Well it’s been a good run.

NoBodyImportant

After having as much work as we wanted for the last 3 years several of our big companies  at work cancelled next years orders.  One company said it was so they could better evaluate their customers future buying habits.  They other company said they are expecting a cooler sales for the next few seasons.  Luckily after the last 3 years of stacking money like it was going out of style we will be alright  for a year or two.    The wife has her medical degree and can go back to the hospital to work if she has to.  I have already heard rumors of layoffs coming.  

trouble every where covid 19 sorry to hear your strife       my daughter furled  on holiday last week and this   week then will be called in if needed  deep clean she can run the office  face to face  while others isolate inc gaffers       im with you  scrimp and save for the rainy days   they will come how  long they last is anyone's guess   i have always looked on the bright side save and save for the wet day it will come         and the next contract  could be a challenge with a pay packet to boot all downsides have a bright side if you push good luck again

Weather spoons are closing all there pubs as of 6pm all the kids are now going to be furlonged  till we go back down to a tier 2 , they where never big paid to start with  but they put in the hours to pay there bills , you feel obligated to help them and the rumours are it could be for 6 months ?.

12 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

After having as much work as we wanted for the last 3 years several of our big companies  at work cancelled next years orders.  One company said it was so they could better evaluate their customers future buying habits.  They other company said they are expecting a cooler sales for the next few seasons.  Luckily after the last 3 years of stacking money like it was going out of style we will be alright  for a year or two.    The wife has her medical degree and can go back to the hospital to work if she has to.  I have already heard rumors of layoffs coming.  

Is it Covid or is it the other news item that has been going on in your country. I know you have said previously that Trump has been good for you??

3 hours ago, discobob said:

Is it Covid or is it the other news item that has been going on in your country. I know you have said previously that Trump has been good for you??

Biden as screamed higher corporate taxes and free trade since the beginning.  I have heard higher ups in the company talk about how current regulations and and tax incentives saved the company.  I least I was smart enough to pay every thing off and put some back.  The last 3 years have been amazing.  In my entire life I have never seen customers bidding for stuff we haven’t produced yet.  It’s always been we will pay X.  Take it or leave it.  It got to where companies were out bidding each other to buy what we produce.  Companies around here were desperate for employees and was paying twice the going rate to get employees in the door. 

15 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Biden as screamed higher corporate taxes and free trade since the beginning.  I have heard higher ups in the company talk about how current regulations and and tax incentives saved the company.  I least I was smart enough to pay every thing off and put some back.  The last 3 years have been amazing.  In my entire life I have never seen customers bidding for stuff we haven’t produced yet.  It’s always been we will pay X.  Take it or leave it.  It got to where companies were out bidding each other to buy what we produce.  Companies around here were desperate for employees and was paying twice the going rate to get employees in the door. 

If I remember correctly, did you not mention hydraulics a while back?

I would be surprised if Biden’s win was having an effect yet. I would have thought it would be Covid but I don’t know your industry. Things are getting bad in the U.K. as well. My son works for a lawyers and he has been told his job is at risk, his fiancé has had her hours cut from 8/day to 1 which isn’t worthwhile (she works at an airport as a dispatcher), my son-in-law runs an office cleaning country and that is obviously on its knees why nobody being in offices. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I would be surprised if Biden’s win was having an effect yet. I would have thought it would be Covid but I don’t know your industry. Things are getting bad in the U.K. as well. My son works for a lawyers and he has been told his job is at risk, his fiancé has had her hours cut from 8/day to 1 which isn’t worthwhile (she works at an airport as a dispatcher), my son-in-law runs an office cleaning country and that is obviously on its knees why nobody being in offices. 

I think that we are only really beginning to see the impact of covid and there will be a long run out of the consequence.

Despite Trump's rhetoric the US economy was starting to look sketchy, there was an undoubted pick up through Trump's presidency, but it couldn't be a sustained rate of growth and always had to slow down.  Unfortunately that natural slowing down coincided with the impact of covid and that has presented a cliff edge for some industries.  

The massive uncertainty of covid, the uncertainty of a new president and the natural cooling of the economy is a perfect storm in some ways. Hopefully there will be some stability soon as the outlook becomes clearer.

Edited by grrclark
Rubbish typing

17 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yes.  I work in the plastic industry but I am a machinist in the tool and die department.  Making hydraulic cylinders are a large part of my job.  

I wanted to come back home so just upped sticks and came. Post RAF I was in hydraulics but got a temporary job in the finishing department of a tool and die maker until I could find something oily. Our tools were hickory sticks and diamond paste. The guy that I replaced had also upped sticks and headed in your direction. Soon the letters arrived saying get yourselves out here, you won't regret it. I got what I was after but learned that a couple of the guys did just that and never looked back.

5 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I know 3 lads that have fled to Canada and another to oz. I can't see them returning. My uncle is in Canada and suggested I go too. The wife wasn't having it no matter how much space there is. I even tempted her with the states but it was a no go sadly. 

OMG what an opportunity to move to Canada 🇨🇦 I would be on the first plane ✈️ 

My grandparents, uncle, aunt and my mum and dad were all meant to emigrate to SA in 1970s. My dad was finishing his master’s, newly married and expecting a child so he decided to turn down the job and stay in the UK, saying goodbye to his family. My grandparents had a great life, but my cousins have no future. 

Just now, London Best said:

I was asked twice, in 1973 and 1974, to up sticks and join my wife’s relative in South Africa. As a 24 year old I didn’t have the bottle to do it. I never visited the country until 2004 and have regretted not emigrating in the ‘70’s ever since.