Wales cancels Exams for 2021

discobob

So, with one kid taking GCSE's in this school year, and the other taking A Level's this year they are now going to be assessed to get their result. I really do worry about the future that they have, and I suppose it is the same for many other parents out there. 

My kids don't have any leaning towards the military as I believe that would be a valid choice for them as long as it was with a trade. From my family there was me, my half-brother and 3 cousins who joined up after school. From my wife's side nobody has served and my wife isn't keen on (ne dead set against) suggesting it 😞  

44 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t know why we use the term United Kingdom anymore. So many difference between England, Scotland, Wales and NI. 

We live on the border - we are English (for our youngest we were given the option of Wrexham or Chester - we chose Chester) and 90% of our respective families are in England but my Mother-in-law is originally Welsh and had my wife's ear when we were looking for properties

Worst thing we ever done was move into Wales 16 years ago - I wanted to be over towards the M6 when we moved up from Oxfordshire. Now it is really biting us on the anus horribulus with regards to our children.

I dont think getting rid of the tests is a bad thing at all. Surely having your ability monitored by your teachers over the year is a better reflection of your ability than a 2 hour test. Anyway once they are in Uni or started their first job they will never be asked again their exam grade results so sure they will be fine. 

Edited by ferguson_tom

14 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

I dont think getting rid of the tests is a bad thing at all. Surely having your ability monitored by your teachers over the year is a better reflection of your ability than a 2 hour test. Anyway once they are in Uni or started their first job they will never be asked again their exam grade results so sure they will be fine. 

The problem with that is consistency of marking. Some teachers will be generous, others more harsh. We all saw the over inflation of results this year with teacher assessed grades. 

6 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Because of remarks like this no wonder we are not united and who's to say doris won't follow suite yet  like with the lockdown

...he probably will. Already gone backwards and forwards on promises made. I do not trust any of them.

59 minutes ago, AVB said:

The problem with that is consistency of marking. Some teachers will be generous, others more harsh. We all saw the over inflation of results this year with teacher assessed grades. 

The only true test is to sit down and take an exam and answer questions. No disrespect to teachers I have friends in the job and it is sometimes impossible for them to actually teach, with abusive behaviour by over 50% of a class making it impossible to teach the few who want to learn.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

With the amount of schooling the kids have lost thanks to bone idle teachers there are an awful lot of thick kids in the pipeline 😀😀😀

Literally nonsense. 

A well respected local French teacher died this week of CV-19 after continuing to teach. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tributes-paid-honest-humble-french-19258273

My wife is an University of Oxford graduate who chooses to teach in a Comprehensive in the state sector. Her school hasn’t been shut a single day. 

I don’t think we need to worry too much about idiocy in the next generation... 

Edited by WalkedUp

42 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Literally nonsense. 

A well respected local French teacher died this week of CV-19 after continuing to teach. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tributes-paid-honest-humble-french-19258273

My wife is an University of Oxford graduate who chooses to teach in a Comprehensive in the state sector. Her school hasn’t been shut a single day. 

I don’t think we need to worry too much about idiocy in the next generation... 

That’s great - at my kids school they we’re lucky to get an email once a week through till July. The youngests year had to isolate for 2 weeks this year but they did have teams lessons for about three hours a day. 
My home-Office actually looks straight onto the school and I see that they are having a lot more external activities so less teaching 

I keep hearing how this school is one of the best in Wales however from what I now know of Welsh education standards that isn’t a high standard to be “one of the best”

“My kids were lucky with an email once a week”

“Bone idle teachers”

”appease teachers”

Those belong to parents who don’t care or have rose tinted glasses....  

Thank god someone can see some good in us.  Thanks Morrison’s, for the 10% discount on my shopping..... to think I earn £65k a year...... and still get that. 

9 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Every course you go on these days you must have GCSE maths and English. 

It’s becoming asked for more and more (as it should). There’s an amazing amount of people out there who don’t have basic maths and English ability. 

We’re one of the greatest nations in the world and we’ve got (lots of£ people who can’t do basic maths and English. 

The attitude of “no one will ever ask you your results anyway” is just laziness. 

10 hours ago, markm said:

“My kids were lucky with an email once a week”

“Bone idle teachers”

”appease teachers”

Those belong to parents who don’t care or have rose tinted glasses....  

Thank god someone can see some good in us.  Thanks Morrison’s, for the 10% discount on my shopping..... to think I earn £65k a year...... and still get that. 

Excuse me - I was not having a pop at Teachers - I was having a pop at the School & Education Department and indeed the Welsh Assembly - they created the low level and that was what was delivered on. We have friends who live not far away but in England - their daughter had lessons every day during the first lockdown and I applaud that. My niece is also a teacher