Dacia Duster

misser

HI... was looking at a dacia duster as a bit of an off road shooting bus and general car for everyday use, on the surface they seem to be OK but thought I would ask if anyone on here has one or any experiences of them...all comments welcome, it was the 4x4 version I was interested in...ground clearance is quite important as some of the tracks I want it for are used by tractors and the wheel ruts are quite deep....thanks again...atb...misser 

I don't own one but all the reports I have heard about say they are good off road (with the right tyres) but a little rough around the edges on road, they did have some rust problems with the early models but that was sorted on the newer cars, for the money they look like a good buy, but you may have problems with ground clearance (21cm) if the ruts are very deep.

Having said that I used to take my Ford Sierra estate down some farm tracks that you would think twice about in a 4x4. :)

Edited by old'un

My mate has one and likes it, he out daily doing mole catching. 

Depends what your comparing it against really. It's not a posh or flashy car. Very basic. 

I test drove an older model (think 2018+ have a new more efficient and smoother engine). I found it very clunky and juttery.

I was later told that 1st gear is so low revs your supposed to pull off in 2nd etc. The rev limit on the gears is very low and its not a car I'd want to drive over 60mph regularly. 

Probably comparable to a Suzuki Jimny but with a bit more spare to be honest. 

I’ve had a Jimny and a Duster (currently a 2014 4wd Laureate.

The Duster is much roomier inside. I always found the Jimny a bit snug when in the driving seat.

The Duster performs fine on motorways. Mine is a 1.5Dci, which for my usual shortish trips gets around 40mpg, rising to high 40s on longer journeys.

Only issue I have is that the A/C condenser needs replaced, as the existing one is corroded and loses gas quickly.

Haven’t really driven it offroad but i’ve heard that they’re very able.

Look out for rust at the back on pre 2014 models.

They have come a long way since the late 80s when I did a road test for a magazine, but even back then it did not break down and I gave it a good tests in the Welsh Hills.

I have a friend who has a new version and he seems very pleased with it and as long as it doesn't get really testing he gets around on a shoot day along with Landies and Jap trucks ok.  Worth looking at for sure.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Had a test drive in one before the first Lockdown, and a Skoda Yeti. The Dacia is very plastic and basic inside. The Yeti however beat it hands down on just about everything exept price. 

Things haven't changed much since the late 80s then, because that was my major dislike of the Duster back then.  I may be wrong but I believ it was fitted with a Merc engine back then.

I've for a Dacia Duster 4x4, and i am really pleased with it and will get another one. My mileage is however very low, and i have not towed a trailer with it. It does however perform well on the rough tracks i go along to go fishing. 

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 2019 plate ( built in Nov 2018 ), manual petrol 1.6 4x4.

Had a jimny for over 12 years and loved it. Only changed as grandchildren needed a 5 door.

I paid just over £13,000 as I ordered the optional spare wheel. Essential model, white as it is cheaper.

Love the 6 gears, you get used to taking off in second. Get average short and long journey 36 plus mpg. Can hit 70 mph on motorway no problems. Bit plasticy, think outer  door handles, but overall very happy with it.

Haven't really put it off road only farm tracks due to all the lockdown stuff and weather.

Would I recommend one ? YES.

I did the farm shoot pheasant feed round on Thursday and used my friends 2014 Duster again. Everywhere was very wet and muddy but the Duster took it all in it’s stride including slippy Derbyshire hillsides (Ashbourne area). This was on arable, grass and through woodland. When I handed it back my friend just said, “I hope you’re going to clean that!”

On 21/11/2020 at 21:50, London Best said:

I did the farm shoot pheasant feed round on Thursday and used my friends 2014 Duster again. Everywhere was very wet and muddy but the Duster took it all in it’s stride including slippy Derbyshire hillsides (Ashbourne area). This was on arable, grass and through woodland. When I handed it back my friend just said, “I hope you’re going to clean that!”

Good tyres on it I assume?