Which 20 Bore? CG or Beretta

farmer7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, figgy said:

Wait till you get a hold of it, the one I had in my hands was one of the nicest handling and balanced guns I've handled. Felt very much like a SO10 I had hold of.

You won't want to give it back.

He’ll get it back, not keen on 20’s really. Will give it a whirl though, may take it on a syndicate day; he can’t really say no cos I know how much it cost......unlike his fiancé. 😄

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Ha ha good old blackmail 👍

Take any over and under and have the pistol grip taken out, you have what you like.

Sorry figgy, good try, but it would still be missing a trigger, weigh a pound and a half too much and removing a pistol grip rarely makes a stock look right, plus most are far too deep in the action to ever be considered elegant. IMO, of course.

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sorry figgy, good try, but it would still be missing a trigger, weigh a pound and a half too much and removing a pistol grip rarely makes a stock look right, plus most are far too deep in the action to ever be considered elegant. IMO, of course.

The most 'side by side like' over and under I know is the Merkel 303.  Straight hand stock, double triggers, automatic safety, true sidelock, hand detachable locks, and weighs about 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 lbs, but with very central weight concentration making it feel fast and light.  It is, however - very 'deep' in the action even by o/u standards.  GThey are beautifully made and the smoothness of the opening and closing etc. is exceptional.

Yes, VERY deep fugly action and far too heavily built. 
The only O/U’s I have ever used which were fun were McNab Highlanders in 28 gauge weighing 5lbs 14oz. 
The Beretta 20 bores are quite nice to use. 
A friend has a Chapuis which is nice enough.

As a committed SxS man I won’t be buying any O/U.

1 hour ago, button said:

That is really nice  

How did you come across that?

I bought it from Stewart at Glenluce Gunroom. I had barrelblacker reblue the barrels and lift a wee dent in the rib and stripped and reoiled the stock myself. I did so well with it last season that I bought a straight hand stocked 12 bore for this season but haven’t had the chance to try it out on game because of the Covid restrictions

03F5DACD-6124-4679-8E69-D1CDB9623C1B.jpeg

Edited by Konor
Adding picture

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

Very nice. Much like a mates I mentioned but yours has much nicer wood. B2G? B25?

No Scully it was made by Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham just outside Glasgow using a Miroku action. I bought it in the last Holts sale £1500 including commission. It had a small crack in the stock behind the top tang so it was a bit of a gamble but Graham MacKinlay of Glasgow Gunmakers fixed it for me.The 20 bore was £750 in 2016 and the 12 bore was £1520 including commission. The 12 bore was a 60th or retirement present , I’m still working though ! 
When I spoke to Alex he reckoned on £10000 up to create a number 2 so I feel lucky

Edited by Konor

Just now, Konor said:

No Scully it was made by Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham just outside Glasgow using a Miroku action. I bought it in the last Holts sale £1500 including commission. It had a small crack in the stock behind the top tang so it was a bit of a gamble but Graham MacKinlay of Glasgow Gunmakers fixed it for me.The 20 bore was £750 in 2016 and the 12 bore was £1520 including commission. The 12 bore was a 60th or retirement present , I’m still working though ! 

Very very nice. 👍

3 hours ago, Konor said:

I bought it from Stewart at Glenluce Gunroom. I had barrelblacker reblue the barrels and lift a wee dent in the rib and stripped and reoiled the stock myself. I did so well with it last season that I bought a straight hand stocked 12 bore for this season but haven’t had the chance to try it out on game because of the Covid restrictions

03F5DACD-6124-4679-8E69-D1CDB9623C1B.jpeg

Lovely, well done to you for taking the risk, I would certainly say you have done well there

I saw it myself but bottled it!

Happy to PM you my details when you decide to let them go cheap😉

39 minutes ago, button said:

Lovely, well done to you for taking the risk, I would certainly say you have done well there

I saw it myself but bottled it!

Happy to PM you my details when you decide to let them go cheap😉

Thanks button, I’m hoping that there will be a twenty year wait before they are on the market again. I may take them to the next Scottish pigeonwatch clay shoot and you could have a shot then though.

Edited by Konor

On 13/11/2020 at 19:19, farmer7 said:

Is yours a field version? Does it take the same microcore pads as other Berettas. I have a couple of different sized ones from my 692 sporter.

Thanks for that. I think on looks/style I'm leaning towards the CG but again difficult to ignore the Beretta!

I'm limiting myself by price really, not many 32" 20 bores around at the £1000-£1100 mark. I would buy a 32" if it was an option but haven't seen any.

Yeah just heading there! Thanks.

Sent you a PM