ATA?

Fred Flintstone

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

😂

I love a SxS and at the price they are there's something out the for everyone to give them a try. 

When the time is right I will have a W&S 712 in the cabinet.

You do know the 712 is made inTurkey? 
Find yourself a nice Mod.700. It will last for generations.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, London Best said:

You do know the 712 is made inTurkey? 
Find yourself a nice Mod.700. It will last for generations.

I'm pretty sure it's a joint venture with fausti so I like to think there's a good quality gun there but the W&S seen to be cheaper. 

I like the 712 because the few I've seen seemed to fit fairly well. Ive looked at various 700's but none ever felt right 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Allegedly were a sub-contract manufacturer and made the barrels for lower end models, such as the Silver Pigeon.

Not sure about allegedlly - it's on their website + My local RFD told me a couple of years ago as well. They made the actions.

Edited by bruno22rf

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Why are they £50 then :lol:

Ive got a Rem 1100 , 50 years old , it just shoots on and on , but sometimes its impractical to use, like I say , when the ATA packs up out of warranty, Ill buy another, its paid for itself already as far as Im concerned.

So you can join a syndicate that runs twice a month , every month , and it costs the same as doing clays twice a month ?
Must be a cheap syndicate that.

But thats not really what you mean is it ?

Cost of clays twice a month at £50 a pop. £1,200.

You could join a nice little syndicate for that. 

Even if you shot 50 twice a month it’s £600. My small DIY syndicate is around £300 ish if I remember. 

I think you know my point was it’s not exactly cheap. Weren’t we referencing how accessible it is... 

Shooting is a middle class/rich mans game. 

The rest of us are just hanging on the cost rails. People with rough shooting are often on the boundaries of other shoots, trying to get the birds that wander off over the boundary! 

59 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think you know my point was it’s not exactly cheap. Weren’t we referencing how accessible it is... 

Shooting is a middle class/rich mans game. 

£600 or even £1200 a year to shoot clays 26 times a year ?
A decent game day costs that , so what are they,  oil and shipping magnates ? Landed gentry ?

I dont know about your part of the country, but in my club and most other shoots in Notts, its just normal people with normal jobs.
I can only think of one ground (Orston) where theres the odd bloke who would look down their nose at us commoners :lol:

Ive never been what I would describe as 'rich' but as far as hobbies go, clays are not that expensive, 20 years ago I used to spend that in pub every month, at least :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I dont know about your part of the country, but in my club and most other shoots in Notts, its just normal people with normal jobs.
I can only think of one ground (Orston) where theres the odd bloke who would look down their nose at us commoners :lol:

No that's just you!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

6 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Last time I worked it out 100 clays lunch and coffees on a Saturday cost  about half of the cost of a match at one of the main local football clubs.

Aren’t they always going on about how the tickets to the big clubs are no longer affordable to the average man? 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Aren’t they always going on about how the tickets to the big clubs are no longer affordable to the average man? 

Has been the case for about 25 plus years but does not seem to stop many of the fans.  What used to get me was that they thought clays was expensive at half as much for more than twice as long😂

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Wow, I'm middle class, who knew, certainly not me!

Post what you do for a living, your education and your income if you want to clear it up 🤷‍♂️

Bet you won’t. 

Traditionally you could be ‘working class’ as a builder who made a profit of £100,000 a year, and middle class as a primary teacher earning £25,000 a year.

Which ones more likely to be able to afford to go shooting? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lloyd90

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Post what you do for a living, your education and your income if you want to clear it up 🤷‍♂️

Bet you won’t. 

Traditionally you could be ‘working class’ as a builder who made a profit of £100,000 a year, and middle class as a primary teacher earning £25,000 a year.

Which ones more likely to be able to afford to go shooting? 🤷‍♂️

Obviously, that'll be the primary school teacher.

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

They do get all that time off 🤷‍♂️🤣

No, they'll be busy with their second jobs during the holidays and will get the same time off as the rest of us. The answer is that the vast majority of primary school teachers are female and our shooter is married to the builder who cleared the £100,000. Simples.

• 4 months later...

I've commented on a few of these posts as its basically a question i am asked every week, what gun to buy/first gun, so for anyone else looking at this choice- i own an ata as a loan /backup gun and several older miroku's /winchester 101s, 

The ata is well specd for the money-  can get an adjustable, palm swell , looks ok shoots ok, multi choke etc.etc.

So as a first gun its an option-

Now that being said i will only compare it to what you can get for the same money/ as new silver pigeons are over priced for what they are.

But if you can shoot the ata or even strip it down and compare it to an 80s/90s 680, miroku, even a lanber.

They are a fair way off in levels of finish, metallurgy, geometry material quality, coatings, balance, trigger pulls etc.

I am not rubbishing them as they are a decent option and yes the warranty will sway many, but don't be afraid to look at used quality guns. An ata is a decent gun for the money, but for that money you are open to some very very exceptional guns.