Lincs Firearms dept

triumphant59

A few weeks ago I think most certificate holders in Lincolnshire received a letter from the Firearms dept stressing how important it is to keep your guns secure and ensure it is not possible for a thief to get a crowbar behind your cabinet to prise it off the wall. A friend of mine had a phone call from Lincs Police yesterday asking him if he had received said letter and what measures he had taken as a result to make his cabinets more secure! He explained how secure his weapons where and that he had cctv cameras fitted at his property. The officer was suitably impressed  but then went on to state that he had too many guns and he needs to sell some! Suggesting the maximum allowable is 12.   To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of shotguns that can be held. Is this another case of Lincolnshire Police making up their own laws?

No such regulation I know of. Number of guns my cabinets will hold has been asked but never a query on the number of guns. I would politely ask under what legislation or regulation this is being suggested. I believe you can be expected to have greater security if you have a lot of guns but haven’t seen it written and have not bothered looking

22 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

avon and somerset, will let  you hold  5 guns, if you have an alarm you can have more,i hold 5 guns, and i dont want to rock the boat.i was told that by my old feo, years ago.

If you have more than 1 certificate holder in your house are you allowed more or is it 5 per household?  

9 hours ago, triumphant59 said:

A few weeks ago I think most certificate holders in Lincolnshire received a letter from the Firearms dept stressing how important it is to keep your guns secure and ensure it is not possible for a thief to get a crowbar behind your cabinet to prise it off the wall. A friend of mine had a phone call from Lincs Police yesterday asking him if he had received said letter and what measures he had taken as a result to make his cabinets more secure! He explained how secure his weapons where and that he had cctv cameras fitted at his property. The officer was suitably impressed  but then went on to state that he had too many guns and he needs to sell some! Suggesting the maximum allowable is 12.   To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of shotguns that can be held. Is this another case of Lincolnshire Police making up their own laws?

I had the same letter. Pretty sure as mentioned there is no limit. 

South Yorks are sending out letters to cert holders telling them to either beef up their security or sell guns if they "have too many". Apparently it's something to do with a change in the HO guidance on storage and security, but I've not seen the specifics. They're putting shooters into categories based on security type, number of guns, postcode etc.

8 hours ago, triumphant59 said:

He’s got 14, they state he should not have more than 12

I suspect its 12 for the type of safe and alarm he has. Ho rules have changed. I think, can't remember exactly, that they want an alarm linked to the force and a few other bits over a said number. Its in the guidance if he wants to read up. 

Just a thought.  If said robber  is going to force the safe from the wall. What it he going to end up with? Perhaps a gert heavy cabinet with several guns in  it and a most awkward thing to get out of the house. Why not just bring his battery angle grinder and just nick the guns?

I wonder how many whole cabinets complete with guns are stolen.

16 hours ago, mossy835 said:

avon and somerset, will let  you hold  5 guns, if you have an alarm you can have more,i hold 5 guns, and i dont want to rock the boat.i was told that by my old feo, years ago.

Mate was told he had to have an alarm when he went over 12 he is in A and S. I had an extra cabinet and was asked to bolt the two together for extra security. I thought it a good idea. 

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just a thought.  If said robber  is going to force the safe from the wall. What it he going to end up with? Perhaps a gert heavy cabinet with several guns in  it and a most awkward thing to get out of the house. Why not just bring his battery angle grinder and just nick the guns?

I wonder how many whole cabinets complete with guns are stolen.

Battery angle grinder is the way to go I reckon.  

8 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

South Yorks are sending out letters to cert holders telling them to either beef up their security or sell guns if they "have too many". Apparently it's something to do with a change in the HO guidance on storage and security, but I've not seen the specifics. They're putting shooters into categories based on security type, number of guns, postcode etc.

Easy to say sell guns however at the moment how ?? With travel restrictions and non essential journey restrictions 

coupled with the uncertainty of the lead shot phase out who’s going to want to buy a short chambered gun 

19 hours ago, mossy835 said:

A&S have said nothing to me about alarms for more than 6 guns and I own more than 12 including section 5 pistols

19 hours ago, Gu5 said:

If you have more than 1 certificate holder in your house are you allowed more or is it 5 per household?  

AVS - I think its 5 per home , any more, they ask you to have an alarm on the house. I dont think its that bad a request, okay house alarms aren't always that great as people ignore them due to going off randomly. 

16 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Wasn't it not law but guidance that said plus nine guns requires extra security? 

It's all guidance. The HO make up the "rules", the Police decide which to follow, with a push from organisations like ACPO, NPCC etc. The actual law is pretty forgiving and gives us much more freedom than we currently receive.