chrisjpainter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

Watched the ladies beat France earlier and currently watching the men’s game, looking like a win for the ladies and the gents today 

I watched the women's game and it was good rugby. 

The men's game was on, but when the opposition isn't up to much the game reflects that.

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I watched the women's game and it was good rugby. 

The men's game was on, but when the opposition isn't up to much the game reflects that.

Aye, Scarratt's about as classy a 13 as it's possible to get! I thought we were head and shoulders above France today. Bring on the rematch at Twickers.

Georgia were absolutely nowhere in conditions that didn't suit England's running game. 40-0 is a box ticked rather than any kind of statement made. I'm not sure the weather in the second half allowed much more than that. Ireland next.

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Aye, Scarratt's about as classy a 13 as it's possible to get! I thought we were head and shoulders above France today. Bring on the rematch at Twickers.

I started watching the women's game out of curiosity and was impressed,  not just with 13 but the whole team, lines they ran, kicking tackling. 

30 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Georgia were absolutely nowhere in conditions that didn't suit England's running game. 40-0 is a box ticked rather than any kind of statement made. I'm not sure the weather in the second half allowed much more than that. Ireland next.

I watched the first half but it was a no contest so was in and out through the second half,  bad conditions yes but leagues apart.

I thought exactly the same as OP pre lockdown, however, I thought every point England scored against Georgia were hard earned points. I thought their defence was a credit to them but fair play to us we got the points. I also thought the Scotland / Italy game was fab to watch, in summary I definitely think Italy, Scotland & Georgia are improving leaps and bounds, however, it's like shooting or dog training it ain't easy and you got to get the basics right 1st which I think I,S,G, are doing but they way way way out of their depth to winning big games but they are all capable of winning a big game on occasion. I love rugby and still wish I was playing ( and obviously an odd few drinking games with the lads ).

1 hour ago, Shearwater said:

I thought exactly the same as OP pre lockdown, however, I thought every point England scored against Georgia were hard earned points. I thought their defence was a credit to them but fair play to us we got the points. I also thought the Scotland / Italy game was fab to watch, in summary I definitely think Italy, Scotland & Georgia are improving leaps and bounds, however, it's like shooting or dog training it ain't easy and you got to get the basics right 1st which I think I,S,G, are doing but they way way way out of their depth to winning big games but they are all capable of winning a big game on occasion. I love rugby and still wish I was playing ( and obviously an odd few drinking games with the lads ).

I think the disappointment with Italy is that they're as uncompetitive now as they were when they joined the Nations tournament. They're on a 27 match losing run, the longest they've ever had. In 21 years, they've avoided the wooden spoon six times. 

Could Georgia do any better after 21 years playing elite level teams on a regular basis? I don't know. 

7 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think the disappointment with Italy is that they're as uncompetitive now as they were when they joined the Nations tournament. They're on a 27 match losing run, the longest they've ever had. In 21 years, they've avoided the wooden spoon six times. 

Could Georgia do any better after 21 years playing elite level teams on a regular basis? I don't know. 

I think they should be given the opportunity. 2nd tier Six nations with promotion/relegation. Ok it might always be between Italy/Georgia (although Scotland/Wales might panic occasionally!) but it’s the only way for the game to grow. Add a country like Japan to the mix and it would really stir things up. 

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

I think they should be given the opportunity. 2nd tier Six nations with promotion/relegation. Ok it might always be between Italy/Georgia (although Scotland/Wales might panic occasionally!) but it’s the only way for the game to grow. Add a country like Japan to the mix and it would really stir things up. 

I'm hoping for one big performance from them over these autumn internationals. Perhaps an upset, or a really close fought defeat. They've won the lower tier cup 11 of the past 13 years, so they're not going to get better playing the dross they've been beating there. 

3 hours ago, Shearwater said:

love rugby and still wish I was playing ( and obviously an odd few drinking games with the lads

Have a look at masters rugby league,  there's nothing happening this year but hopefully back next year, it's not 'proper' rugby although some games can get tasty, but there's always a laugh and a beer afterwards. 

And in masters age is just a number,  so long as your over 35 😁

11 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I again think your correct and the system isn't working but as mentioned different tiers would allow the lesser teams to learn how to score; at the minute the bottom teams spend most of the 80mins defending and in some cases better defence coaching techniques. Any event we all love the game and see the same problem so someone should change the way its run

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Have a look at masters rugby league,  there's nothing happening this year but hopefully back next year, it's not 'proper' rugby although some games can get tasty, but there's always a laugh and a beer afterwards. 

And in masters age is just a number,  so long as your over 35 😁

I didn't know about that but in all honesty I would probably do a better job wearing the spoofing jacket these days

Walshie the way we are playing we would  be kicked out but you are right if it wasn't for italy who would have the wooden spoon

51 minutes ago, walshie said:

They should just go back to 5 Nations until such a time that a 6th team deserves to be in the tournament. Making up the numbers or being slightly less useless than another team isn't reason enough to be in it. 

Italy can play some good rugby but usually only for 40 minutes which is such a shame as I like them as a team, I guess I like an underdog.

This weekends Wales v Georgia match should be a game and we will see how Georgia stand up against wales, I imagine Wales will try same tactic as England plus moving the ball quickly in second half once the Georgians are exhausted.

Mick

5 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Walshie the way we are playing we would  be kicked out but you are right if it wasn't for italy who would have the wooden spoon

Indeed, but only this year. Wales are a top tier team. Once your new coach does his stuff I have no doubt things will improve. You have the talent but are a bit leaderless temporarily. 

Italy will never, ever be worthy opponents for the other 5. They are useful for teams to get 5 points or amass a lot of points and that's it. It's no shame on them but they should play in a different tournament. Can't be fun for them to be humiliated year after year.

14 hours ago, Shearwater said:

didn't know about that but in all honesty I would probably do a better job wearing the spoofing jacket these days

It's worth looking at, not about being great for most, its about still getting on the pitch and have an amble about in some cases, and the coloured short system mostly 🤥 protects the older players.

And there is always a beer afterwards,  the home team provides the first 👍