Do you worry about the youth of today?

AVB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter left school and did a year in a aids orphanage in Johannesburg , It was a ****hole i was terrified for her when i saw the photos . But she left a little girl and came back a woman , Then when she went to Univeristy she was a year older than her room mates and she laid down the rules in the halls LOL . Second year we rented a six bedroom house she filled it with her friends and it was her job to get the rent from them pay us back and deal with the running problems of the house  . Shes coming up for 30 now a manager and still great friends with her roommates and still problem solving for them LOL 

My favorite at work  is wee jimmy's mum phones up on week two ive no heard from jimmy over the weekend can somebody check on him ?. And we go and find now hes been let off the lead hes discovered drink and woman and mums out the window LOL 

14 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Working in a large University the youth of today scare the **** out of me 

I usually find theirs two types first type mums lets them do a bit and there socialized 

The other lot mums done everything for them first week at university they cut there finger opening a can and want a ambulance to take them to hospital 

I was in an A&E waiting room a few years ago. There was a group of 4 uni students there because one of them felt a little dizzy at home, they FaceTimed their mates laughing about being in A&E while a poor bloke was doubled over with back pain and others bandaged up. Then to top it all off they ordered a pizza to the A&E waiting room! I must admit I wouldn’t of minded a slice.

Some are not so daft we get any medical issues we get them to call NHS24 then we get a contract taxi to take them to and from hospital at the uni's expense they can take Friend , Its not unusual for the same ones to get dropped off in town next to a club several friday nights on the trot

Or the latest if they get drunk in town and lose there bag wallet purse ets a street warden will call us and we send a contract taxi to bring them back to uni , Then the taxi draws up and four students pile out of it LOL 

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Or the latest if they get drunk in town and lose there bag wallet purse ets a street warden will call us and we send a contract taxi to bring them back to uni , Then the taxi draws up and four students pile out of it LOL 

I like that one, obviously just thinking of the environment 😅😅

On 17/11/2020 at 14:56, AVB said:

My son, 16, is a bright lad. 10 A/A* GCSE’s, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics at A Level. He went to the fridge the other day and got the milk out. Next thing I hear him say is “how do you open the carton”. It had a screw cap on it which he had managed to remove but then it also had one of those plastic ‘ring pulls’ on it which he had never seen before. He stood staring at it not having a clue. Now I am nowhere as bright as him but at his age I am sure I could open a carton, change a plug, understand the workings of a two stroke/four stroke engine, light a fire, use an electric drill etc. I don’t think my father taught me these things as he was pretty ‘hands off’ so I must have learnt it at school. 

Did you manage to figure it out between the two of you or did you wait until the wife got home?😁

On a serious note it is worrying, I see it all the time at work, total lack of common sense or ability, interest or desire to look at something and work it out before just asking someone else what or how to do something.

On the plus side some of the events are so bad they are funny which does brighten the day.

I do worry about my kids - for me it has always been the thing that Kids learn more than their parents. The old one about the kids knowing how to program the VHS recorder etc....

My kids, considering they spend a large part of the life on line on a PC have absolutely jack knowledge about a PC - I have built them and tried to get them involved but no. Although they do know about youtube (one is a youtuber and it is all about stats, views, subscribers....) and the other does on-line Sim Racing but relies on me to be his pit crew 😞

A couple of years ago, I was sat in the Day room at my local hospital waiting for some minor surgery. The day room was supposed to be for patients only but opposite me were 3 teenagers laughing and joking and phoning their mates and were regularly told to behave by nursing staff.

We got talking and I asked what operation they having, turned out the lad had shot himself in the palm with a BB gun to see what would happen!!!

Well, he found out the hard way and was booked in to have the pellet removed under local anaesthetic and being a hero he had brought his mates for a day out at the hospital.

I was called before him for my surgery and later as I was being  discharged, the lad was being wheeled out on a stretcher bawling and shouting. I asked the nurse what was happening and it turned out our hero made such a fuss as Doctor tried to dig the pellet out, that the doctor refused to proceed and the lad was being sent for further surgery under general anaesthetic! 

That will learn him!

Theres a call last night a student having a panic attack and 2 of us attend  she says shes got chest pains tingling in her right arm then i get her to lay down on the bed as she more comfortable and if she collapses shes not going to fall , Still moaning about her right arm tingling she rubs her left arm , No option but to get a ambulance and she gets checked over pronounced shes fine .

I go back to do the report and its the 17th time ive dealt with her , Its exam time she gets a medical certificate she passes her exams , She will never graduate with honours but she will pass everything due to medical issues 

The OP wrote his son has 10 x top scores but got a D from his dad on the subject of milk opening; but who opened the milk?

If the son did it himself he should turn out a good hands on member of staff for someone or go self-employed, if he made a scene and someone did it for him I would suggest he should go into senior management

46 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Indeed we were all "today's" youth once, how i hated the judgemental  oldies in the saloon bar..😄

Good point my school teachers, parents and grandparents were going on at my school year as to how much TV we watched compared to their generation, who only had a wireless!!🤣, ....their parents told them they probably spent too much time listening to the radio!!🤔

1 hour ago, Shearwater said:

The OP wrote his son has 10 x top scores but got a D from his dad on the subject of milk opening; but who opened the milk?

If the son did it himself he should turn out a good hands on member of staff for someone or go self-employed, if he made a scene and someone did it for him I would suggest he should go into senior management

Ha ha. After being completely astounded at the fact he didn’t know how to do it I showed him how to do it. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I don’t understand why today’s youth have been singled out in this way; are they really any different to the youths of yesterday? 

Not at all.

Its like when people who never served a day in uniform bemoan how the kids today would hide under the sofa if it were 1939.  They did it whilst the same youth were under fire in Basrah and Helmand.

3 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Not at all.

Its like when people who never served a day in uniform bemoan how the kids today would hide under the sofa if it were 1939.  They did it whilst the same youth were under fire in Basrah and Helmand.

Exactly. Today’s youth are our next servicemen and women, our next firefighters, paramedics, doctors and nurses. 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Indeed we were all "today's" youth once, how i hated the judgemental  oldies in the saloon bar..😄

Yep, been there too. 🙂

Fair points all round, academically, (as it stands) my children could well be the future engineers, accountants, teachers, etc however they are a very very stagnant in relation to their face to face interaction, and as to how much informal exercise they do, i.e. walk to the shop, kick a ball against the garage that is miniscule, they would rather spend every spare minute of their leisure time in front of a screen. 

28 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Not at all.

100% accurate. I have spent my whole working life in the military and a huge amount of time in both of those places. The youngsters who were deployed just got on with the job at hand. My son has followed his father into the military and weeks before his wedding he/we tragically lost his sister. We just endured and again got on with the job at hand, his wedding. I’m at the very end of my career and occasionally we do get a idiot through the door but the vast majority are as good, if not better than when I joined up in 1990.

Edited by Taileron

Lots of book smarts and no street smarts.

I've know people who are very intelligent but have no practice skills and can't understand how mechanical things work. Some with no social skills too. Having both sets of skills seems to be getting rarer.

My nephew has no clue how things work and can't work them out.

Just the way they're brains are wired.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Lots of book smarts and no street smarts.

I've know people who are very intelligent but have no practice skills and can't understand how mechanical things work. Some with no social skills too. Having both sets of skills seems to be getting rarer.

My nephew has no clue how things work and can't work them out.

Just the way they're brains are wired.

Book smarts and no common sense reminds me of when I was at school. The deputy heads daughter was head gel, straight a’s. When she turned 17 her parents bought her a brand new ford KA when they had just come out. She was cleaning it and couldn’t get flies off the bonnet, so went at it with a Brillo pad or similar, leaving lots of nice big circles in the paint work!

59 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Brains and a good work ethic, she will go far. Easy to make mistakes and learn from them. 

She’s a teacher at the same school now.

it is easy to make mistakes and learn from them, it was quite funny though at the time, probably the most intelligent person in our year making such a mistake.

As with many comments above though, if you’ve never done anything practical, or been shown, how would you know any different. The same I suppose as and accountant looking at me and thinking you may be able to make things etc but how can you not understand tax forms etc