Recommend me a drill bit please.

harrycatcat1

36 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I was trying to get through using the tools that I have to hand but they seem to be packing in on me at the moment. I think I will try and drill the heads off tomorrow 👍👍

Now on seeing the pictures we can see what's going on.

It's not the top rail as you described, but more commonly called the fence capping,,,, although in this instance it looks like a bit of timber gravel-board was used.

Easy fix,,,, crow bar to rip off the rotten stuff, and maybe saw through to make it easier and not disturb the brickwork,,,, hit rusty screws with the flat side of a claw hammer [or use same crow/wrecking bar] to snap them off, or whatever method to get rid of old screws.... Fix new timber,,,, shiiimples 😁

Edit to add,,,, drilling out the screws is a total waste of time, effort and expense and will frustrate you to the extreme ! 🤔🙄😂

Edited by JKD

Hello, I would go with Wyn's idea if you have some hole saw blades, chisel out the excess wood and use some straight mole grips in the recess, looks like the fence needs replacing ? Then cut out the middle leaving the brick timber exposed then as above, am still doing jobs for my sons in their 40s 🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper