Jump to content

Need a new semi auto


Recommended Posts

On 11/11/2020 at 09:25, B391 said:

Do you use the A400 for game or clays, or both?

Interested to know what it is like for sporting clays

Thanks 

Hi I use it for clays, crows and pigeons

I don’t do any duck or goose shooting but it is 3 inch chamber and steel shot proof. I bought it new and payed extra for the gun pod2 fitted in stock it’s got a shot counter in it. It says well over 6000 shots and it’s just over 2 years old 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or one of these bad boys. I sold my previous Affinity a few months back as I was going to buy a John M Browning special edition maxus. My RFD, who promised to give me a bell when they were in stock didn’t bother and sold his pre orders, so I didn’t get one.

I hope Santa gets my letter in time.

4ED8E226-AECA-4501-A687-2F2FE4CAAA35.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Taileron said:

Or one of these bad boys. I sold my previous Affinity a few months back as I was going to buy a John M Browning special edition maxus. My RFD, who promised to give me a bell when they were in stock didn’t bother and sold his pre orders, so I didn’t get one.

I hope Santa gets my letter in time.

4ED8E226-AECA-4501-A687-2F2FE4CAAA35.png

thats a lovely looking gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

thats a lovely looking gun.

To be honest I actually have a Franchi Affinity all in black and I really enjoy shooting it.

I just felt like getting a gun with wood, i'd keep the Affinity.

This thread is making me really think hard on why I want another gun!!  I have regularly hit 23 or 24 on skeet using the Affinity.  But there are so many guns out there to try...........................🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, B391 said:

To be honest I actually have a Franchi Affinity all in black and I really enjoy shooting it.

I just felt like getting a gun with wood, i'd keep the Affinity.

This thread is making me really think hard on why I want another gun!!  I have regularly hit 23 or 24 on skeet using the Affinity.  But there are so many guns out there to try...........................🙄

Me to

In USA it seems that you can buy the wood stock and forend for the Affinity but on in Uk

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Me to

In USA it seems that you can buy the wood stock and forend for the Affinity but on in Uk

Spot on. The UK importers, GMK, stock virtually zero extras and have limited options for franchi in general. The seem to have an extensive Benelli and Beretta range........I wonder why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the above, shame I can't buy new wood for the Affinity.

Over in the thread called "Cheap first semi auto advice" the comments echoed some of my previous thoughts.

Instead of spending a fair bit on a new gun could I find an older good condition gun with some nice wood on it.

Think I need to explore this a tad further.

My only concern is the LOP as I am tall with very long arms and older semi's seem to have short stocks and higher combs without any adjustment apart from adding a butt spacer 

Edited by B391
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an SX3 which I shoot clays with sometimes and can’t fault it. I am sure the SX4 is just as good, too. 
 

I have always thought the Benelli Super Sport looks the business.
 

Last year, I had the chance to use my SX3 back to back with a Browning Maxus Ultimate and a Benelli Super Sport. 
 

Having shot the three of them back to back, and wanting to really love the Benelli, I came away thinking if I had to pick one for clays, it would be the Browning. Not that the Benelli was bad by any means, I suppose the Maxus just felt ‘familiar’ with it being gas operated and very similar internally to the SX3.
 

The Benelli ‘feel’ though was really good; the long, shaped hand guard and the stepped rib.. I guess with it being inertia driven I just wasn’t used to how it shot. I would however, love a bit more time behind one... 

 

Go and try the ones you like and if possible, shoot them back to back like I did and you’ll end up with the best one for you!

 

Dave 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

Browning a5, great bit if kit

If your talking about the new A5 then I have to disagree my new A5 was a terrible gun and I’m a browning fan would not cycle light loads etc the gun just would not cycle other medium loads as well And the rats tail in the receiver was jammed sometimes when I was cleaning it Sold it bought a beretta Xcel fantastic gun 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

So....

After all of the above in late November I tripped over a gun that I just had to buy. It was in a local tackle shop which also sold air rifles and a few 2nd hand guns. I understand the commission sale was due to the owner not being able to shoot any more.

Anyway - the gun ia a 12g Remington 11-87 Premier Skeet with lovely wood and in near brand new condition even though it is 30 odd years old.  Could resist.

I managed to shoot it twice before lockdown and it didn't disappoint. 

As it is quite old I am assuming the recoil spring and gas seal etc are possibly 'tired' so ordered new parts and I will do a complete strip and rebuild in time for when we can get out and shoot again.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B391 said:

So....

After all of the above in late November I tripped over a gun that I just had to buy. It was in a local tackle shop which also sold air rifles and a few 2nd hand guns. I understand the commission sale was due to the owner not being able to shoot any more.

Anyway - the gun ia a 12g Remington 11-87 Premier Skeet with lovely wood and in near brand new condition even though it is 30 odd years old.  Could resist.

I managed to shoot it twice before lockdown and it didn't disappoint. 

As it is quite old I am assuming the recoil spring and gas seal etc are possibly 'tired' so ordered new parts and I will do a complete strip and rebuild in time for when we can get out and shoot again.

 

 

 

Have owned two, and they really are good guns.
I totally agree with LB, and seriously doubt it will be tired. By all means buy the parts if you want, but I wouldn’t fit them unless they’re needed. 
I regularly use a Winchester 1500 XTR which will be older than your 11-87, and it functions flawlessly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B391 said:

So....

After all of the above in late November I tripped over a gun that I just had to buy. It was in a local tackle shop which also sold air rifles and a few 2nd hand guns. I understand the commission sale was due to the owner not being able to shoot any more.

Anyway - the gun ia a 12g Remington 11-87 Premier Skeet with lovely wood and in near brand new condition even though it is 30 odd years old.  Could resist.

I managed to shoot it twice before lockdown and it didn't disappoint. 

As it is quite old I am assuming the recoil spring and gas seal etc are possibly 'tired' so ordered new parts and I will do a complete strip and rebuild in time for when we can get out and shoot again.

 

 

 


The Americans love the 11-87’s, don’t hear as much about them over here but they are very good guns. 
 

I have an 11-87 Premier but bought a Maxus for the 3 1/2” chamber and HP steel proof. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a benelli monty and great gun I have the Browning maxus for the 3.5" chamber and the sx3 8 shot semi I agree with a few on here. For clay bashing The benelli would be the choice as inertia and not gas operated So much cleaner. Mine are for wildfowl and vermin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winchester Dave,

The Benelli SuperSport is the best auto I've shot, I've shot quite a few over the years.

I own a Browning Maxus one black synthetic 31/2" , it's completely different to the Benelli SuperSport, the Benelli feels and handles more like a nice balanced over and under, the shot cycle is fast just a very fast clunk and done. The Browning being a gas system is fatter in the hands, different feel and balance and it's shot cycle though not slow feels wheezy compared, I think it's because the gun actually moves more when the bolt travels to and fro. The Benelli being a heavier gun you don't feel the bolt move it as much.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...