Cravat

oscarsdad

6 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

The latter but I wear one when in full muzzle loading gear with top hat or bowler!

a shirt and tie     out of respect for the game you are about to harvests as my sons do  and i do    and god  help them if they dont    they will never forget to wear a tie   again    trust me          on the hill or lowlands or highlands  its about respect     for your quarry    a tie      friends wear a cravat   on a black powder day  all about respect for your quarry         not killing       you are taking a life  respect and dress appropriately  game or ground game 

Edited by Saltings

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one with game birds on it a few years ago, very comfortable with shirts that would otherwise be tight around the neck with a tie. I like the look of them, but I also don't care how I look when I'm back down the pub after, starts a conversation with the locals! P.s I was early 30's when I got it. 

Why do people wear a tie when shooting? The same reason they wear a stock when hunting. It can be used in an emergency as a sling for a broken collar bone, arm or wrist. Or to splint a broken leg or as a tourniquet to stop someone from bleeding to death. The stuff about "respect for the game" is a much quoted modern nonsense similar to the other often said nonsense that people out riding to hounds in their red cloth coats are wearing "hunting pink".

Edited by enfieldspares

Is it really ‘respect to your quarry’ if you blow it out of the sky whilst wearing a tie? 

I get that if your on a smart day that traditional comes into it. And you wouldn’t go to a ball dressed in tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt. 

But where does respect for the quarry come into it? Does the pheasant refuse to drop if shot by a scruffy chav, but drop at your feet like a salute if your wearing the appropriate attire? 🤔

Someone in jeans and t shirt can select a pheasant in the sky that affords a sure shot and drop it cleanly, take it home and enjoy it as a meal. Full respect shown.

someone in full get up including tie and matched Purdeys can try their luck at pheasants a little too high for them really, resulting in pricked birds which may or may not eventually be picked up by the dog before someone else puts it out their misery for the shooter. Before quaffing a few ports or sherries and driving off leaving all the carcasses for someone else to deal with. Zero respect shown.

Wearing a tie, cravat, bow tie, or your birthday suit has naff all to do with respect for quarry.

Edited by southeastpete

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is it really ‘respect to your quarry’ if you blow it out of the sky whilst wearing a tie? 

I get that if your on a smart day that traditional comes into it. And you wouldn’t go to a ball dressed in tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt. 

But where does respect for the quarry come into it? Does the pheasant refuse to drop if shot by a scruffy chav, but drop at your feet like a salute if your wearing the appropriate attire? 🤔

Thinking it’s more about dressing for the day and respect for the host and his team 

you can’t really expect them to put in any effort if you can’t be bothered 

On 10/11/2020 at 03:23, Saltings said:

a shirt and tie     out of respect for the game you are about to harvests as my sons do  and i do    and god  help them if they dont    they will never forget to wear a tie   again    trust me          on the hill or lowlands or highlands  its about respect     for your quarry    a tie      friends wear a cravat   on a black powder day  all about respect for your quarry         not killing       you are taking a life  respect and dress appropriately  game or ground game 

Lacking in so many these days but I am happy to say it is still observed in the shooting community.  On any walked up days even if only two or three of us, we always dressed the same. 

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thinking it’s more about dressing for the day and respect for the host and his team 

you can’t really expect them to put in any effort if you can’t be bothered 

Nothing wrong with that. 

I will always wear a shirt and tie if going out on a formal shoot, even small farm shoots as a guest.

If going out rough shooting on my own or chasing ducks, no shirt and tie I’m afraid. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nothing wrong with that. 

I will always wear a shirt and tie if going out on a formal shoot, even small farm shoots as a guest.

If going out rough shooting on my own or chasing ducks, no shirt and tie I’m afraid. 

I am sorely dissappointed in you Lloydie. Always got the impression you would be a fine dresser for all occasions:unhappy:

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I am sorely dissappointed in you Lloydie. Always got the impression you would be a fine dresser for all occasions

Like I said, I do on the formal days ;) 

Don't see many fowlers out in shirt and tie mind you. 

I agree with the above view that dressing appropriately is more about respect for the tradition, the host, and the others present. Just like you wouldn't use a semi auto or pump action on a driven shoot.

You could/would use a semi auto or pump out rough shooting, shooting a flight pond or wildfowling. Just like you don't need to wear a shirt and tie (but you can if you would like to). I have done so, on 'formal' rough shooting days, where there are several of us doing a bit of walked up as a club. 

If it's just me mostly training the dog then I don't see the need to dress to impress myself ;) 

It's whatever you feel comfortable in and how you view the day. I mainly attend farm shoots, 8-50 bird days but usually always wear breeks, colourful socks etc, because I enjoy to and I like to make the most of the few days. Foxing, pigeons or whatever is different. It was the same with rugby, some didn't want to dress up after a game but I always liked shirt, tie and smart shoes, especially after a week in Steel toecap's and hi-viz's. 

Must admit I never wear a tie and not about to start now.

Nowadays mainly picking up more than shooting, but even when I ran my own syndicate never wore a tie.

Just not me, always tidy( ish) often +4s and shirt waist coat but all about being practical and comfy.

I'm paid to put birds in the bag not look good in a tie, most of the other pickers on most off shoots I go to including the grouse rather wear a tie

Like a few have said earlier wearing a tie does not mean u will respect the bird, seen folk dressed up like they stepped out of a catalogue many times with no clue or respect for birds.

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

Must admit I never wear a tie and not about to start now.

Nowadays mainly picking up more than shooting, but even when I ran my own syndicate never wore a tie.

Just not me, always tidy( ish) often +4s and shirt waist coat but all about being practical and comfy.

I'm paid to put birds in the bag not look good in a tie, most of the other pickers on most off shoots I go to including the grouse rather wear a tie

Like a few have said earlier wearing a tie does not mean u will respect the bird, seen folk dressed up like they stepped out of a catalogue many times with no clue or respect for birds.

It would clash with the kilt unless they do a tartan one 🤔🤭🤐