Buzzard shot down - caught on camera

ehb102

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite my own misgivings ( possibly based on scepticism and a dose of wishful thinking ) it doesn’t now matter whether it was a Buzzard or a Bison, the damage is done and it’s out there; there would never be a retraction and certainly not one of the same scale which the original incident has attracted. 
There are clearly imbeciles amongst us. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Despite my own misgivings ( possibly based on scepticism and a dose of wishful thinking ) it doesn’t now matter whether it was a Buzzard or a Bison, the damage is done and it’s out there; there would never be a retraction and certainly not one of the same scale which the original incident has attracted. 
There are clearly imbeciles amongst us. 

doing nothing is WHY it continues to happen this is a opportunity to expose we are being deliberately smeared if we fail to do anything we deserve it to continue and it will 

Scully, I agree this video release has done some damage. Frankly I would rather it had been a bison....?! However it seems to have been reasonably limited to those Twitterers and Facebookers (for now) who were probably anti in the first place. 

What would make impactful headlines though - would be ‘RSPB Lied About Buzzard Shooting’ or similar. How about ‘RSPB looses Royal Patronage’. Could be a major victory....?!

This really needs to be thoroughly investigated. 

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You would have to be pretty stupid to shoot anything on or adjacent to a nature reserve. Reverse the question who would be out there shooting in the first place? and why? People with shotguns don't just wander round on the off chance

Precisely!  It is remarkably easy to establish who was shooting on a given piece of land at a particular time. This really does smell very rat-like.

(p.s not many are convinced it was a crow. Let’s all forget that silly distraction.)

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You would have to be pretty stupid to shoot anything on or adjacent to a nature reserve. Reverse the question who would be out there shooting in the first place? and why? People with shotguns don't just wander round on the off chance

Someone who has permission to carry out legal pest control would be shooting on a farm next to it. I had fox control on a farm right next to a reserve. I was legally doing pest control on a field near it. This is a video showing someone shoot the Buzzard illegally, 'unless again they have a licence to control the Buzzard' and are employed by rspb to do it. There are so many if buts maybes on this story for any of us members of a shooting forum to base any real theory on who what why and when. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Scully, I agree this video release has done some damage. Frankly I would rather it had been a bison....?! However it seems to have been reasonably limited to those Twitterers and Facebookers (for now) who were probably anti in the first place. 

What would make impactful headlines though - would be ‘RSPB Lied About Buzzard Shooting’ or similar. How about ‘RSPB looses Royal Patronage’. Could be a major victory....?!

This really needs to be thoroughly investigated. 

I totally agree, it does need investigating thoroughly, and showing up the RSPB for deceit and falsehoods would make me a very happy chappy.

The fact this allegedly took place a little while ago but only surfaced a day or so after Beefys condemnation of the RSPB, brings out the cynic in me. 
Nothing like deflecting a bit of criticism with a counter claim is there? 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Someone who has permission to carry out legal pest control would be shooting on a farm next to it. I had fox control on a farm right next to a reserve. I was legally doing pest control on a field near it. This is a video showing someone shoot the Buzzard illegally, 'unless again they have a licence to control the Buzzard' and are employed by rspb to do it. There are so many if buts maybes on this story for any of us members of a shooting forum to base any real theory on who what why and when. 

Wouldn’t it be handy if it turns out the person responsible was doing it under license? Even better if it were on behalf of the RSPB. 🙂

Edited by Scully

33 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You’ve never heard of rough shooting?

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wouldn’t it be handy if it turns out the person responsible was doing it under license? Even better if it were on behalf of the RSPB. 🙂

try this one htv local news last night beaufort hunt deliberately killing foxes hunt hounds showed everything except a shot you could DEFINITELY see it was a fox being killed felt like da ja vue 

I've been holding back from replying to this, as I've been reading and following this with interest.

I'm sort of local, and have actually worked in that vicinity a few times over the past few years, and also have a friend who lives close by too, so know the 'lay of the land' so to speak.

The whole area for many square miles is completely flat,,,, the wooded areas are the only exception. It can be very windy, but being flat there isn't much chance of uplift thermals in October, when this clip was supposed to be filmed. Bear with me. That is why the buzzard was seen to be flapping hard to get some height and momentum after getting mobbed by the other indetermined raptor. Also there appeared to be no wind on that particular day.

Like others have said,,,, there seems to be lots of 'greenery' for early autumn.

I've also looked extensively on G maps and can't for the life of me see the buildings [lower left at start of clip] or any buildings similar with the fields and woodland in the background, or even within a square mile or two. Even if the images have been flipped, there is nothing. In fact, there aren't many buildings at all near that particular rspb site.

I know that looking at maps from above isn't the same as viewing from the ground, as in the clip, but,,,, if anyone else can correct me please do 😉

This leads me to think that this is a "fake video" at the least, or filmed elsewhere and 'held on to' as has been pointed out.

Just my thoughts on this dreadful 'event'.

Right from the off this didn't ring true with me, but held back as I said. Also, some will understand this,,,, my demon is the Buzzard 😊 so very interested in this !!!

I must add that on my infrequent visits to that area I don't ever recall seeing any buzzards, and in my opinion, and experience, it isn't the likely environment to find them either. Smaller raptors yes,,,, like the one seen reeling away in this clip. And if you know that area, the roads are very winding, very visible from most positions, and most don't 'lead' anywhere as such,,,, sort of loop back on themselves. So,,,, it would have been easy, if you were inclined to do so, to identify any vehicle either parked up or 'doing the off'.

Also  to add to the thoughts of others,,,, if any bird, let alone a buzzard, is shot/injured or whatever and falls to the ground, it wouldn't last a few days before dieing, let alone 9 days  🙄 The 'facts' in the report just don't add up !

A local Kent "boi" watching with great interest 🤔

Edited by JKD
Slight alterations

1 hour ago, JKD said:

I've been holding back from replying to this, as I've been reading and following this with interest.

I'm sort of local, and have actually worked in that vicinity a few times over the past few years, and also have a friend who lives close by too, so know the 'lay of the land' so to speak.

The whole area for many square miles is completely flat,,,, the wooded areas are the only exception. It can be very windy, but being flat there isn't much chance of uplift thermals in October, when this clip was supposed to be filmed. Bear with me. That is why the buzzard was seen to be flapping hard to get some height and momentum after getting mobbed by the other indetermined raptor. Also there appeared to be no wind on that particular day.

Like others have said,,,, there seems to be lots of 'greenery' for early autumn.

I've also looked extensively on G maps and can't for the life of me see the buildings [lower left at start of clip] or any buildings similar with the fields and woodland in the background, or even within a square mile or two. Even if the images have been flipped, there is nothing. In fact, there aren't many buildings at all near that particular rspb site.

I know that looking at maps from above isn't the same as viewing from the ground, as in the clip, but,,,, if anyone else can correct me please do 😉

This leads me to think that this is a "fake video" at the least, or filmed elsewhere and 'held on to' as has been pointed out.

Just my thoughts on this dreadful 'event'.

Initially I thought a solar panel array, but how about poly-tunnels or similar?

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Initially I thought a solar panel array, but how about poly-tunnels or similar?

Looks to me like a long gabled roof structure with a smaller one to the left ? Some large detached properties nearby and fields leading to the woods in the background.

The shot came from that hedge line, I'm sure we all agree,,,, but would there not have been visible signs of the actual shot ? Also, as the filmers were so shocked, wouldn't they have been very interested in trying to see who the culprit was ?! All very odd 🤔

Edited by JKD

9 minutes ago, JKD said:

Looks to me like a long gabled roof structure with a smaller one to the left ? Some large detached properties nearby and fields leading to the woods in the background.

The shot came from that hedge line, I'm sure we all agree,,,, but would there not have been visible signs of the actual shot ? Also, as the filmers were so shocked, wouldn't they have been very interested in trying to see who the culprit was ?! All very odd 🤔

Agree. The perspective changes when you scroll left - which I didn't do far enough. I can't match it on Google either. Pity we don't have anyone really local.

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Are there any representatives from the shooting organisations following this?  Speak up and tell us if any action is being discussed (irony intended).  The matter really does need investigating further.  There are so many questions to be answered.

@Conor O'Gorman maybe something you can comment on or at least pass to someone in your Org to look into. If illegaly shot then push to find and prosecute the culprit, if not put the RSPB on the spot and put egg all over their faces. 

Edited by ShootingEgg
Fat thumb

8 minutes ago, JKD said:

Good shout 👍

Surely they would of seen this but some form of response would be good but not a generic off the shelf 'we condemn this sort of behaviour'. As has been said google maps doesn't seem to put this where it was supposedly taken and the time of year in the video also is in dispute. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

4 hours ago, southeastpete said:

You’ve never heard of rough shooting?

Rough shooters dont shoot buzzards and would be easily identlfied. The first thing they would do surely is get the police to check out who had permission on land near by.

The thing that concerns me is that I dont see why they were filming it in the first place. The bird was miles away and they just happen to be filming when it got shot? what are the chances?

Or did the bird just drop on a prey and they dubbed the sound of the shot on afterwards? I film a lot of shooting on my phone and on my camera, the shots don't record like that. The phone clips the sound down to a funny sort of dull thud because it has a sound limiter..  Not even close up shots and that shot was a long way away.

I call that as an edited on shot, listen again and see what you think 

Edited by Vince Green