Disc cutter repair or chuck?

harrycatcat1

I have had this cutter probably 10 years but it has had very little use to be honest but the other day as I was cutting a small piece of concrete it just stopped working.

I changed the fuse, it didn't work. I then lathered it in wd40 but that's not worked.

Is there anything I can try or do I just chuck it?

20201109_185243.jpg

20201109_185234.jpg

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

unscrew the brushes holder........the carbon pick ups might be dirty or stuffed.........if it is the carbon pick ups they are cheap as chips to buy new.............

if not chuck it

Thanks I will have a look at the brushes tomorrow 👍👍👍

8 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

I would Chuck it, they are cheap enough to get a new one.

To be honest I don't think I paid a lot for this one.

5 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks I will have a look at the brushes tomorrow 👍👍👍

While you're at it, get yourself a proper blade [diamond] for using on concrete, just to be on the safe side 😉

Edit to add,,,, the lead could have broken near the entry point ? Common occurrence.

Edited by JKD

If you have a compressor - blow out the electrics and get rid of any muck. Less than a minute - might save you getting anew one. Probably brushes at the end of the day. 

It really depends whether you like to tinker. If you take it apart - nothing to lose - something to gain.

40 minutes ago, JKD said:

While you're at it, get yourself a proper blade [diamond] for using on concrete, just to be on the safe side 😉

Edit to add,,,, the lead could have broken near the entry point ? Common occurrence.

I reckon it came with that blade, to honest I can't remember now🤔🤔

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

If you have a compressor - blow out the electrics and get rid of any muck. Less than a minute - might save you getting anew one. Probably brushes at the end of the day. 

It really depends whether you like to tinker. If you take it apart - nothing to lose - something to gain.

I will see if I can fathom it out, thanks 👍

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I would chuck it to be honest.  I have replaced brushes in a couple of thinmgs but they never lasted more than a few hours before blwoing up again.  A check of the wiring etc might be a good idea first though.  Go that extra mile and buy a reputable make.

I bet this has not run an hour in total 🙄🙄

28 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Chuck it, my last one caught fire while cutting one day, think its replacement only cost £25. the old one had done some serious work mind!

👍

3 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Check for a break in the cable. Usually just before it enters the casing

Thanks I will check it 👍