Skiing

AVB

This time of year the skiers amongst us would be thinking of booking this seasons ski trip, if not booked it already. Obviously it’s all up in the air at the moment but anybody hopeful of going? If so where do you think is most likely. If Europe is out of the equation I might try Japan again or Canada if they are open at all in time. 

5 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Skied BC a lot it is fantastic, and am looking at it as venue again this time round, also some good resorts out of Boston.

Never done BC. Have skied Europe, Japan, India and the US so definitely need to get BC in soon. Any recommendation on resorts? 

What kind of holiday maker are you. me, i make little use of the swanky resorts, Whistler,Big White,Lake Louise and the restaurants entertainment etc, they are all worth a visit as they possess fantastic terrain and massive ski areas. The downside of the smaller less busy places is the transfer with 6 hours plus after your 9 hour flight spent on a bus being a killer now im older. I will probably go back to Lake Louise/Norquay/Sunshine Village for my trip  as it is just fabulous and the pass get you access to it all withTransit type transfers between areas included. My sister did Japan and felt it was too far  and just not worth it but it is on the agenda for next year as the season is later and if lockdown kill the early part of the year, for now im keeping my money at home with the frailties of holiday companies.

13 minutes ago, Rupert said:

What kind of holiday maker are you. me, i make little use of the swanky resorts, Whistler,Big White,Lake Louise and the restaurants entertainment etc, they are all worth a visit as they possess fantastic terrain and massive ski areas. The downside of the smaller less busy places is the transfer with 6 hours plus after your 9 hour flight spent on a bus being a killer now im older. I will probably go back to Lake Louise/Norquay/Sunshine Village for my trip  as it is just fabulous and the pass get you access to it all withTransit type transfers between areas included. My sister did Japan and felt it was too far  and just not worth it but it is on the agenda for next year as the season is later and if lockdown kill the early part of the year, for now im keeping my money at home with the frailties of holiday companies.

Thanks. I don’t mind a long transfer so I will have a look at these places. Not too fussed about apres ski nowadays. The only must have is ski in/out. 

Japan is fantastic for skiing. I lived there for two years so had plenty of opportunity. There are lots of resorts (500+) though. If you like lots of powder there isn’t a better place. We were getting 1m+ a day. 

23 minutes ago, Deker said:

As a VERY late starter to skiing I'd like to try over in New England (or that area of the USA), I like visiting to Maine so could do both while there.

I have skied a lot in the US. Mainly Colorado and Utah. From what I have heard the east coast skiing is less pleasurable with lots of ice. I love the Rockies. Lots of powder, relatively few crowds. I didn’t start until late in life though (40) and that was in Colorado. 

You're all far too rich for my tastes/wallet :) We stuck to Europe for cost reasons, skiing Austria, Andorra, Switzerland, Finland and Slovakia. Slovakia was by far the cheapest, though the resort wasn't quite up to the standards of other places. They're heavily investing though and the improvements are marked.

10 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

You're all far too rich for my tastes/wallet  We stuck to Europe for cost reasons, skiing Austria, Andorra, Switzerland, Finland and Slovakia. Slovakia was by far the cheapest, though the resort wasn't quite up to the standards of other places. They're heavily investing though and the improvements are marked.

Sometimes basic is better. I skied in Gulmarg, Kashmir in India (before it became a war zone again) whilst I was working out there. You couldn’t get more basic than that but wow what snow and scenery. 

11 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

You're all far too rich for my tastes/wallet  We stuck to Europe for cost reasons, skiing Austria, Andorra, Switzerland, Finland and Slovakia. Slovakia was by far the cheapest, though the resort wasn't quite up to the standards of other places. They're heavily investing though and the improvements are marked.

My wife is Slovak and we go each year leaving our kit out there. Inlaws live between Jasna and Tatransca Lomnica. We fly to Krakow and drive (car hire is nothing) over and mix down hill and cross country with tobogganing and staying in a mountain chata. Take in the Ice Hockey in Poprad and trips to the hot water springs and mountain spa's. Eat out on the denne menu at just 3 euro's for lunch its a rustic bargain.

I have booked flights for Feb at just £40 but whether it happens or not is a different matter.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

My wife is Slovak and we go each year leaving our kit out there. Inlaws live between Jasna and Tatransca Lomnica. We fly to Krakow and drive (car hire is nothing) over and mix down hill and cross country with tobogganing and staying in a mountain chata. Take in the Ice Hockey in Poprad and trips to the hot water springs and mountain spa's. Eat out on the denne menu at just 3 euro's for lunch its a rustic bargain.

I have booked flights for Feb at just £40 but whether it happens or not is a different matter.

That sounds brilliant. We did similar. Flights, chalets (off mountain) and car hire was about £140 PP for the week. Drove to Jasna (the wrong way, over the mountains) and stayed in Trnovec IIRC. Then it was a short drive to the top of the mountain or to the bus at the bottom. I thought the skiing was excellent and the hot springs/spas were great too. Prices for ski hire and lift passes were similar to the other resorts we stayed in, not expensive, but not cheap. Hard to complain when Jasna was practically brand new, the equipment was top notch and the staff and service were excellent. We had tons of snow and actually got snowed in mid-week, which was great fun; building snowmen, sledging, snowball fights, snowy walks for hot drinks and buns. We were a bit remote, most locals spoke zero English, but we made do with what we'd learned and could mime :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a week in Les Arcs for 6 March. Later than usual but thought it had a better chance of going ahead. Speaking to the company I use they said that they had fewer chalets available this year but they were expecting it to be quieter. Still considering BC but will keep that on the back burner until things become clearer. 

12 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

States or Canada fab and tonnes of off-piste but apres skiing is nothing like Europe and across the pond the lifts are long and slow

I’m not a massive fan of apres ski. Never found the lifts slow in Colorado. 

29 minutes ago, AVB said:

I’m not a massive fan of apres ski. Never found the lifts slow in Colorado. 

Stayed in a place called whiskey creek in a time share resort of log cabins which were rented out through a local estate agency and skied Mammoth - top top skiing, cabins were 5 star ++ with open fires and hot tubs, no apres scene so would probably suit you 

6 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

Stayed in a place called whiskey creek in a time share resort of log cabins which were rented out through a local estate agency and skied Mammoth - top top skiing, cabins were 5 star ++ with open fires and hot tubs, no apres scene so would probably suit you 

Went to morzine jan 19, first time for me skiing and I loved it. Really want to go again and had hoped this season as missed last year. Id happily go back to the same place just to get more experience under my belt. 

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

Went to morzine jan 19, first time for me skiing and I loved it. Really want to go again and had hoped this season as missed last year. Id happily go back to the same place just to get more experience under my belt. 

Morzine is good, I've done a bit over the years and don't have much style but don't fall over either. Val Thorens / Val d'Isère take some beating in my humble opinion especially once you got some confidence and experience and get away from the crowds

3 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

Morzine is good, I've done a bit over the years and don't have much style but don't fall over either. Val Thorens / Val d'Isère take some beating in my humble opinion especially once you got some confidence and experience and get away from the crowds

The problem with VT is that all of the skiing is above the tree line so lots of whiteouts. When the suns shining it’s great but when I’ve been 4 out of 6 days have been cloudy. 

Edited by AVB

11 minutes ago, AVB said:

The problem with VT is that all of the skiing is above the tree line so lots of whiteouts. When the suns shining it’s great but when I’ve been 4 out of 6 days have been cloudy. 

Last time i was at VT it was -29c  at the top lift .so cold my lighter gas  would not work!!!

Happy days back when my knees could take the moguls..

10 hours ago, mowdy said:

Last time i was at VT it was -29c  at the top lift .so cold my lighter gas  would not work!!!

Happy days back when my knees could take the moguls..

I assume back when you could take on those small bungalows ( moguls ) you refreshed yourself in the highest Irish bar in the world?

Both Val's are superb in Feb and must agree the snow/cold can be a problem but wow I reckon the skiing was tip-top