Something not quite right...

Demonic69

Having finally bought a mower I decided to tackle a few little issues that were present. Initially clearing off all the old grass that was clogging every bit of the deck and back end. Surprisingly, this took a lot longer than I thought.

The top of the deck was absolutely full, so I pulled the deck off as I wanted to sharpen the blades anyway. Cleaned the top of the deck, un-seized the deck brake and fitted new bolts.

Turning the deck over revealed a little surprise. The seller stated the blades could do with sharpening. One of them was so blunt it had taken itself off for a good talking to. The next few hours were spent cleaning the grass off and trying to figure out why they'd used the mower to trim several carpets. Eventually I'll strip the blade holders down entirely, but for now I've scraped all of the bits of material from around the shafts and lubed them up. New blades will be checked for balance and fitted at the weekend if they've arrived. Then I'll start on making sure the drive belt is tight and adjusting the neutral position. Seems like a fun new hobby for now, even better when I get my new garage!

20201107_173832_copy_1512x1134.jpg

20201108_161430_copy_1512x1134.jpg

20201108_135824_copy_1512x1134.jpg

20201108_161308_copy_1512x1134.jpg

20201108_162523_copy_1512x2016.jpg

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Was it sold unseen?

Did you not check any of it?

Sold unseen, ebay purchase. Was checked over by the guy who collected it for me but he just made sure it was running and wasn't a rust bucket. I took the risk but it was cheap enough and I'd factored in the cost of replacing a few things. The deck is solid and everything works, so I've been lucky so far. Hopefully a little TLC will see it last another 12 years!