Greener side by side - how do I repair side safety?

Adam708

Hello ,

I have got this in bits, previous owner has bodged it. Looks like he has wrapped the bar attached to the safety with thin copper to thicken it. Have taken that off there is a flat on the round bar which when the safety catch is in fire position allows the trigger to go up.  

I think the real problem is the corners at the end of the trigger have become rounded with use where the round part of the safety bar has rubbed over many ye ars.  Anybody got a picture / engineers drawing of how it should be?  Had a look in WW Greeners book but the picture does not show enough detail.
Thanks for looking 

Adam

Sorry, first time I have posted. I am referring to a greener 12 g side by side. Thought I had put that info at top of post 

Adam

Oh gosh. I'd not know where even to start other than to remember that Greener's safety is also similar to that favoured on some German weapons so maybe a search on internet video sites for German side safety as well as Greener side safety might help? Greener is still extant today having had various deaths and re-births so they too may be worth a call. Certainly in the trade in Birmingham there will be someone who can sort it.

On a hand built gun like that you won't be able to buy a part that fits without fettling even if you can buy the part at all, if as you say the fault possibly lies with a rounded corner it shouldn't be much trouble for a gunsmith to weld it up and file the corner in to suit. It could also be the case that the flat that the previous owner has shimmed is the part that needs repair.

Thank you everybody will follow up your suggestions and try gather up as much information before doing anything. We had thought as Rob85 that the corners at the back of the triggers should be right angle, not rounded to about 45 deg as they are - there is clear wear on these corners.  
Has anybody got an old stock + action for sale cheap so we can dismantle and have a look? 
Best regards to all 

Adam

Sounds like wear has taken its toll and someone has made a bodge job of an attempted repair. Until this has been removed and the wear ascertained  it will not be possible to do anything . It is most lightly the  trigger blades need to be built up and the safe bar dressed accordingly . Unless you are experienced at fine welding and and fitting of small work , I would leave it to others as it is so easy to make things worse .

I am assuming that it is the original stock as I have seen old Greeners that have been restocked where the side safe has not gone back in exactly the right place and attempts have been made to "rectify" the problem , not all very well .

Gunman - I think you are spot on. Blades need to be built up and maybe safe bar replaced. We think we can do this. It would be good to see a drawing or an original of blades and safe bar as original so we know what we are trying To get to. 
Is it worth contacting Greener ‘S - I see their website is operational. Will they have an original drawing? 
Thanks for taking time to reply 

Adam

I may be wrong but I very much doubt that there will any Greener drawings left as the company was sold out to Webley and Scott in the early 60's and the present "company " has no direct links to the original ,apart from a family name . 

I also doubt if there are any that they will be willing to share them . Theses are the sorts of jobs that gunsmiths do all the time basing their knowledge on years of experience rather than plans that would have been used for the machining of the parts which would then be fitted and adjusted accordingly ,in these instances by the stocker when fitting the safe .These  were not parts that could be just replaced so even if you could make a part to an original spec there is no certainty it will work or to know how much hand work was done after machining .

It is unfortunate that you can not see how it all connects as in other guns so it is a matter of trial and error in building up and taking time and small steps in adjustment .