Work from Home tax

AVB

1 hour ago, Scully said:

👍 I think this year will see quite an increase in people claiming for ‘office space’ and all things pertaining to running that office. I’ve been doing it for years. 

I’m starting to suspect there are some on here in need of therapy; a lot of their posts end up being about Brexit......they just can’t seem to let it go. 😀

Your right but sometimes it's good to remind people what they voted for. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Not sure what that has to do with the price of fish? To put it into context this Govt has spent more than all Labour govt's added together since 1945 ( even allowing for inflation) and has the highest debt to gdp ratio since 1960. The debt pile is over 100% of National income.

Thats strange, the various oppositions to the tories have been banging on about austerity for the last 10 years !

17 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Thats strange, the various oppositions to the tories have been banging on about austerity for the last 10 years !

Nothing wrong with spending but spending with no benefit ??? 

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Dont think anyone needs reminding how they voted and what it was for. But thanks for the reminder anyway :lol:

👍 You can tell it's a wet day out in the fields. I don't have anything else to do. :lol: Out on the crows first light this morning and it was unspeakable filth everywhere.

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Nothing wrong with spending but spending with no benefit ??? 

👍 You can tell it's a wet day out in the fields. I don't have anything else to do. :lol: Out on the crows first light this morning and it was unspeakable filth everywhere.

Lots of crows then if unspeakable filth haha ive been getting my hoise ready to demolish and rebuild tge back and garage but windy up the ladder

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Seems rather strange given Covid requirements stating those who could work from home should do so. 🤔

In truth mine is a studio rather than an office, and when I’m not working in other peoples houses I’m in there. It’s purpose built and fully equipped for my needs so I have no problems claiming for it. 

How much can you claim? 

We are essentially running 2 office spaces in our home at the moment. Half my garage as an office for me and the corner of the living room as an office for my partner. 

You can’t even claim £6 a week, it’s 20% (the tax) in the £6 ... so you get £1.20 a week. £62.40 a year. 

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How much can you claim? 

We are essentially running 2 office spaces in our home at the moment. Half my garage as an office for me and the corner of the living room as an office for my partner. 

You can’t even claim £6 a week, it’s 20% (the tax) in the £6 ... so you get £1.20 a week. £62.40 a year. 

Are you self employed? If so your accountant can sort it all out for you. 
I wouldn’t know how to calculate it otherwise, and never really got to grips with it through self assessment. It’s so much easier done through an accountant. 

7 hours ago, AVB said:

What’s peoples’ view on this? Proposal for employers to pay an extra tax for employees who work from home to support those who can’t work from home. Mental in my opinion. Just seems illogical. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54876526

Unlikely to fly here, certainly not consistent with stated net zero goals of UK government. There again that might represent too much joined up thinking for this government...

Oooh! A tax. I love taxes, they fix everything. This sounds like another jolly good one, iffin' your a bit strapped for cash having just spaffed several billions on companies your mates set up.

So, broadly, **** off with your new tax.

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

Are you self employed? If so your accountant can sort it all out for you. 
I wouldn’t know how to calculate it otherwise, and never really got to grips with it through self assessment. It’s so much easier done through an accountant. 

And that's why this country employs more accountants that pretty much the rest of Europe combined. Archaic, convoluted, complex, obfuscating so as you have no choice than to employ an accountant. Even better if you earn a tad bit more, then you can employ a really good one that allows you to slip through the wormholes all the complexity creates.

Edited by mick miller

7 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Who's saving it though? It might not be getting spent on sarnies, buses and the odd cheeky lunchtime pint, but it is getting spent on DIY, home improvements, new houses, fireworks (according to the 3 week festival we've had around here), gardening, maccies, clothing, Amazon-tat etc. Even shooting when we're allowed

Very true, I fit kichens and bathrooms most of the time, I've rarely had so much work in front, mid February atm. Despite having 2 months off one designer was telling me he's having his best year this year. Saving a lot of time doing virtual work.

Lots of people had a stint at home and realise they arent going on a normal holiday this year and probably next so doing stuff on the house.

Edited by manthing