2020 Jimny

craig1982

Has anybody got one or driven one. Not too bothered with their motorway manners or fast dual carriageways. It would be a second car for shooting and country road driving . I would want to take down farm tracks and across the occasional field. What are they like for rusting and corrosion. Got my Defender on the bay at the moment and a 2019 / 2020 is a possible replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad bought one, sold it after about six months. Lived it but a bit too small for his needs.

Don't see many about due to not meeting the emissions for Europe. 

To me they only make sense if you have limited space for parking and oy driving on tight country lanes.

They do look good and are comfy inside.

What would put me off is Suzuki withdrawn them.  Prices could drop.

A Dacia duster 4x4 will do what you want much cheaper and drive better.

Philistines.! My buddy has bought a brand new one, mini hummer to the eye. Engine now a bit bigger, he sold his old defender.Just him and the cocker works fine.

Ive got an 06. 1300 engine and a shogun lwb. Jimny is for fun and with proper off road tyres its a quad with a heater and radio.

They do rot underneath but its got a chassis and that can be welded.

I have put roof bars on and then a cage. I can get 2 x 40 gallon containers on the roof, which looks amazing.

Next job is to lift it.

Suzuki only bringing in about 1800 units to Uk and  EU emissions have killed it. I have heard they will be bringing in without back seats as a commercial, which have higher emission tolerances.

Who needs back seats ?

Steve.

Exactly that, prices for new bought carry a premium as they are so hard to get.

There are two models but the best one is the basic as had cd/radio and better wheels. The more expensive model has digital stuff and alloys. 

They do hold their price which tells you something , but I never exceed 60 on highway . Oversteer, cramped, but you either love or loathe.

Best borrow one for a few hours to see, , 

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/11/2020 at 23:38, figgy said:

My dad bought one, sold it after about six months. Lived it but a bit too small for his needs.

Don't see many about due to not meeting the emissions for Europe. 

To me they only make sense if you have limited space for parking and oy driving on tight country lanes.

They do look good and are comfy inside.

What would put me off is Suzuki withdrawn them.  Prices could drop.

A Dacia duster 4x4 will do what you want much cheaper and drive better.

I have a friend with a Duster and he seems to go more or less where all the other 4x4s go on a shooting day. Tidy little car for the price.  I agree I would choose the Duster over the Jimney.  BUT at the moment will stick with my mildly modified Landie 90.  It is all down to 'fitting the bill' and if it does then great.

4 hours ago, craig1982 said:

Well my Defender has gone. A Jimny has arrived. It's just a 3/4 size Defender.  Will do everything the Defender would do. 65 mph on a dual carriage, up to 40 mpg. £150 tax. OK it will not tow a 2 ton trailer, but I never did. 

Absolute RUBBISH ! had to pull a Jimny and a l200 out last weekend both grounded out in some tractor tracks, the trusty old defender to thr rescue. Jimny track width is to narrow in anything but ther own wheel tracks

5 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Absolute RUBBISH ! had to pull a Jimny and a l200 out last weekend both grounded out in some tractor tracks, the trusty old defender to thr rescue. Jimny track width is to narrow in anything but ther own wheel tracks

there are some drivers that could get stuck in a hovercraft though, my old vitara with mud tyres on used to go pretty much anywhere, my l200 has gotten me out of a fair number of dodgy places up to now without having to resort to a winch. I have never had to pull a stuck defender out but I have towed a couple to a safe place to await recovery.

On 13/12/2020 at 09:13, craig1982 said:

Well my Defender has gone. A Jimny has arrived. It's just a 3/4 size Defender.  Will do everything the Defender would do. 65 mph on a dual carriage, up to 40 mpg. £150 tax. OK it will not tow a 2 ton trailer, but I never did. 

I had a 2007 Jimny great little 4x4 reliable and rot free. I drove it for over 150k miles and never used a drop of oil or failed to start. The only parts it needed were a transfer box chain and a engine pulley, the damper fell off.

However its one fault is a real pain, the bloody front axle a budget copy of Land Rovers' causing steering wobble (mainly with alloy wheels). I tried everything, pre-loading the swivel pins, fitting a steering damper etc. The final fix was to fit a complete set of good track rod ends. New ones are pretty stiff ie friction and will probably last 25 to 30k before they ease and wobble returns.