Desert Island Discs Alternatives

WalkedUp

I’ve listen to Desert Island Discs for a some time. The change to Kirsty Young was positive as she has a divine voice and journalist’s intuition of what questions to ask. Lauren Levine is absolutely wooden and each interview just sounds like a pre-written questionnaire. 

Sir Kier Starmer was on yesterday, I haven’t listened to it yet because I can’t stand the BBC giving politicians a soapbox to set out their stall, same as when they have actors doing advertorials for their latest release. I would much prefer for the selection to be limited to people without something (even their own brand) to sell. Someone coming to the end of a career and reflecting rather than trying to polish their self image. 

I have started to switch allegiances to The Life Scientific, which is much more interesting to me - but without the music. Any other good programmes to listen to? I do not do commercial radio. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I do not do commercial radio. 

Time for you to explore the world of podcasts, if you haven't already.  Most of them have 30s - 1min of ads at the beginning, but you have a fast forward button!  If you have an Apple device, you have a podcast app built in, if you have an Android, you need to select one from the app store.  If you have a 'smart speaker', you can tell it to play your podcast.

If you like the 'deep dive'/reflective type interviews, Joe Rogan can be interesting, but he is awful for ads, there you need to skip the first 5mins.  He's the one who had Elon Mask spark up a funny cigarette during an interview.

"We have ways of making you talk" is a good podcast on the Second World War.

"What most people think" can be amusing on occasion.