Recommend me a drill bit please.

harrycatcat1

I have a job at my daughter's to replace a top rail on a fence 22mm x 150mm (1" x 6") the rest of the fence is ok.

The problem is getting the screws out, they are very tight and rounding off. My plan is to drill them out. There are about 8 screws per length and 5 length so 40 ish screws.

What drill bit would you recommend?

I normally get stuff from screwfix as it's just down the road from me.

Thanks

Hello, me again 😊 Is the existing top rail rotten ? I'm guessing yes,,,, so rip it off carefully, use a drill with a chuck and reverse action, clamp screws into chuck,,,, unscrew 🙂 Or,,,, rip off top rail, cut or snap screws and fix new rail with screws in a slightly different position ?

16 minutes ago, old'un said:

I doubt you will drill the screws out, the drill will try to find the path of least resistance...wood.

The only way I could see this being possible is if the drill was very small and you could drill down the centre of the screw, best of luck with that one.

I will rephrase, I need a drill to take the phillips/possidrive screw head off then hopefully the wood will pull off. I don't want to drill the whole screw out.

The Aldi steel drill bits are cack.

13 minutes ago, JKD said:

Hello, me again 😊 Is the existing top rail rotten ? I'm guessing yes,,,, so rip it off carefully, use a drill with a chuck and reverse action, clamp screws into chuck,,,, unscrew 🙂 Or,,,, rip off top rail, cut or snap screws and fix new rail with screws in a slightly different position ?

Yes that's what I intended to do until I found that one of the brick "piers" was not as solid as it should be so need to be careful. It's not dangerous but any forcing would make it worse.

Edited by harrycatcat1

Oh dear,,,, didn't realise the rails were attached to brick piers 😕 Basically you're going to have to very carefully remove the timber rails by either splitting them with hammer and chisel, or somehow drill out next to each screw,,,, then use a chucked drill as I described earlier or a pair of grips on the screws.

Look for a cobalt drill, if you know roughly what the diameter of the screw shank is then use that size to drill through the head down into it, pop the head off and move to the next one. You will want a few cobalt drills as it will handle heat build up better on the steel screws.

I do this quite often with rivets/screws/bolts in work right down to 1/16" diameter stuff.

19 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I looked at the reviews on this and one person said it took an hour to get one out. Are these "easy out's"? If they are they might not work as the screws are so tight.

That's a hell of a lot of work for 40 rusty screws 😳 I think the best way forward is to do as I suggested earlier in my first reply. Take things easy, as I'm sure you will, those tall brick piers can become very loose very quickly 😯

The difficulty is removing the screws if you intend to re-use the plugs/fixing points. If you opt to drill and fix in new positions,,,, grind through the timber and screws in one hit 👍

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

Here's something similar I had to deal with earlier in the year.... The wind got hold of this section 😑

IMG_20201110_165149.jpg

IMG_20201110_165319.jpg

Yes they are similar brick "piers", I will get some pictures of them the next time I go. I will also take the angle grinder.

Glad it's not only me that gets these type of jobs 👍👍

33 minutes ago, B725 said:

Would you be able to cut through the screws by using a recip saw with a metal blade.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the offending items 👍

20 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I'd either take the wood away and then clamp and unscrew the exposed screws or grind them flat with an angle grinder and fix new holes. 

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the offending items 👍

Another day in the life of electrical failures.  I went with the hand angle grinder to try and take the tops off the screws. As soon as I started it up it blew the fuse in the house and set the newly installed burglar alarm "blipping". Reset everything and threw the towel in till the fella brings the drill bit. I will try that tomorrow as they reckon it's going to be a nice day.

So it looks like the angle grinder is off to the same bin as the big one.

20201111_133604.jpg

20201111_133611.jpg

20201111_133618.jpg

20201111_133636.jpg

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

Would a Dremel with a small grinding bit not just grind off the heads - then you could jemmy the wood off and remove the screw shanks with Mole Grips.

I was trying to get through using the tools that I have to hand but they seem to be packing in on me at the moment. I think I will try and drill the heads off tomorrow 👍👍