Alliant Steel, VP70 and shot size

Hi All, 

Getting back into some reloading after re-joining the wildfowling club now I have time to get back out again.

I used to use the following

76mm case, 36 grains Alliant Steel, Vagner VP70 wad with 3mm cork, 32g no3 with 3mm cork on the end. 1458fps.

Can I use this load with a BB fill or do I really need to stick to the suggested 3,5mm (#3 shot).

If not does anyone have an Alliant steel 3" (76mm) recipe I could use with BB shot?

Guest cookoff013

Yeah you can fill it with bb.

Can i also play devils advocate and suggest you find or use data thats 3" 36g of shot.

Alliant steel powder gets really good at 36g payloads. Its fast enough, good shotweight, and overall probably better than thos speedster loads at that shotsize

17 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

This link has left me none the wiser? 

They're talking about a load thats never been tested?

3 Fed 0.090 Intergral BW 1 1/4 Steel 1,355 Fed 209A Steel Precision Reloading TUPRW123 33 10,500 1/2 inch felt spacer under shot
3 Fed 0.090 Intergral BW 1 1/4 Steel 1,370 Fed 209A Steel Ballistic Products #3221230 33 10,500 1/2 inch felt spacer under shot
3 Fed 0.090 Intergral BW 1 1/4 Steel 1,435 Fed 209A Steel Reloading Specialities 12 ga 3" 37 10,800 1/2 inch felt spacer under shot

Alliant have these on their site.

The last one looks interesting/good. But I cant seem to find the "Reloading Specialities 12 ga 3" " wad.....

Here is a load I've been given and loaded a lot of. Known as the holy grail load a cross the pond.

76mm chedite case bp, sam1 or similar steel wad, 36grains of A steel powder CX 2000 primer, six star crimp. 

If using a maxam case use a 209 primer as primer hole in maxam cases are bigger.

You can drop a grain or add a grain of powder. 35 gr of powder is nice a little slower but good patterns, 37gr can blow the pattern and kicks a bit more. 36gr was the happy medium. Run at around 1450 fps for the 37grain load and 1400 for the 36 grain.

Have a look via search and some should come up.

Edited by figgy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi you can find data for 10gauge on ballistics products website, number 151002-7246 l used 3.8mm and 151005-7250 l used 4.5mm. I have loaded them and they are very good. I have data for 12gauge but I don’t load steel in 12gauge. The data is for Cheditte cases and primers . I can send you a copy of the data. I’m not good with using the computer l can the experts later to do it for me later. Good luck with your loading.

Yes it's 36gram load of steel shot as that's where A Steel powder starts to work best. If your wanting to load 32g try blue dot or a maxam powder. Load recipes on their websites.

I use the 36g load data as I buy all my 32g carts, not worth loading. Factory 32g are more than good enough. 

If you want BB shot move up to 36g to get enough shot for a pattern.

Guest cookoff013
23 hours ago, figgy said:

Yes it's 36gram load of steel shot as that's where A Steel powder starts to work best. If your wanting to load 32g try blue dot or a maxam powder. Load recipes on their websites.

I use the 36g load data as I buy all my 32g carts, not worth loading. Factory 32g are more than good enough. 

If you want BB shot move up to 36g to get enough shot for a pattern.

You got it. 

On 30/11/2020 at 08:19, iamspuddy said:

hi  is the above 36gram  just checking .......i bought the ballistics status of steel  book . they seem to prefer fast light payloads keeping the pellet count comparable to lead .

has anyone tried any of those recipes in 10g ,12g ...3  31/2  in Alliant steel cheers 

I load 10 bore3.5” using cheddite case, 42 gns A Steel and 42gms steel shot in a multi metal wad with 6 star crimp. I use either BB or BBB. This is a first class load and used by everyone I know up here that use the 10.

On 02/12/2020 at 12:44, Dave at kelton said:

I load 10 bore3.5” using cheddite case, 42 gns A Steel and 42gms steel shot in a multi metal wad with 6 star crimp. I use either BB or BBB. This is a first class load and used by everyone I know up here that use the 10.

I've used the same load in a 12 bore 31/2" case, it was fast and works. 

With A Steel it seems to be a rule of thumb to use the same numbers for shot and powder. 36g shot with 36grains of A Steel powder. 42grams and 42grains.

I was worried about it being hot but some members had been using it for years.👍

33 minutes ago, figgy said:

With A Steel it seems to be a rule of thumb to use the same numbers for shot and powder. 36g shot with 36grains of A Steel powder. 42grams and 42grains.

In 3” 12 the boys who load here use 38 A steel with 34 gms shot

45 minutes ago, figgy said:

😳😳 , il guarantee you that 42/42 in a 12 bore is waaay over pressure and you’ve not even stated what wad to use ? There is a world of difference in pressures between a sam1 and a TPS wad in the same loads ,with sam 1 creating less pressure than any other steel wad 

14 minutes ago, allanm said:

😳😳 , il guarantee you that 42/42 in a 12 bore is waaay over pressure and you’ve not even stated what wad to use ? There is a world of difference in pressures between a sam1 and a TPS wad in the same loads ,with sam 1 creating less pressure than any other steel wad 

I would agree with you on that as I've a tested load that's 42 grain pushing 39gram and it's a midgys d!ck under the limit on pressure. So 42 pushing 42 will be over. 

1 hour ago, m greeny said:

I would agree with you on that as I've a tested load that's 42 grain pushing 39gram and it's a midgys d!ck under the limit on pressure. So 42 pushing 42 will be over. 

On 02/12/2020 at 12:44, Dave at kelton said:

so is 42 42 in a 12    different to 42 42 in a 10 

pressure wise as i appreciate the volume is bigger in the 10 so does that tip it under?

i have both sam1 and tps wads 

Edited by iamspuddy

5 minutes ago, iamspuddy said:

so is 42 42 in a 12    different to 42 42 in a 10 

pressure wise as i appreciate the volume is bigger in the 10 so does that tip it under?

i have both sam1 and tps wads 

I can’t say because I haven’t tested it in 12. In the 12 I use Gamebore Mammoth cartridges in BB. I would though be interested to learn.

48 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I can’t say because I haven’t tested it in 12. In the 12 I use Gamebore Mammoth cartridges in BB. I would though be interested to learn.

im liking the sound of your 10g load i guess you still have all your fingers .....tps or sam 1  or something else   i am after a good a steel 10g load 

thanks  

Edited by iamspuddy

On 30/11/2020 at 10:04, Gas seal said:

Hi you can find data for 10gauge on ballistics products website, number 151002-7246 l used 3.8mm and 151005-7250 l used 4.5mm. I have loaded them and they are very good. I have data for 12gauge but I don’t load steel in 12gauge. The data is for Cheditte cases and primers . I can send you a copy of the data. I’m not good with using the computer l can the experts later to do it for me later. Good luck with your loading.

thanks ive just looked them up 42  /38.5g  1425fps looks good