Winchester 23.

muncher

I owned the waterfowl model 23 for a few years. It differed by having a black action. It was a  multichoked 28 inch barrelled gun and I used it mostly on the foreshore and for inland wildfowling. It didn’t balance as well as my AYA number 3 magnum but I enjoyed owning it. I finally sold it as the raised rib on it coupled with its clumpy balance were not to my exact liking I far prefer my AYA and if I was buying again from scratch would save some money and get an AYA magnum probably the Super Solway model

2 hours ago, muncher said:

I have always fancied one , any members on here that have and use one I’m looking for reviews, I would mainly use it for fowling. 
Cheers. 

Jules i used and shot loads of Duck an Geese the last few seasons when i shot on the marsh to you right where yours ( as you know that's a lot of years ago ) is. 28" Barrels ejector handled ok but personally i prefer a AYA no 3 Magnum which i now use 90% of the time for fowling 

I was loaned one for a round of skeet in the early 1980s - shot a 23 and thought that one day I would get one. Waited over 30 years.

They were well made and handled more like and over and under than a SBS. I could be wrong, but they seemed to be the first of the mainstream big makers to do a single trigger. I have never seen a bad one - owners do seem to look after them. 

2 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Also buyer beware spares are almost impossible to find so it's very expensive hand made parts that saying they are reliable 

I have owned Winchester shotguns from this era from the day I started shooting including lightweight game (several) ,5500 28 and 30 Inch ,6500 30 and 32 inch ,Grand European ,5000 waterfowl 101 waterfowl 30 inch and 32 inch ,23 sxs classic doubles several ,6000 game double trigger game and many more that have faded in the memory through time ..maybe I have been lucky but I have never had one go wrong ever .probably 40-50 not one has ever needed looking at .

On 09/11/2020 at 10:24, holloway said:

I have owned Winchester shotguns from this era from the day I started shooting including lightweight game (several) ,5500 28 and 30 Inch ,6500 30 and 32 inch ,Grand European ,5000 waterfowl 101 waterfowl 30 inch and 32 inch ,23 sxs classic doubles several ,6000 game double trigger game and many more that have faded in the memory through time ..maybe I have been lucky but I have never had one go wrong ever .probably 40-50 not one has ever needed looking at .

I’ve owned around eight as far as I can recall, and still own three. I haven’t had any problems with any of mine, although a mate had a cracked ejector on his GE. It was easily sourced and replaced. 

cat and pigeons,

I own a model 23 in 20 bore. I didnt think such a thing existed until a shooting buddy turned up on our shoot. Took me 1 year but he offered it to me for sale and I bit his hand off. Shot several in the 80s and always had a hankering.

Hard choice between that and my Webley (Fausti) 20b . s x s .

Steve.