Tories to ban more guns.

enfieldspares

Because as we all know shooting and ownership of guns is always safe under the Tories. 

Supposedly the calibres are: 

– .320 British (also known as .320 Revolver CF, short or long)

– .41 Colt (short or long)

– .44 Smith and Wesson Russian

– .442 Revolver (also known as .44 Webley)

– 9.4mm Dutch Revolver

– 10.6mm German Ordnance Revolver

– 11mm French Ordnance Revolver M1873 (Army)

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-closes-antique-firearms-loopholes-to-protect-public[/URL]

Edited by enfieldspares

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

what do you think comes next? that’s right the calibers we DO use so much for shooting being safe under doris 

Reading your link all I can see is these guns will need to be held under a FAC, they are not banning them as your post implies.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/933597/Govt_Response_09-11-2020.pdf

Yes. Those that say it isn't a ban are missing this. The reality is that It is a de facto ban. Be in no doubt of that.

The requirement for weapons held on an FAC will mean secure storage, two referees, the FAC fee as applicable and, of course, input from the applicant's GP or Doctor. The fee is presently £88 for the grant of an FAC where currently an applicant has no FAC.

These things have gone from no control to full control under the Firearms Act as it currently and now applies to "small firearms" or in other words handguns. And those that buy and sell such things as part of a business will require s5.

The detail from the document as linked to above makes this clear.

"This will mean that from the date the new regulations take effect, all firearms chambered for use with the above cartridges will become subject to firearms licensing. Section 126 of the Policing and Crime Act 2017 will be brought fully into effect and will allow existing owners to retain such weapons on a firearm certificate without having to show good reason and, in the case of prohibited weapons, without the need for the Secretary of State’s authority under section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 (but not in the case of dealers who wish to possess the weapons for the purpose of their business).

Edited by enfieldspares

On 10/11/2020 at 11:25, old'un said:

Reading your link all I can see is these guns will need to be held under a FAC, they are not banning them as your post implies.

correct

On 10/11/2020 at 16:48, Smokersmith said:

The whole 'obsolete calibre' thing is WIDE open to abuse.

Any Tom **** or Harry can pick these up and with a bit of shopping around be able to knock off the local post office etc.

The legislation makes perfect sense to me.

yes correct, collectors can still own them but they need to be on their licence and therefore secure them. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

Same old same old. Bring out legislation which has no effect on any but the law abiding. 👍

Yes this is exactly the point it has no effect on a legal owner.

It does have an effect on criminals using them going forwards...

I can't believe one or two of the replies here - Same old story, it won't effect me and I can't see why anyone would want an antique gun so go ahead and ban them with my blessing.

Giving present owners the chance to list them on FAC will not be like just applying for a variation - there will be all sorts of strings attached, just as in the Brocock airgun debacle. These were put on FAC to save the government paying out any compensation with so many strings attached they became worthless with tens of thousands of owners were totally unaware they had become criminals overnight.

The whole "antique arms" thing is a manufactured panic with a couple of tame journalist being fed horror stories to further someones empire building agenda.

Since 2007 six people have been killed with "antique guns", mostly criminals by criminals. In the absence of "antique guns" they would just as easily have acquired modern illegal guns - In the 13 years the report covers, 6 people were killed by antique guns - during that time around  40 people were killed by lightening in the UK and 10,000 were murdered. Lets get things in proportion a bit.