SUGG Sports gun shop in Sheffield

Does anyone remember Suggs Sports shops in Sheffield.

Roland Wood was the RFD and a true gent, he lived in Rivelin across the dam wall in a house rented from the Duke of Norfolk.

Tim Sugg had a gun on the Ronksley and Birchinlee grouse syndicate in the Upper Derwent Valley.

They sold " everting from a cricket bat to a box of cartridges ".

I bought these cartridges in the early 80's for £12.50, when Eley Grand Prix were still £2.80 a box !

Suggs 3.jpg

Suggs 2.jpg

Suggs 1.jpg

Edited by tonyshooter

I bought my first 10bore from R . Woods 1972 , I paid £93 , seem to think I paid about £4 for a box of 25 Remington 3.1/3 inch , my mate also bougth a 10 bore ,and we bought aload 3inch eleys from our local gunshop for£1 .50 a box  (Halls in Chesterfield) boy was he pleased to see us he thought he was stuck with em . that ten is still being used, the bloke thats got it had it bored out to a 8 and carn't get it to pattern lol

Edited by derbyduck

I do remember Suggs, though only as the place to go when football boots needed yet another tin of dubbin. 

For me the best gun shop in Sheffield was Arthur Turners, when they were on West Bar. Back in the 60's, any trip to the city centre wasn't complete until I had stood for several minutes, looked longingly through their shop window.

• 5 months later...

New to the forum, so apologies for the late pickup on this post.

Yes, I remember Suggs, I bought my first air gun from them, a Gat,  that was after moving up from the two silver six guns I'd had bought me from Redgates, happy days. Obviously I then moved on to things that went with a real bang and used to buy from Suggs, Turners and John Halls in Chesterfield.

On 03/05/2021 at 10:42, claydodger said:

New to the forum, so apologies for the late pickup on this post.

Yes, I remember Suggs, I bought my first air gun from them, a Gat,  that was after moving up from the two silver six guns I'd had bought me from Redgates, happy days. Obviously I then moved on to things that went with a real bang and used to buy from Suggs, Turners and John Halls in Chesterfield.

Ah, Redgates, now that was a proper shop😁

On 12/11/2020 at 17:57, derbyduck said:

I bought my first 10bore from R . Woods 1972 , I paid £93 , seem to think I paid about £4 for a box of 25 Remington 3.1/3 inch , my mate also bougth a 10 bore ,and we bought aload 3inch eleys from our local gunshop for£1 .50 a box  (Halls in Chesterfield) boy was he pleased to see us he thought he was stuck with em . that ten is still being used, the bloke thats got it had it bored out to a 8 and carn't get it to pattern lol

Bet it kicks a bit as well 

On 05/05/2021 at 10:19, claydodger said:

Sadly they have all gone, not sure if John Hall's is still going via his son.

the shop is still there but shut ,I went past yesterday and the door into the old shop still has stickers and adverts on it , what an entrance  to a man cave that would be .

• 2 weeks later...

This could make a great thread.Somewhat depressing as a lot have shut.We have none in Blackpool when there used to be2 and every ironmonger,fishing and sports shop used to sell airguns.

Some nice pieces of nostalgia could be on it.And of course photos.

Sorry to high jack the thread.

10 hours ago, wisdom said:

This could make a great thread.Somewhat depressing as a lot have shut.We have none in Blackpool when there used to be2 and every ironmonger,fishing and sports shop used to sell airguns.

My first air rifle was from a second hand shop or rather junk shop in them days. Had it refurbished by Arthur Turner for about 5/- (five shillings, 25p). Sold it back to the junk shop a few years later, only to see it appear in my fishing tackle shop 10 years later so bought it back again. 

2 hours ago, claydodger said:

After the Gat my second airgun was also from a junk shop, it was on Langsette Road in Sheffield and if I remember right I swapped a guitar for it, obviously I didn't tell my parents.

Junk shop on Langsett Road. Patnicks, red fronted shop at least a double fronted. Later Counciler Irvine Patnick, a real gentleman. 

Hi Centrepin, no the junk shop I used was down near the bottom end of kelvin flats in the same block as the fishing tackle shop, Patnick's shop was further towards Hillsborough on the opposite side of the road from the Masons pub and that block of shops, the shop I think was run by Mrs Patnick, I used to go in there to buy 78's.

3 hours ago, claydodger said:

Hi Centrepin, no the junk shop I used was down near the bottom end of kelvin flats in the same block as the fishing tackle shop, Patnick's shop was further towards Hillsborough on the opposite side of the road from the Masons pub and that block of shops, the shop I think was run by Mrs Patnick, I used to go in there to buy 78's.

I know the one you mean opposite the Kelvin, there was another couple further down opposite the Infirmary too.

That fishing tackle shop on the corner of Albert Terrace Rd used to sell tied hooks individually to kids who couldn't afford a full packet. My dad was so tight he'd send me to buy them for his pub fishing matches.

On 23/05/2021 at 20:51, wisdom said:

I thought Blackpool air rifle shop was still open and there was a guy called Kershaw, a gunsmith/dealer who worked on and sold Blackpowder guns