Even more ****** with dogs

B725

Our Laura took her Springer for a walk this afternoon when a couple approached with two large Dalmatians on the stupid retractable leads when one of them lurched forward to bite her little dog but bit her on the leg. The couple never stopped to help her or anything just cleared off, I drove around to see if I could find them but they had disappeared. I have reported it to the police as she has a large black bruise and it has broken the skin with a small amount of blood, folk like that really boiles my was .

She is still trying to get to the doctor to have it cleaned and treated and if required a fresh tetanus jab.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting more common by the minute - this lockdown scenario has encouraged every kind of idiot and their uncle to get a Dog. My 2 Spaniels were attacked twice yesterday in 2 different woods - the second time by an Alsation that belongs to a Policeman. First one was a Dalmation and I have let the owners know, in no uncertain terms, that if the Dog does it again, I will set about it with a lump of wood. Told the Copper as well what I thought of him and his Dogs. I am seriously considering carrying something with me to protect my Dogs from now on - £68 this evening in the vets + Mr Plod is going to be paying that if it's the last thing I do.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

It's getting more common by the minute - this lockdown scenario has encouraged every kind of idiot and their uncle to get a Dog. My 2 Spaniels were attacked twice yesterday in 2 different woods - the second time by an Alsation that belongs to a Policeman. First one was a Dalmation and I have let the owners know, in no uncertain terms, that if the Dog does it again, I will set about it with a lump of wood. Told the Copper as well what I thought of him and his Dogs. I am seriously considering carrying something with me to protect my Dogs from now on - £68 this evening in the vets + Mr Plod is going to be paying that if it's the last thing I do.

Hope yours dogs ok mate. 

2 hours ago, B725 said:

I always take a very stout walking stick with me when I take my little spaniel out he is to soft to defend himself, I am in the process of sorting a suitable one for our Laura.

I hope your dog is ok

Hope Laura is ok mate. 

Mine is same as yours. He would run away wouldn't defend himself. 

I am sorry she has bitten. In this country every fool believes all canines are some sort of angelic being. They are dangerous animals, capable of causing damage. The owner of two Dalmatians should be easy to track down locally. I hope the police take the appropriate action.

I am waiting for someone to point out that being bitten was the wrong course of action, and that perhaps next time she’s being attacked she should try starting some clicker based positive training with the dog to encourage it to release her leg from its jaw...

1 hour ago, southeastpete said:

I heard once that those squeezy jif lemon shaped juice things are a good dog deterrent. A good spray of lemon juice right in its face should put it off?

Squeezy Jif lemons are a great training aid, breaks the dogs focus from whatever it was on long enough to allow you to retain control.  Also good to deter an over enthusiastic strange dog, but if it was being genuinely aggressive and meaning to do harm it will be of little use.

12 hours ago, B725 said:

Our Laura took her Springer for a walk this afternoon when a couple approached with two large Dalmatians on the stupid retractable leads when one of them lurched forward to bite her little dog but bit her on the leg. The couple never stopped to help her or anything just cleared off, I drove around to see if I could find them but they had disappeared. I have reported it to the police as she has a large black bruise and it has broken the skin with a small amount of blood, folk like that really boiles my was .

She is still trying to get to the doctor to have it cleaned and treated and if required a fresh tetanus jab.

Very sorry to hear this, its outrageous and is definitely becoming more common,I really hope she's okay. 

The best way to deal with an aggressive dog that has made a bite is to attempt a couple of swift boots to break contact, although in truly aggressive large dogs this is very unlikely to work, in which case, if they have a sturdy collar on, take hold of it and twist until their air supply is cut off, the dog still might not let go but obviously will once it passes out, unfortunately a very large, driven and truly aggressive dog vs a smaller person isn't likely to end well no matter what you do. 

Those on here who are simply slating the dogs for its behaviour are simply making excuses for the idiots that own them. People need to remember, very few dogs are born aggressive to people, it's almost always the product peoples idiotic actions, like I highlighted in a recent thread on here. As dogs evolved from wolves, in the same way humans have selectively bred spaniels and labs to be brilliant shooting partners, virtually all dogs have been selectively bred to be non aggressive to people, as any dog that showed unprovoked aggression would have been destroyed immediately and therefore not bred. If I could press only one button that would either remove all aggressive dogs or all idiotic owners, it'd be an easy choice, as if you only removed the aggressive dogs, it wouldn't be long before the idiotic owners made more aggressive dogs. 

I quite agree with you half the problem is they see this cute little puppy but they have no idea what to do with them as they grow bigger or what the dog will turn out to be like, when Laura takes the dog out again she will be extremely nervous as she is only a slip of a lass. 

1 minute ago, B725 said:

I quite agree with you half the problem is they see this cute little puppy but they have no idea what to do with them as they grow bigger or what the dog will turn out to be like, when Laura takes the dog out again she will be extremely nervous as she is only a slip of a lass. 

Yeah I bet, I hate to say it but maybe it's time to make licensing and a test compulsory to own a dog, it would save so much heart ache for both good owners, victims of dog attacks, two legged or four and the poor dogs that get put down. Although I'm very torn on that as good owners are then affected to, but even reading a very small minority of posts on this forum, makes me think it could be the only real way forward as some people are so arrogant they will never see that it's them that's the problem. 

23 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yeah I bet, I hate to say it but maybe it's time to make licensing and a test compulsory to own a dog, it would save so much heart ache for both good owners, victims of dog attacks, two legged or four and the poor dogs that get put down. Although I'm very torn on that as good owners are then affected to, but even reading a very small minority of posts on this forum, makes me think it could be the only real way forward as some people are so arrogant they will never see that it's them that's the problem. 

+1

Great idea!