Silica Bags - Recommendations

Alex1Nat2

Looking for recommendations on silica bags.

Now winters hear I start to dry clothing on the central heating radiators & I'm conscious that must mean more moisture in the air.

Do people recommend multiples small bags or single big bag etc.

Other options people use.

Any help much appreciated.

Steve 

I just make sure there's an up-to-date VF90 sachet in the cabinet, and I allow anything to get up to house temperature and dry off before they go in.

The exception is the rare time I fit in an outing before I have to go out, so I wipe the gun down and get it locked away.

I buy the moisture things from Poundshop (usually 6 at a time) and place atleast two of them in my office/gunroom. The door to this room is always shut when im not inside.

You'll be very surprised at how much liquid they collect over a short space of time and as has been mentioned it gets worse in winter from drying clothes inside.This one has been in use for about 7 months.

Rust has never been an issue with any of my guns.

20201114_091459.jpg

22 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

I buy the moisture things from Poundshop (usually 6 at a time) and place atleast two of them in my office/gunroom. The door to this room is always shut when im not inside.

You'll be very surprised at how much liquid they collect over a short space of time and as has been mentioned it gets worse in winter from drying clothes inside.This one has been in use for about 7 months.

Rust has never been an issue with any of my guns.

20201114_091459.jpg

These look good. Are they reusable? Looks like a lot of plastic waste? 

For the last thirty-odd years my gun cabinets have lived in the loft. Extreme temperature variations Winter to Summer. I have never had even a hint of rust on a gun. A ten second wipe with the same old oily rag is all it takes and then quite often that gun may not come out for a year or more. No silica bags, no dehumidifier, no heaters, just an oily rag. No rust. Simple and cheap.

Just now, London Best said:

I note that they are filled with salt! Doesn’t sound very good for a gun cabinet to me?

I see that. I wipe the guns with an oily rag after use as you suggest. They are out most days and many nights and it's hard to keep on top of maintenance. To some extent I accept that they are working tools and will degrade. What annoys me most is hope poor the surface coatings are including the paint on the barrel of my Mauser that wants to rust just at the sight of rain, particularly under the fore end. 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

For the last thirty-odd years my gun cabinets have lived in the loft. Extreme temperature variations Winter to Summer. I have never had even a hint of rust on a gun. A ten second wipe with the same old oily rag is all it takes and then quite often that gun may not come out for a year or more. No silica bags, no dehumidifier, no heaters, just an oily rag. No rust. Simple and cheap.

Likewise.

These

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Large-Dry-Car-Home-Reusable-Dehumidifier-Bag-Moisture-Damp-Absorber-Pad-Van/390534853107?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid%3D4bf11ea9f16d490cae1ffa8abfcd7cbc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D193721001668%26itm%3D390534853107%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

They work well, along with a wipe down with an lightly oiled rag and not putting the guns away until they are the same temp as the room...

Never put away dirty, wet or cold guns and always wipe with a lightly oiled cloth.

I use a dehumidifier, plug it in and remove the moisture from the whole house.

i’m out every day in all weather and my guns never have a problem but then I have fitted wardrobe heaters in the cabinets too as it deals with the relative humidity 😁

Edited by Goldfish