Jump to content

Rugby Autumn Internationals


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Does anyone know with the games that Amazon are showing can you only watch them live or from the beginning whilst they are in play?

I'm sure I'll miss the start of the England v Wales game later, but I haven't watched any games on Amazon yet.

Cheers and come on England!!!

It's live on S4C, Freesat 104 in Wales and 120 outside of Wales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Does anyone know with the games that Amazon are showing can you only watch them live or from the beginning whilst they are in play?

I'm sure I'll miss the start of the England v Wales game later, but I haven't watched any games on Amazon yet.

Cheers and come on England!!!

You can also watch them on Amazon later on, they still have all the previous matches on there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Best team won but it was expecting much worse 👏👏👏

Yeah, Wales looked competitive, but lacked flair. Every time they put the phases together, they ended up getting pushed back and had to kick. Decent game, but not quite the barnstormer of previous encounters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of young players getting experience against a good English side.Building for 2023 world cup.We need a bit of patience to get things to blend.We forget that Gatland didn't have a good track record when he took over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started watching the game earlier but kept getting a notice coming up saying this is not live, very annoying so turned off.

Just finishing the second half now and I thought it was a terrible game, no real flow, England always seem to want to put the ball high against Wales but Halfpenny is probably one of the best full backs in the world, so why??

First half England always seemed to be in front slightly or it was bad ball behind them enough to inhibit the running game.

Considering the way England played last week I'd say it was poor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greylag said:

Plenty of young players getting experience against a good English side.Building for 2023 world cup.We need a bit of patience to get things to blend.We forget that Gatland didn't have a good track record when he took over.

but he did have players at their peak or approaching it, who would turn out to be world class. It's hard to say this early on, but I don't think Pivac has the same calibre of raw materials that Gatland had

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mice! said:

I started watching the game earlier but kept getting a notice coming up saying this is not live, very annoying so turned off.

Just finishing the second half now and I thought it was a terrible game, no real flow, England always seem to want to put the ball high against Wales but Halfpenny is probably one of the best full backs in the world, so why??

First half England always seemed to be in front slightly or it was bad ball behind them enough to inhibit the running game.

Considering the way England played last week I'd say it was poor.

It's the modern way I am afraid. More dangerous to have the ball and potentially concede a penalty or turnover in a dangerous position so let the opposition have it downfield and trust your defence. I don't like it either. 

I don't like the modern approach to catching either. Leap high in the air, often leading with a boot, and clatter into somebody hopping to get a penalty for being tackled in the air. Would it be better to change the law so that catches have to be taken with feet firmly on the ground? It might not change the amount of kicking but would give the attacking side more of a chance to recover the ball. There's a few other laws I would change as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AVB said:

It's the modern way I am afraid. More dangerous to have the ball and potentially concede a penalty or turnover in a dangerous position so let the opposition have it downfield and trust your defence. I don't like it either. 

I don't like the modern approach to catching either. Leap high in the air, often leading with a boot, and clatter into somebody hopping to get a penalty for being tackled in the air. Would it be better to change the law so that catches have to be taken with feet firmly on the ground? It might not change the amount of kicking but would give the attacking side more of a chance to recover the ball. There's a few other laws I would change as well. 

That's why us rugby league players call it kick and clap, the problem for me was how different they played yesterday when compared with the Ireland game, kicking high against wales is wasted, you would think they hadn't played each other often.

I like the catch in the air, it takes a lot of skill, some definitely jump just to obstruct the catcher though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Now that was a man that could side step you in a phone box

He certainly could, just watching the clips and seeing the back three running the ball back at the defence was a delight.

That young winger who came on for Wales looks like he should be doing that, running back towards a broken defence would definitely cause problems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

He certainly could, just watching the clips and seeing the back three running the ball back at the defence was a delight.

That young winger who came on for Wales looks like he should be doing that, running back towards a broken defence would definitely cause problems. 

Therein lies the issue. Defensive techniques have developed faster than attacking techniques. It's probably the law of diminishing returns playing out. In terms of an attacking back running, there's less scope to improve, hone and develop it. But if you compare defensive techniques now to 15/20 years ago, it's a world apart. The fitness, agility and speed of forwards has moved on massively, so a gap that would have been there when a Richard Hill was trying to get back into line is now plugged by a Tom Curry. Even your front three are far more mobile and agile these days, so the gaps get filled quicker and by people who are harder to beat. Hill, Vickery, Thompson and Woodman were all world class in their day, but compared to the modern style of player, I think they'd be much more exposed in a defensive situation like a back running from deep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think they'd be much more exposed in a defensive situation like a back running from deep. 

Yes I know what your saying and the fitness of the players is massively different these days,  but I'd still like to see a back three running the ball out for a change, they should be able to run around the forwards given some space. 

But England also didn't defend with the same intensity on Saturday either.

I still wouldn't like to run into some of those forwards though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Yes I know what your saying and the fitness of the players is massively different these days,  but I'd still like to see a back three running the ball out for a change, they should be able to run around the forwards given some space. 

But England also didn't defend with the same intensity on Saturday either.

I still wouldn't like to run into some of those forwards though!

Yeah, and too often these days, if they ever do run, it's as an individual and will look to offload in the tackle. It's so rare to see a back make a break and be able to make a pop pass to the left or right before contact and keep the break going. It's all a case of make a break see how far one player gets, then reset with the forwards

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...