowledge of what to look for and would like that added peace of mind.

obviously with shops shut again for 4 weeks, I’m kind of scuppered short term... still, hopefully SGC lands in that time.

9 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

Go somewhere and handle an ATA against a Beretta (which they have blatantly copied but with a different mechanism) - I did exactly that recently when looking for a new O/U for the game season. On paper ATA is a hell of a lot of gun for the money, and it is in the flesh. However...handle a silver pigeon during the same visit and they really don’t compare. 

Buy a used silver pigeon or browning 525. 

Yes.. I did wonder that (handling). Obviously I have no real comparison to use as yet, although I did have a go on my instructors 725, and that felt great!

just not sure I want to go with the obvious choice of SP or 525, though clearly with the volumes sold they are doing something right!

Thanks for your advice 👍

Edited by Fred Flintstone

11 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Well I’m in Kent, but happy to travel further afield if needed. Will  go to an RFD to buy, rather than private (if 2nd hand), purely as I have very little knowledge of what to look for and would like that added peace of mind.

obviously with shops shut again for 4 weeks, I’m kind of scuppered short term... still, hopefully SGC lands in that time.

Yes I know you are in Kent, I wondered where you plan to buy your gun from?

4 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Oh, sorry!

Well closest would be Ashford Guns, but also will defo look at Chris Potter in T Wells... recommended by club.

Chris Potters would be my first choice closely followed by the Country Way at West Malling.

If you ring Chris Potters beforehand and obviously when the lockdown has been relaxed they can let you try a couple of their guns at West Kent Shooting School.

Good luck

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Chris Potters would be my first choice closely followed by the Country Way at West Malling.

If you ring Chris Potters beforehand and obviously when the lockdown has been relaxed they can let you try a couple of their guns at West Kent Shooting School.

Good luck

Cheers... Appreciate the tip Tightchoke. Will do just that!

:drinks:

1 minute ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Oh, sorry!

Well closest would be Ashford Guns, but also will defo look at Chris Potter in T Wells... recommended by club.

I'd consider http://hushpower.co.uk/SG_Gunroom.htm in Biggin Hill as well, they have an area where you can try the guns before you buy.

Also https://www.johnforsey.co.uk in Welling he is always competitive on price, but doesn't have anywhere to try the guns.

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'd consider http://hushpower.co.uk/SG_Gunroom.htm in Biggin Hill as well, they have an area where you can try the guns before you buy.

Also https://www.johnforsey.co.uk in Welling he is always competitive on price, but doesn't have anywhere to try the guns.

Thanks for the tip... :good:will certainly look at the. Biggin Hill shop (was on their web site early today!)

i bought mine, (ATA SP) not knowing how much i was going to enjoy clay shooting (normally on the pigeons) so didnt want to spend a fortune, i enjoy using it, and am as happy as i can be with the fit,  but having tried a few other o/u's now, it does feel a bit bulky and not as pointable. it will be getting upgraded sometime in the new year, but a great starter gun, and worth the knock buying new just for the piece of mind and guarantee 

19 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

i bought mine, (ATA SP) not knowing how much i was going to enjoy clay shooting (normally on the pigeons) so didnt want to spend a fortune, i enjoy using it, and am as happy as i can be with the fit,  but having tried a few other o/u's now, it does feel a bit bulky and not as pointable. it will be getting upgraded sometime in the new year, but a great starter gun, and worth the knock buying new just for the piece of mind and guarantee 

Thanks Eggy... appreciate the honest feedback.

I think, as many have said, that I need to go and try a few different guns and see which ‘feels’ right, rather than looks great on the inter web!

It’s like one massive roundabout this gun-picking lark eh... think you’ve made up your mind then, bam, you change again. Then, before you know it, 3 weeks later you’re back at your first choice! Decisions, decisions :hmm:

mate of mine ordered an ATA via a local gunsmith, it's been on order now for about 6 weeks, the latest news on it was that it has been diverted to a British proof house because the manufacturer's proofing was not recognised. He could probably have found one in stock somewhere but he wanted to give the local guy the business - now he's paying the price.

2 minutes ago, martinj said:

mate of mine ordered an ATA via a local gunsmith, it's been on order now for about 6 weeks, the latest news on it was that it has been diverted to a British proof house because the manufacturer's proofing was not recognised. He could probably have found one in stock somewhere but he wanted to give the local guy the business - now he's paying the price.

Eek! 😟

must admit, I’m a bit of a ‘want it now’ type... I hate waiting for stock to arrive. Think I would definitely be looking for something ‘in stock’ that I can hold/see... 

10 hours ago, jall25 said:

As a newbie - keep it simple

Beretta

Browning

Miroku

Easy for bits and they seldom break and are easy cheap and can be done anywhere if they do

Thanks Jall,

That was my exact short list to look at, primarily as 3 considered well-built solid guns that generally you can’t go wrong with, with added ATA Ssport as the ‘cheapest option’, and Yildiz PS as the nicest looking!

Fred , is it the ally or mild steel action your looking at . My wife has had her ATA  for a long time now . At one time the main dealer for ATA arms was in Ireland . They were the main supplier.  If its the ally action you will need a light load as they do kick . My pals wife has one aswell . As they say a lot of gun for the money plenty of guarantee  , how much would you get on a secondhand one . The company  was good enough to make barrels for  Berretta . And have been on the go a long time the woods used on there stocks are amazing .