Electric car advice

ditchman

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We knew them as cripple carriages, they were driven by WW11 vets a lot locally when I were a wee lad.

The Invicar, easy to park didn't rust, no worry about parkers not being a badge holder and parking in disabled spaces.

I'm sure Ditchy could make a good car out of one.

A pic of Hubnuts.

2883.jpg

You can get a 2019 Renault Zoe for that price. Probably 150+ mile real life range which is plenty for the mileage that you do. 

a home charger is about £450 for a standard installation but you get a government grant of £350 towards this. 

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

You can get a 2019 Renault Zoe for that price. Probably 150+ mile real life range which is plenty for the mileage that you do. 

a home charger is about £450 for a standard installation but you get a government grant of £350 towards this. 

thank you .............helpful answer...:good:

29 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Like this, I was wondering why they did that, now I know to reach the cooker socket.😂

image.jpeg.068d0ab2ff51d7734be3115ad9864880.jpeg

Bit awkward if you live in one of those upside down houses 🤔

3 hours ago, figgy said:

We knew them as cripple carriages, they were driven by WW11 vets a lot locally when I were a wee lad.

The Invicar, easy to park didn't rust, no worry about parkers not being a badge holder and parking in disabled spaces.

A pic of Hubnuts.

2883.jpg

And the driver always had one of those boots with a six inch thick sole

3 hours ago, figgy said:

A pic of Hubnuts.

2883.jpg

As a kid groups of us used to pick them up and move them around the car park. Then watch the owners look puzzled when it wasn’t where they parked it. Iirc they were powered by a 210cc villiers engine, many of which made their way onto 210cc racing karts. 

8 hours ago, AVB said:

As a kid groups of us used to pick them up and move them around the car park. Then watch the owners look puzzled when it wasn’t where they parked it. Iirc they were powered by a 210cc villiers engine, many of which made their way onto 210cc racing karts. 

Originally fitted with a hand-start Villiers 150cc, followed by a Villiers 197cc with a Siba Dynastart starter, then when Villiers ceased engine production, the Austrian Steyr 500cc

The 197cc Villiers was often upgraded with a special barrel to 210cc for karting, but I have never heard of those hot engines being fitted to an Invacar - apart from the very special 250cc scrambler- engined one driven by Derry Preston-Cobb, the cousin of Bert Greeves who started Invacar

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

stick with what you know until they have batteries that will last 200,000 miles like a diesel engine.

21 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

which models they struggle with 300 miles?

You appear to be conflating range with operating life.

@ditchman, I'm struggling to understand  why you'd want to drop £10k on an EV when by the sounds of it a £2k Fiesta would do you?  You want to simplify.  Currently EV's are still very much a minority pursuit.

By the way, your cooker point socket is still only rated for 13 amps, and that's before you consider the practicalities of driving into the kitchen.  NFN*, as  it says on medical notes

Yes, people for the most part, have this range issue wrong in their heads.  In that, essentially the 'filling station' is at home.  They might barely make 300 miles, but if you always leave the house with a full tank, that 300 miles will do you for all but the longest trips.

That said, I'm not buying one.  Nobody has yet built a 4x4 pickup EV that will replace my L200.  There's a reason for that, drag increases with the square of speed.  Towing a trailer, the range on an EV falls off a cliff - even with 'rapid charging infrastructure'.  Fine for the average EV owner, but the motoring press, especially in the US, will absolutely crucify anyone daft enough to release a truck that can't do reasonable range whilst towing. 

*Normal for Norfolk