Lead free for 2 1/2" chambers and older guns - an update

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

Thanks for that. The 'Zero’ shot sounds interesting - "Made from an alloy of bismuth, aluminium, zinc and tin, it will be suitable for use in any vintage gun with any choke constriction."

Interesting, aluminium one of the lightest metal know then zinc also, wonder why include them when normal bismuth shot is just bismuth with a little tin, what can it do that bismuth plus tin cannot? 

If mainly bismuth will still be expensive. 

Edited by rbrowning2

Gamebore made tin shot cartridges some twenty years ago. As Wildfowlers myself and two friends were invited to try them. We went  to the Nissan car plant in Sunderland, I think it was their clay ground . A number of Fowler’s attended a rep from the tin company expanded the benefits of tin shot and we patterned the cartridges. The cartridges broke clay targets but the recoil was excessive a number of shooters stopped due to headaches, it was Sunday morning and they were out till late Saturday night. The shot was to light, the report was more like the crack of a rifle. I used them on pigeons and they killed them, but the report moved every bird in the area, l used them to keep pigeons off the rape in winter two shots and the flock would disappear. They could be used in game guns but l couldn’t fire many. This new shot sounds like the new steel, for game guns. Good luck to them I’m sure they will get it done.

I used the 20gauge Eley bio steel, l was given them to try (from Eley). I used the Eley 20gauge Steel with the plastic wads they were very good and quieter than other brands. Eley stopped selling them in the UK .l bought the last couple of thousand they had, if I new that they were discontinued l would have bought more. I kept a hundred or so. I compared them with the new bio cartridge, the only difference is the shot size. Testing the pattern l noticed the new wad didn’t open on any of the test shots. In 20gauge l find them a lot quieter this means less disturbance to pigeon and people. My son will only use 12gauge Eley bio steel. He used them last season and this season. It didn’t take long for cartridges to change, more to come .

14 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Gamebore made tin shot cartridges some twenty years ago. As Wildfowlers myself and two friends were invited to try them. We went  to the Nissan car plant in Sunderland, I think it was their clay ground . A number of Fowler’s attended a rep from the tin company expanded the benefits of tin shot and we patterned the cartridges. The cartridges broke clay targets but the recoil was excessive a number of shooters stopped due to headaches, it was Sunday morning and they were out till late Saturday night. The shot was to light, the report was more like the crack of a rifle. I used them on pigeons and they killed them, but the report moved every bird in the area, l used them to keep pigeons off the rape in winter two shots and the flock would disappear. They could be used in game guns but l couldn’t fire many. This new shot sounds like the new steel, for game guns. Good luck to them I’m sure they will get it done.

About that time, perhaps a little earlier, I was asked to try some zinc loads. They were suggested for rabbit, pigeon and clays. The former two sizes killed well enough out to 30+ yards, but the clay load damn near sat me on my rear. One was enough.