Festival of Remembrance

AVB

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AULD YIN said:

certainly the worst i have watched

I appreciate it couldn’t be as normal but I’m tempted to say they should have just not held one this year rather than the poor effort they came up with. 

25 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Every year there is an attempt to modernise this event

We are remembering the fallen from all conflicts and of all ages, so these days the fallen from recent conflicts such as Afghanistan are of course included in our thoughts.  I suppose that their friends and relatives are often of a younger age group - and so may be more in favour of modernisation than the older people with whom the event is more commonly associated.  I didn't watch it myself, but on a personal note, I don't like to see these things modernised ......... but I can understand how others might.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

We are remembering the fallen from all conflicts and of all ages, so these days the fallen from recent conflicts such as Afghanistan are of course included in our thoughts.  I suppose that their friends and relatives are often of a younger age group - and so may be more in favour of modernisation than the older people with whom the event is more commonly associated.  I didn't watch it myself, but on a personal note, I don't like to see these things modernised ......... but I can understand how others might.

Interesting point. 

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Exactly. Does it really matter HOW they are remembered? Surely the important thing is that they ARE remembered? 

1 hour ago, peck said:

I personally thought it was vey respectful. Enjoyed the way they did it. Just waiting to see what happens at the cenotaph. 

just watched it ......very subduded and poininant.................

at least the duke of york wasnt there..

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

People were urged to mark the two minutes silence on their doorsteps I looked up & down my road at 11am not a single person observed it.

I have to admit I both observed it and watched it in front of my TV.  I have also done my usual poppy donation 'on line' as they have obviously not been round this year, (I have last years poppy still to wear).  They are apparently badly down on collections this year.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

People were urged to mark the two minutes silence on their doorsteps I looked up & down my road at 11am not a single person observed it.

I was out walking dog and stopped for the 2 min, dustcart collecting in adjacent road also stopped, much to chagrin of car behind them (single track road).

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Stopped in the middle of the Woods - even the Dogs sat quietly for 2 minutes.

Just now, blackbird said:

Your dogs have more respect than 90% of people 👏

Just what I was going to post.

It really does not take much thought to be respectful.