Licence under review

Darjohall

2 hours ago, Darjohall said:

No I have never been charged. I think the concern of the police is because this has happened three times this year but the fact is I was released as charged refused each time. During interview I did tell them about my partners mental state at the time yet they never seem to make adequate enquiries to ascertain what her state of mind is at the time from her mental health team. 
my doctor has never voiced any concern about me holding guns and I would be happy to get a medical report should it be needed. 

if you would like to pm me the grounds police claim makes you unfit to hold tickets i’m more than happy to give my advice police frequently claim mental illness in others is enough grounds until they have to prove it so don’t panic yet 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, clangerman said:

this chap is in for a long hard fight the last thing he needs is advice from those who have NOT been in his shoes 

1. I have been in his shoes.

2. His fight is over, the case is clear cut for removal of firearms.

3. your offer of help is admirable, but from what hes said, trying to fight over this is a waste of time, and possibly money.

Ask yourself this, would you feel comfortable with him and his partner living next door to you, knowing whats happened, and knowing there are firearms in the house ?
Im sure the man is 'probably' no danger, but the partner ?
Would YOU take the risk ?

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if you would like to pm me the grounds police claim makes you unfit to hold tickets i’m more than happy to give my advice police frequently claim mental illness in others is enough grounds until they have to prove it so don’t panic yet 

They haven’t revoked his tickets because of mental health issues, they have revoked them because of his NOT DECLARING the issues, and the domestic situation in which he finds himself, which in itself is reason ( within the guidance ) enough to revoke. 

Just now, Rewulf said:

1. I have been in his shoes.

2. His fight is over, the case is clear cut for removal of firearms.

3. your offer of help is admirable, but from what hes said, trying to fight over this is a waste of time, and possibly money.

Ask yourself this, would you feel comfortable with him and his partner living next door to you, knowing whats happened, and knowing there are firearms in the house ?
Im sure the man is 'probably' no danger, but the partner ?
Would YOU take the risk ?

no offence intended to anyone it’s just a hard long fight have job to find anyone more unstable than my rubbish yet my firearms remained all though my divorce and she was more than mentally ill so i have been there and won 

13 minutes ago, clangerman said:

no offence intended to anyone it’s just a hard long fight have job to find anyone more unstable than my rubbish yet my firearms remained all though my divorce and she was more than mentally ill so i have been there and won 

You did well , against the odds I would say :good:

Ive seen guns removed for the slightest provocation, and others who committed such crimes that you would think totally incompatible with having SGC or FAC, keep them.
I think a lot depends on who sits in the big seat, and the FEOs who bring them the info/report.
But in the OPs case , I dont reckon even the best of wills could avoid whats happened.

On 14/12/2020 at 12:16, Lloyd90 said:

What a very stupid thing to suggest. 

Are you going to make false allegations against a Police officer for giving you a speeding ticket? Or if one of them has a chat to you? 

Your lack of integrity and honesty makes your fitness to hold a SGC questionable if you honestly think such stupid things as that! 

You should have left her after the first incidence. 

I get it that people can be unwell etc. but that kind of allegation could ruin your entire life, job/career, all sorts of back ground checks, issues with your kids let alone gun licences. 

If someone had bipolar they can’t help it but if they start making allegations like that then they’d have to work through it alone! 

No I wasn’t seriously suggesting it, just posing it as a  thought of how would they like it.

its nothing like getting a speeding ticket. It’s like a neighbour who doesn’t like you, telling the police they saw you speeding, and so without investigation or anything the police come and remove your car/driving licence...

3 hours ago, southeastpete said:

No I wasn’t seriously suggesting it, just posing it as a  thought of how would they like it.

its nothing like getting a speeding ticket. It’s like a neighbour who doesn’t like you, telling the police they saw you speeding, and so without investigation or anything the police come and remove your car/driving licence...

Not really like that is it. 

Multiple Police call outs, undeclared mental health condition of the certificate holder. Multiple allegations of domestic abuse. 

What is it, the third time the Police have been called out? They gave him the benefit of the doubt the first times. 

Considering the facts that have come out does it sound like a stable arrangement and house hold on which you would be happy for firearms and shotguns to be kept? 

I think the Police have made the right call. 

The guns is the least of the OP’s worries. His domestic situation and kids would be the priority for me. Hopefully he can get things sorted and I wish him the best. 

I can’t see any positive outcome apart from sadly cutting ties with his partner, getting himself setup in a stable domestic situation hopefully with his kids all sorted and then getting his guns back some point a lot further down the line. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not really like that is it. 

Multiple Police call outs, undeclared mental health condition of the certificate holder. Multiple allegations of domestic abuse. 

What is it, the third time the Police have been called out? They gave him the benefit of the doubt the first times. 

Considering the facts that have come out does it sound like a stable arrangement and house hold on which you would be happy for firearms and shotguns to be kept? 

I think the Police have made the right call. 

The guns is the least of the OP’s worries. His domestic situation and kids would be the priority for me. Hopefully he can get things sorted and I wish him the best. 

I can’t see any positive outcome apart from sadly cutting ties with his partner, getting himself setup in a stable domestic situation hopefully with his kids all sorted and then getting his guns back some point a lot further down the line. 

At the time of writing that’s what I thought it was though.

On 14/12/2020 at 13:17, Rewulf said:

its usually down to your GP to notify firearms IF he feels there is a risk, but thats really besides the point.
Couple that with ongoing domestic issues, AND your mentally ill partner, and its a no brainer.

You are clinging on to the fact you have done nothing wrong, and that may be the case, but despite advice to the contrary on here, that doesnt prevent the police removing firearms from a licencee.
You could have an ongoing neighbour dispute, neither party may have been arrested or charged.
Your doctor may have concerns about your alcohol consumption.
You may have friends or family who are known or suspected criminals.
You may be on certain prescription drugs , or have a medical condition which may affect your judgement .
OR the person that you live with could have any of the above.

You see, YOU have done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.
But any one of the above will see you firearm free quick time, or at least have some difficult choices to make.

Dont take this as a dig at yourself, its just the harsh realities of firearm ownership in this country.

Good posts Rewulf. Fully agree. 

1 hour ago, Robden said:

To the OP. What's more important to you, your guns or your family?

Once you know, work on that. Sadly, I can't see you having both.....not at the moment anyway.

ATB.

Good advice 👍

Two instances of allegations domestic violence between partners which are or were in the same household- police are removing the guns to reduce the risk that either person does serious harm to the other.

Despite what people believe having firearms is not a “right”, people are granted a licence to hold them if they are deemed a fit person to hold them. 

Ultimately will the op get his firearms returned? Probably. 

Like it or not once you become a firearms holder, there is an additional consequence for actions or allegations. Shooting organisations may help you make your argument to have your firearms returned but the police have done nothing wrong or illegal based on what has been posted.

It’s an unfortunate situation and I hope you get your firearms returned as soon as possible.