Fishermen

fern01

12 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Corrected me on both etymology and also the fact that so many children are born out of wedlock these days 🤣

I was just joshing......I’d googled the meaning of the term midwife earlier today, otherwise I wouldn’t have been any the wiser. 😀

All my kids were born out of wedlock, and none planned! 😳🙂

Edited by Scully

I heard it on the radio a few years ago. It was an interview with a male midwife in training, he was complaining about how many women don’t want a male midwife 🙈 (shock)

The presenter asked him if he thought the name was a problem, he said no and explained its history/meaning. I think the main issue is one of physiology. My hands are comparatively huge with monkey fingers, any woman with sense would ask for an alternative. 

8 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Midwife = with wife 

Until ‘husbands’ start giving birth the term requires no gender review. However that is probably only a few years away at current trends. 

I get this ( with woman),

but also, huMANs are also known as MANkind.

so fisherMAN or fireMAN could surely just refer to a member of MANkind that deals with fires or fish?

In fact if you look up fisherman, it’s just defined as one who fishes, or any person who fishes. Not a man who fishes.

Edited by southeastpete