Electric car advice

ditchman

have put this in off topic as it will get a wider look at...

im thinking of getting a small electric car next year .....2nd hand...pointless getting a new one as they depreciate emmensly......proberly looking at paying 10k or so

i do about 120 miles/week all local.....

anyone running a small electric car on pigeonwatch..........what are the ups and downs of owning and running one...??

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fella I know works at nissan factory, he is running a Nissan leaf.  Said it's brilliant, I asked about range and his reply. His main computes are to work and home short around ten miles. He only needs to charge once a week. Inger journey he plans for charging or goes by train.

Works great for his needs.

Edited by figgy

I have no idea of the practicalities Ditchy, but there is an elderly couple in the village who run a little all electric ( as far as I know ) Smart car. 
We are VERY rural but the roads are tarmac, and I assume it is charged at their house. 
The only drawback I know of is that he can creep up behind you when walking through the village, and he’s obviously too polite to pip his horn! Feels like you’re being stalked! 🙂

My supervisor bought a brand new electric car he just uses it for work as hes about 30 miles away sly fox get free charging at the university as they have to have so many chargers on the campus , maybe puts it on charge a hour a day unless hes been on his days off and using it then first shift back  puts it on a longer charge 

He had the bloody thing 6 months before he even got a charging point at his house 

I think the thing that would concern  me , but have never realy looked into it . The buying of a secondhand  one , I suppose depending on age , but have to replace the battery  set up . I dont know of there life expectancy  . I would not presume they were cheap to replace . Think this is my main concern  about them really  .

No experience myself as I just do to many miles per week. Presumably you will want to have to charge your new to you vehicle at home and will need to have a charging point. Have a look in the Toolstation catalogue (Page 658) it will give you an insight into how much home charging points are, with out the installation and running costs.

Hope it works out for you.

FB

14 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I think the thing that would concern  me , but have never realy looked into it . The buying of a secondhand  one , I suppose depending on age , but have to replace the battery  set up . I dont know of there life expectancy  . I would not presume they were cheap to replace . Think this is my main concern  about them really  .

that is what i think of too

14 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

No experience myself as I just do to many miles per week. Presumably you will want to have to charge your new to you vehicle at home and will need to have a charging point. Have a look in the Toolstation catalogue (Page 658) it will give you an insight into how much home charging points are, with out the installation and running costs.

Hope it works out for you.

FB

i believe you can get a substantial grant which covers nearly all the cost of the charging point..................

you can charge straight off your cooker point(with a transformer)

31 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have no idea of the practicalities Ditchy, but there is an elderly couple in the village who run a little all electric ( as far as I know ) Smart car. 
We are VERY rural but the roads are tarmac, and I assume it is charged at their house. 
The only drawback I know of is that he can creep up behind you when walking through the village, and he’s obviously too polite to pip his horn! Feels like you’re being stalked! 🙂

but it takes 4 hours as opposed to a 1 hour charge with a proper charging point....(so im told)

have nearly been run down 3 times with electric cars..:mad:

58 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I make electric vehicles for a living and am heavily involved in battery design, procurement and end of life for batteries. 

Firstly you are correct - battery can make up 25% or so of the cost to make the vehicle. 

life-wise they are less of an issue - the newer battery technology will last a long time. The battery management system protects it from “lifing” itself from aggressive charging or power demand from the rest of the vehicle. 

there are companies who will re-manufacture batteries with the goal to have a re-man battery available for older vehicles at a cost which makes sense to put a new battery in an old vehicle. There will soon also be the possibility to “upgrade” older vehicles with better batteries as cell technology advances. 

I run a mild hybrid so not pure EV - why don’t I run pure EV? Not down to the vehicles, simply because of the lack of charging infrastructure - many of my fishing locations would be inaccessible with pure EV as I could get there but not get back! 

How about a self charging hybrid?

Some models are faring better than others in their range per charge over time, I know for sure that the Leaf suffers from noticeable degradation and if you're buying s/h in general then you're getting a car which already has reduced range limit compared to the latest models. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

im thinking of getting a small electric car next year .....2nd hand...pointless getting a new one as they depreciate emmensly......proberly looking at paying 10k or so

i do about 120 miles/week all local.....

anyone running..........what are the ups and downs of owning and running one...??

You've got the wrong idea mucker, why don't you build your own?

20201116_115922.jpg

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/yabba-dabba-shotts-man-puts-7654559.amp

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

How about a self charging hybrid?

Some models are faring better than others in their range per charge over time, I know for sure that the Leaf suffers from noticeable degradation and if you're buying s/h in general then you're getting a car which already has reduced range limit compared to the latest models. 

thats another zillion things to go wrong.........i want to simplify my life not worry about more stuff that can go wrong...

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thats another zillion things to go wrong.........i want to simplify my life not worry about more stuff that can go wrong...

There is a lot less to go wrong on an EV than an ICE vehicle. Effectively a battery, some harnessing and motors replacing an awful lot of very complicated / tight tolerance / high maintenance components which need servicing much more regularly than EV power train. 

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

sounds like Uber is your friend then 🙂 

Just now, oscarsdad said:

There is a lot less to go wrong on an EV than an ICE vehicle. Effectively a battery, some harnessing and motors replacing an awful lot of very complicated / tight tolerance / high maintenance components which need servicing much more regularly than EV power train. 

I'd 100% agree with that but if you get your s/h EV purchase wrong you could be stuck with something increasingly not fit for purpose which would cause a ton of grief and stress with no way to rectify.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

sounds like Uber is your friend then 🙂 

I'd 100% agree with that but if you get your s/h EV purchase wrong you could be stuck with something increasingly not fit for purpose which would cause a ton of grief and stress with no way to rectify.

Agreed, I wouldn’t want one with no warranty on the battery