Alliant Steel, VP70 and shot size

1 hour ago, iamspuddy said:

im liking the sound of your 10g load i guess you still have all your fingers .....tps or sam 1  or something else   i am after a good a steel 10g load 

thanks  

Yes have all my fingers. Use Claygame bpd wads but can’t believe it matters. I put a cork 20g wad in the shot cup to bulk out. I use with Kicks full choke. I started playing with a complete fibre load before lockdown but it will have to wait until next close season now.

If you are looking for a good 10 bore load  get yourself on the refuge forums and get a copy of " High  performance reloading for the 10 gauge" book by 10gaugenut it has 12  loads in steel with speeds up to 1675fps along with the relevant pressure data it also has another 12 loads for lead as well.

Its well worth the money

12 hours ago, aberisle said:

If you are looking for a good 10 bore load  get yourself on the refuge forums and get a copy of " High  performance reloading for the 10 gauge" book by 10gaugenut it has 12  loads in steel with speeds up to 1675fps along with the relevant pressure data it also has another 12 loads for lead as well.

Its well worth the money

ive just joined it  ...any idea how much it is ,is it a physical book they will mail or  is it a download.

ive asked them but waiting for a reply 

Its  booklet of about 15 pages its home produced but very good, the guy Joe (10gaugenut) sadly died around this time last year, his widow  is very kindly allowing the book to still be made available, there is a post on the Refuge forum  under "Mrs 10gaugenut" you can make contact through that and get the book.

Mine cost me about £18 and its well worth it.

Hi iamspuddy the 47 buffer is recommended for the steel data . Hi Dave the BPD are a thicker walled wad, I found in the non split type if the cuts are not long enough it won’t open. When I load with ITM I cut it the full length with four cuts. I use TPS for steel and power shot and BPD for ITM. 

2 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi iamspuddy the 47 buffer is recommended for the steel data . Hi Dave the BPD are a thicker walled wad, I found in the non split type if the cuts are not long enough it won’t open. When I load with ITM I cut it the full length with four cuts. I use TPS for steel and power shot and BPD for ITM. 

Thanks hadn’t compared wads as just used this one.

12 hours ago, aberisle said:

Its  booklet of about 15 pages its home produced but very good, the guy Joe (10gaugenut) sadly died around this time last year, his widow  is very kindly allowing the book to still be made available, there is a post on the Refuge forum  under "Mrs 10gaugenut" you can make contact through that and get the book.

Mine cost me about £18 and its well worth it.

just heard from her    certified cheque for $75    of which $50 shipping so ill give it a miss unfortunately

Hi when loading steel shot it’s about pattern and penetration/energy. Hard round shot will pattern better than soft lead shot. Good loading data is available, and more data will follow. Steel is a lightweight pellet and will have a limited (range) when I watched my dad and his friends loading for hand guns they would say, double the weight double the energy, double the speed quadruple the energy. The way to test penetration is with ballistic gel, it doesn’t have to be to military standards, it’s for comparison. Fire a good commercial cartridge at the gel push a coloured straw into the pellet hole, fire your cartridge and see the difference. You end up with a lump of jelly with a lot of coloured straws sticking out, like a porcupine. But you know what your cartridges are doing. We used yellow pages or catalogs, counting pages after each shot, that didn’t last long. I find that chokes make a difference, try changing chokes before changing cartridge.