A new way of sowing

Mightymariner

I have some land I can shoot on and they have broadcast seed and cultivated it in, as opposed to drilling. As you can see from the image, this leaves quite a lot of seed on top. The land is currently very wet and it looks unlikely they will get any more done. There were a few pigeons about but as it was so wet I suspect they were struggling to get on it. It might be good if it dries up.

thumbnail_IMG_1580.jpg

Ditto and yes way back in the 50s we had two fields that where a nightmare in wet weather, heavy clay and my grandfather would use a fiddle and put the grain on and then harrow in with a horse drawn harrow (less impact on the soil). A tone to the acre was pretty good off those fields.  Would make a modern corn grower weep these days, although my friend in Western Australia would be happy with that.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Ditto and yes way back in the 50s we had two fields that where a nightmare in wet weather, heavy clay and my grandfather would use a fiddle and put the grain on and then harrow in with a horse drawn harrow (less impact on the soil). A tone to the acre was pretty good off those fields.  Would make a modern corn grower weep these days, although my friend in Western Australia would be happy with that.

Done exactly this putting cover crop on hillside too steep for tractor.