SUGG Sports gun shop in Sheffield

6 hours ago, claydodger said:

Now that was tight, did you have to get his bait as well, if memory serves me well I can remember paying 2 bob for a pint of maggots

My dad was very tight, only person I know that took only 1 pint of maggots to fish the trent. Maggots were I think 6d a pint, that would have been from Dawsons in Hillsborough. We only had metal containers for them then. Best bait was from Andys Tackle on Langsett rd. He was the only person selling casters, he used to stand with a bucket under his arm picking them in the shop. Every other tackle shop still sold them as Usk.

6 hours ago, claydodger said:

I thought Blackpool air rifle shop was still open and there was a guy called Kershaw, a gunsmith/dealer who worked on and sold Blackpowder guns

Blackpool Air rifles is still going but they have stopped selling shotgun cartridges.they still do airguns as per the name.

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

My dad was very tight, only person I know that took only 1 pint of maggots to fish the trent. Maggots were I think 6d a pint, that would have been from Dawsons in Hillsborough. We only had metal containers for them then. Best bait was from Andys Tackle on Langsett rd. He was the only person selling casters, he used to stand with a bucket under his arm picking them in the shop. Every other tackle shop still sold them as Usk.

Thanks for reminding me of Andys tackle shop, it's been that long I'd forgotten his name, also used Dawsons and there was a bait shop we used to call in on the way at Swallownest but again I can't remember the name.