Advice please

Humblepie

Hello folks,

I am thinking about starting Wildfowling and have contacted a club on the Humber but wanted some advice on the kit, gun, etc I would need. I have a SxS AYA No 4 and will need to get it checked for shooting steel carts. However the choke is 1/4 on both barrels so good for pigeon but not sure if that would be ok for duck/geese?

Also what basic kit will I need? I am guessing anything that is warm (decent thermals and layers) and waterproof for a start and maybe waders but due to the walking, I am guessing to keep everything to a minimum? Also what about the carts. I currently shoot fibre wad, 32g no 6 for woodies. What is the recommended fibre wad steel shot weight/size for Wildfowling?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Humblepie said:

Hello folks,

I am thinking about starting Wildfowling and have contacted a club on the Humber but wanted some advice on the kit, gun, etc I would need. I have a SxS AYA No 4 and will need to get it checked for shooting steel carts. However the choke is 1/4 on both barrels so good for pigeon but not sure if that would be ok for duck/geese?

Also what basic kit will I need? I am guessing anything that is warm (decent thermals and layers) and waterproof for a start and maybe waders but due to the walking, I am guessing to keep everything to a minimum? Also what about the carts. I currently shoot fibre wad, 32g no 6 for woodies. What is the recommended fibre wad steel shot weight/size for Wildfowling?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed

Thanks

Your club you are thinking of joining will or should have a new members section where you will taken out a few times by one of the old hands who will put you right on the basics you will need , you gun should be fine using steel with 1/4 choke barrels , cartridges , you can start off with 32 gm for duck and maybe 36 gm for geese , use the gun you are used to rather than buy a new gun that you might only fire a few shots from , as you get more used to it you can spend money on a variety of gear like decoys and various calls , if you are in for the long haul you should seriously think about buying a suitable gundog puppy as you will only get part of the enjoyment without one , GOOD LUCK and let us know how you get on .   MM

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Your club you are thinking of joining will or should have a new members section where you will taken out a few times by one of the old hands who will put you right on the basics you will need , you gun should be fine using steel with 1/4 choke barrels , cartridges , you can start off with 32 gm for duck and maybe 36 gm for geese , use the gun you are used to rather than buy a new gun that you might only fire a few shots from , as you get more used to it you can spend money on a variety of gear like decoys and various calls , if you are in for the long haul you should seriously think about buying a suitable gundog puppy as you will only get part of the enjoyment without one , GOOD LUCK and let us know how you get on .   MM

Thanks MM, yeah the club have already said they would let me know and show me the ropes but because of the lockdown they are now not taking new members until next year. I already have a trained Lab that I take pigeon shooting and have a Springer that I am training at the mo. Good to hear I won’t need to change my gun as I quite like it. What shot size would I need?

Appreciate your advice

39 minutes ago, Humblepie said:

Thanks MM, yeah the club have already said they would let me know and show me the ropes but because of the lockdown they are now not taking new members until next year. I already have a trained Lab that I take pigeon shooting and have a Springer that I am training at the mo. Good to hear I won’t need to change my gun as I quite like it. What shot size would I need?

Appreciate your advice

32 gram 4s or 3s in steel should do the job for close to medium range duck. Just make sure you don't put in superior proof steel loads and stick to standard

Hi,

you can get by with a small amount of gear to start then build it from there , the thing is you are best off taking a few trips with a club member to see if it is what you want to do.   So apart from the gun and carts , to start , at least thigh waders or a strong waterproof pants and wellies ,  a decent waterproof jacket low viz , a head torch , a waterproof pouch for your phone and car keys , a face covering , nothing scares the ducks like a white face pointing skywards , gloves and a Decent back pack . On a long hike in a poor pack is a killer . You can sort decoys once you know if it is something you want to do . Oh and have a spare set of clothes in the car and a snack of course. Good luck and enjoy.