rebuilding shower room

nobbyathome

Iat last i have finished rebuilding my shower room  i have been working 6 days a week all through the pandemic so only have sunday to do anything needless to say shooting has gone for a pot for a couple of months 

my wife phoned me and said the power shower is not working and she was going to take the dog out 

what she didnt realise is that the body of the shower that was buried in a stud wall had split when the pressure was released it turned on the pump shoving 35 ltrs of water per min inside  the stud wall  needless to say when she got back home 90 mins later the ceiling had come down the dining room and kitchen was swimming wit about 3000 ltrs of water

i of course had to come home from work and stop it 

isstead of claiming on the insurance i decided to rip the lot out and do another one i know its more costly but the old one was looking a bit dated  i will post the pictures on how it went bit by bit 

i love a bit of diy and  am a bit of a bodger but i do get by  no doubt the shower experts will tell me what i have done wrong but here we go

24EC23DA-20B3-409F-9583-53B1B78C3ECC.jpeg

this is the offending part that split flooding everything

first of all i had to cut out a piece of the stud wall to see where the leak come from so into the spare bedroom and out with the stanley knife

20 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

at last i have finished rebuilding my shower room  i have been working 6 days a week all through the pandemic so only have sunday to do anything needless to say shooting has gone for a pot for a couple of months 

my wife phoned me and said the power shower is not working and she was going to take the dog out 

what she didnt realise is that the body of the shower that was buried in a stud wall had split when the pressure was released it turned on the pump shoving 35 ltrs of water inside  the stud wall  needless to say when she got back home 90 mins later the ceiling had come down the dining room and kitchen was swimming wit about 3000 ltrs of water

i of course had to come home from work and stop it 

isstead of claiming on the insurance i decided to rip the lot out and do another one i know its more costly but the old one was looking a bit dated  i will post the pictures on how it went bit by bit 

i love a bit of diy and  am a bit of a bodger but i do get by  no doubt the shower experts will tell me what i have done wrong but here we go

24EC23DA-20B3-409F-9583-53B1B78C3ECC.jpeg

6B071BD2-770E-4AFD-BECA-2A2E1781F6C8.jpeg

Edited by nobbyathome
More info

I feel for you fella, I really do 😕 In my line of work I see this a lot,,,, sometimes the entire house is flooded with water running down the stairs, through all light fittings and out of the external doors ! It's devastating, but insurance usually covers it,,,, that's where "we" come in 🙂

Looking forward to the ongoing refit 👍

2 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

to late !!!

after i put the boards up i used waterproof tape over all the seams and fixings i couldnt believe how much a roll of tape costs but it stuck like nothing else i have used before

I will wait for the pictures before I reply again 😂

Good man,,,, and doing a good job with the correct materials 👍

the next task was to paint it all over with a waterproof resin/paint stuff like you use in a wet room i had never heard of this stuff but it went on thick and looked the part

21DE7EF0-7E94-4A97-8175-C4B1CB729E6C.jpeg

the next bit was making a base to put the tray on leaving me enough room to sort the pipe work out

105F5A2D-91AB-49A8-AFD9-80968512AEAF.jpeg

then i put ply down on top

87824490-2CFF-4F2D-91FC-048F6832F52F.jpeg

after the ply i put a layer of sand and cement on top of it to sit the shower tray on so it will never move when we are in it and down the tray went

i then had to plaster the outside of the shower  to tile over i am awful at plastering but as i knew i was going to tile over it i had a go anyway 

F3146DD5-715E-4A8A-B883-077CE08C2D21.jpeg

AAA66D8F-ACE7-4AEF-B685-0FB9434F5A31.jpeg

then comes the fun part tiling again not ny forte but i think i did it ok 

19003E13-6B76-40CD-A287-8CCCB9122B8A.jpeg

299213F4-FB7A-4DCD-AA95-F77CB1617375.jpeg

finally the last side and the ceiling

BF72FB24-DE54-4154-9250-D0070012E2DB.jpeg

470F979A-3AC6-48C8-8126-3404FBA22FF3.jpeg

then to the outside of the shower using the same white tiles that i put on the ceiling

B8766961-C983-4B76-A2A8-3A1C89C9D812.jpeg

after grouting it all i fitted the shower an aqualisa mixer this time no hidden pipes in the stud wall so if it leaks again it should be inside the shower

83D43418-8071-49B4-8F9F-841814082F47.jpeg

the next to do was to fit the light and fan it is all one piece with the light in the middle 

69AB19FA-DE4D-40DA-A678-A230C8D17E35.jpeg

next was the floorboards i put ply down over the top of then so i can tile over

84A65CE9-EADC-42AE-81FA-CE7B154BF2FD.jpeg

i am well please with the results just hope i have done it right and get no leaks only time will tell i kept all the reciepts for materials  and the total come to £2400 so i am well pleased  with that 

it has taken me 12 days to do it and now i can have a shower and stop smelling like my lab and can hopefully get back to bagging some pigeons and clays 

i hope you like reading this post

have a good evening and all of you stay safe 

rob