Pick up or 4x4

Blakloks

I’ve got a conundrum I use my vehicle for work (currently as disco 2) for driving around town doing repairs inspections for a social landlord and do anything between 8-20 miles stop start looking at jobs but I need to change I’ve been looking at a Freelander 2 dynamic but also a dmax purely for the fact I’m sick of the wet dog smell in the winter and the bit I’m beating at this year is a muddy mess. I feel I owe myself a decent motor after driving around heaps for years but can’t decide what’s best 

I know a few people with the Isuzu and they seem happy with them ,most of them are nearly new or under 5 years also got plenty of get up and go and towing power ,I have driven these myself with a trailer and pulls well , hope this helps but you can also people say something else is better, and also when moving combine shortish distance recorded on computer mpg 25__27  not bad.

Used to have a D2, bought an L200.  Drove bangers for years.  What an improvement

The ability to have a properly separate load area makes a massive difference, for the type of use we put them to.

I wouldn't want to go back, and certainly not to something which doesn't have a proper 4x4 system (haldex coupling on a Freelander being exactly what I'd avoid).

A few words of warning though

1) the fuel efficiency is unlikely to be much of an improvement on your D2, so don't buy it thinking you'll save much money on fuel (thread on here in the last week or so about that).

2) The box on the back of a pickup is great for containing dogs+tools+ materials, but if you want to take, say a couple of lengths of CLS or some copper tube to the job, you'll need a roof rack.  With the disco these could be accommodated, albeit diagonally at the expense of a front seat passenger.

3) Some councils are 'funny' about letting you into their tips, even if the vehicle is for private use.

My local council give 6 permits a year for a pickup,  no trailers allowed on the back neither.  

The Haldex system on fl2s are fine if they're used and looked after. Most people don't change the fluid in them on time and wonder why they break, common sense really. It was originally developed for and used on the Audi Quattro rally cars very successfully. 

34 minutes ago, London Best said:

May I ask why you need a permit from the council to have a pick-up?

Commercial vehicle. Ours lets you have 12 visits a year.  Personally I find a pickup perfect for commuting and leisure use. The new ones are great to drive reasonably economical and the dogs stay in the back! 

On 18/11/2020 at 12:44, Morkin said:

I know a few people with the Isuzu and they seem happy with them ,most of them are nearly new or under 5 years also got plenty of get up and go and towing power ,I have driven these myself with a trailer and pulls well , hope this helps but you can also people say something else is better, and also when moving combine shortish distance recorded on computer mpg 25__27  not bad.

I’m on my third D-max, great vehicles., change them at 90000 miles. Current one has Pedlar lift suspension which is a worthwhile improvement. Mine have all been autos and generally return a steady 31 mpg. Less off road in low range, but they are really capable off road in the rough stuff.

Edited by Fisheruk

Ah! You mean for visiting their recycling centre (tip). 
Thirty odd years ago I was once refused access to a council tip in a Land Rover. It was a hard top vehicle and jobsworth said it was a van. I went to the council offices and managed to convince his boss that legally it was not a van but a dual purpose vehicle.

10 minutes ago, al4x said:

Commercial vehicle. Ours lets you have 12 visits a year.  Personally I find a pickup perfect for commuting and leisure use. The new ones are great to drive reasonably economical and the dogs stay in the back! 

I would agree they are a handy tool to have but must disagree about them being great to drive and the economy. Two friends both have Hilux Invincibles and both complain about the fuel consumption of 24 mpg, (both drive as if driving Miss Daisy), and personally I find them a bit like I imagine it would be to drive a laden oil tanker.

Edited by London Best