Winchester AA reloading 28 bore

Hi

I’m currently reloading my Eley and Hull used hulls in 28 guage using fibre wad 21grm shot which work very well. Would like to try some Winchester AA hulls and wondered if there is anything I should be aware of??

Only asking as there seems to be various opinions on wether this is a good idea?.

Anyone on here reloading Winchester AA that can advise

Cheers

Maybe I need to elaborate more, I am using Folkestone Engineerings load data as a guide which is this

70mm Fiocchi Case
Fiocchi 615 primer 
1.20gm PSB+2SP 
4mm over powder card. 
14mm Fibre wad 
21gm #6.5 (2.5mm) or #7 lead shot 
6 Point Star Closure 
O/L=60.9mm

I’m currently using this

70mm Hull Case—used
Fiocchi 615 primer 
1.20gm PSB+2SP 
2mm over powder card. 
12mm Fibre wad
6mm cork wads
21gm #7.5 lead shot 
6 Point Star Closure 
O/L=60.9mm

So I’m happy with the load I am currently using but my question is, is it safe to use Winchester AA used cases Instead of the Hull cases I  am using?

I have read that the internals of the AA cases are different but has anyone had any experience of this and is there anything I need to be aware of before I proceed?

Cheers

Hi the Winchester cases will be compression formed and do develop higher pressures. When using plastic wads a taper wad would be used. You may find a felt wad may be tight when seating on the powder. The case will be narrower at the base. As cookoff013 suggests l would look for loading data for Winchester cases or ask Folkestone engineering for advice. I think the Winchester primer is a bit smaller not sure. I’ve loaded Winchester cases in 12gauge and 10gauge but not in 28gauge. 

Use the data on the website of the powder your using.  You should never just swap components in a recipe.

If maxam don't have a recipe for the Winchester cases look at American sites for recipes and buy the powder and components in the recipe you choose.

Here's a link to all Alliant powders Winchester case recipes. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.75&weightdis=3%2f4&shellid=530&gtypeid=3&gauge=28

Edited by figgy

Just an update in case it’s useful for future readers. Have spoken to John at Folkestone Engineering and he recommends reducing the powder by 10% and working up from there checking for high pressure. 
He was confident that the 21grm fibre loads on the website would be fine in the new style Winchester cases But better safe than sorry.

I will post my findings once I can get back to pulling the trigger 😄

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get out and shoot a few clays today and have to report that the load used was spot on no signs of pressure.

I went with the load in my previous post and it smoked the clays with 1/2 & 1/2 choke.

Just need to source a few more once fired hulls........

Edited by keithkilvo1