Hushpower questions for owners/users

ajsnelling

If you want ridiculously quiet cartridges. Try these .

First time I tried them I thought the gun had missfired  they sound similar to my airguns 

They don't kill past 15 yds tho .

Screenshot_20201120-165532_Google.jpg

4 hours ago, ajsnelling said:

Could anyone tell me if a modded pump 410 will be much louder than a full length 410? I'd prefer a pump unless it's way louder. Thanks 

No it won't be much louder if at all .

Put it this way I have an add on mod on my .410 .and my mate had the fully shrouded baikal .yes it was a touch quieter at the muzzle .past 20 yds there was zero difference .

He sold it and bought a normal baikal and added a mod on the end like mine .its lighter and swings better and produces better kills  .

I think its shorter too  .

and cheaper 

Thanks all for the helpful replies, I think I'll phone the saddlery and gunroom as advised, I'm not too worried about effectiveness as long as my dog doesn't mind it. I'd much rather go home with 2 birds but have a good day with the Springer than 40 birds without him. If that makes sense 😁 

That being said. I don't want a single shot full modded 410, that's the only one I want to disregard 

One thing to consider - with a .410 is that due to the shortened range of the calibre (30 yds  imo ) the chance of a second shot being a successful  kill shot is much reduced .

Often when decoying pige or crows after the first bird is hit a second shot tends to be a chasing shot going away .These tend to have a lower chance of success even with  12 b . With a.410 its almost pointless  

For this reason I feel a second shot in .410 is most time either not on or just a waste of cartridge .

I wouldn't discount a single shot gun in .410 .but I'm no fan of the fully shrouded guns .

Long and heavy imo .with ported barrels also .

the top baikal is only just a bit quieter than the lower one .and that's at the muzzle .walk a few yards away and its hard to tell the difference .I know because we tested them side by side and at 20 yds I couldn't differentiate them 

1 minute ago, London Best said:

Just curious.

top one is a standard baikal steath   info on the net I guess the other 2 inches shorter  

the bottom one is by far the better gun .

54 minutes ago, London Best said:

What length are those guns from the breech to the end of the dustbin?

A fraction over 34", it's about 50 1/2" from pad to the end of the can.

14 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I wouldn't discount a single shot gun in .410 .but I'm no fan of the fully shrouded guns .

I'm not disagreeing but I'm curious to know why? I don't have a problem with the handling of my fully shrouded gun. I would expect it to loose some velocity of the shot with the holes drilled in the barrel. Do they recommend you only use fibre wads in your end mod or can you happily use plastic?

The issue with the porting in the end section of the barrel is 3 fold .

1 - it will reduce velocity because the pressure behind the wad is bled off at the first hole effectively making the barrel perform like a shorter  one .

2- the holes can shave bits off the plas wads that will fill up in the space between shroud and barrel and could migrate to places you don't want them  trigger etc.

3 there is no way I would shoot steel shot over those ports  

yes I use plas wads in  my .410 but then my barrel isn't ported   .

I've only seen 1 plastic shaving in my add on mod in over 3 years and thousands of plas wad carts .

Don't discount the full length single barrel moderated.  I had the three shot pump Mossberg. I really enjoyed using it. However, I found it patterned badly with some shells and was very un balanced with it being heavy at the muzzle end. I contemplated putting some weight in the stock, but then tried a friends Baikal hush power. It handles a dream by comparison and patterns beautifully resulting in being twice as effective. Thats just my experience, others will have different views. 

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The issue with the porting in the end section of the barrel is 3 fold .

1 - it will reduce velocity because the pressure behind the wad is bled off at the first hole effectively making the barrel perform like a shorter  one .

2- the holes can shave bits off the plas wads that will fill up in the space between shroud and barrel and could migrate to places you don't want them  trigger etc.

3 there is no way I would shoot steel shot over those ports  

yes I use plas wads in  my .410 but then my barrel isn't ported   .

I've only seen 1 plastic shaving in my add on mod in over 3 years and thousands of plas wad carts .

Can't argue with that. I use mainly fibre wads but have shot a hundred or so plaswads and never had a problem or any plastic bits. Still you are warned to be careful.

What cartridges do you use and what shot size? I am puzzled that some subsonic .410 cartridges only come in size 5 shot.

On 19/11/2020 at 23:13, ajsnelling said:

Ok thank you, you mean a pump 410? 

When I got my Springer he was 4 1/2 years old and I was told he had some training as a gun dog. I quickly discovered he is excellent at retrieval of birds but doesn't like the gun noise. It appears as though he was shot over too soon or too full on, which is sad because I don't feel right going out to a field and leaving him at home 

thats a shame ,how bad is he when a shot is fired? must be some trainers on here could give you some possible advice.

think you need to try and hook up with someone local who has one to see if its going to make a difference before investing.,

if you were closer id of been happy to help got both 410 and 20 hushpower here.

1 hour ago, Remimax said:

thats a shame ,how bad is he when a shot is fired? must be some trainers on here could give you some possible advice.

think you need to try and hook up with someone local who has one to see if its going to make a difference before investing.,

if you were closer id of been happy to help got both 410 and 20 hushpower here.

Ah thanks for the kind offer. He is pretty bad really, must have been introduced to it badly, I have tried a few things but a normal gun is always going to be too much I think

Hi I’ve got the .410 Mossberg pump hushpower, it took me a while to get the hang of it but now really rate it. Yes you have to be sensible with the range, but decoying they are a joy to use. I use mainly Eley 3 inch magnums they are noisier than the subsonic carts but kill better, the subsonics are very quiet. There are quiet a few videos on you tube have a look and see for yourself, I’m sure your dog will be fine with one of these. 👍

On 20/11/2020 at 13:42, udderlyoffroad said:

It would be horrendously expensive.  Thin walled tube, welded to an end plate, plus baffles.  Then you'd have to coat the thing as it would be shiny.  Welding titanium is a non-trivial thing to tool up for.

You'd likely be better off with an engineering plastic. 

Back to the OP's question:

I couldn't find a 20b O/U for sensible money, so I bought the 20b pump.  Shooting it, then going back to a regular shotgun, is akin to taking off a pair of skates or ski boots and walking normally again.  I don't have the opportunity @oowee has to go shooting as regularly, so I'm not getting the practice in.  However, with the right 30g 5 carts, it is quiet, but will still produce a bang close up, so you would have to keep Muttley behind you, or at least tight to heel.

Evening,

I've recently purchased a 20g mossberg hushpower pump and wanted to replace the front bead on the mod. I called up hushpower to ask them about the front bead size, they've told me its a 4ba thread. I cannot find a fibre sight in that thread anywhere, any ideas?

Thanks