PCP virgin

Graham M

OK, I have been shooting all sorts of firearms since 1971 including pistols and CF semi-auto rifles, BUT!!!!................. I have never owned a PCP.

Couple of weeks ago I was given a AA s200Mk1. Had to send off for a female connector to fill from a pump, but when I finished filling and disconnected the hose I could hear a hissing as the air was escaping from the front valve. The valve is like this one.

Air Arms OLD STYLE Male Filling Adapter/Charging Connector - FP12 inc dowty  - Bagnall and Kirkwood Airgun Spares

I took it off the front of the cylinder, but is this the whole problem, or is there another valve in the front of the air cylinder.

The filling adaptor is this one

Air Arms OLD STYLE Female Filling Adapter / Charging Connector - FP4 -  Bagnall and Kirkwood Airgun Spares

Edited by Graham M

I have an even older model, AA SM100, the fittings are exactly the same as yours, its more than likely leaking from the filling valve on the air cylinder, the small rubber O-ring can get damaged from heat when filling with air, simple to take apart and fit a new O-ring.

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

I have an even older model, AA SM100, the fittings are exactly the same as yours, its more than likely leaking from the filling valve on the air cylinder, the small rubber O-ring can get damaged from heat when filling with air, simple to take apart and fit a new O-ring.

If you're having problems with heat when charging - usually down to charging too fast - you could try swapping the standard (nitrile) 'o' ring for the viton version.

I still have my mk1 - you lucky man being given one

you may have fixed it - crossed fingers

you can slowly remove the cylinder from a mk1 with no detrimental effect - just make sure you are decocked first. 

now refill the cylinder - I would suggest no more than 180 bar (max recommended is 190) as I get the best 30 shots from 180 down 

after filling quickly pop the cylinder in a water butt or equivalent to see if you have any leaks.

If air is leaking then you will have to make a choice between attempting to fix it yourself (trust me a 3ft lump of scaffold tube will be your friend - see you tube vids first - it is a challenge), sending it off to someone experienced with all the gear (40 or 50 quid well spent) or a new cylinder at 130 ish

It is a great lightweight and very accurate piece of kit. Mine has accounted for thousands of ferals in packhouses and rats in barns. Mine does about 11.2 and likes accupells

best of luck

I actually have two cylinders and the one seems OK so not desperate. The air is escaping through that nipple at the front of the connector. Was easy to remove from the gun once I had taken the moderator off.

I am a poor old duffer now so I took my time pumping and pumped around 20 pumps and then leaving everything to cool. I bought a Hill pump with the moisture remover fitted Mk5?? Which does seem to fill quickly.

This is the cylinder (the old style though) I am going to chuck some bar-stock in the lathe and bore out a removal tool but really need to know what's inside the end of that brass cylinder nut.

Air Arms S200 Cylinder Outlet Valve, Filler Nut

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

That image is of a new style fill adaptor - your top picture is the original fill system

s200 exploded diagrams here https://www.airgunspares.com/gunspares/airgun-spares/air-arms-air-rifle-models/s200.html

Yes I know. I worded it wrong. I meant I had the older version but wanted to show the brass valve that fits into the cylinder.

This is the part I am wondering about. https://www.airgunspares.com/cz0852airarmss200fillvalvebody.html

Is it a valve or just a straight through tube with no internals. If so can I just buy a replacement one of these

Air Arms OLD STYLE Male Filling Adapter/Charging Connector - FP12 inc dowty  - Bagnall and Kirkwood Airgun Spares

After 7 years use I had to replace the same filler valve, with the same fault as yours, in my S200 a couple of months ago.

In hindsight I should have replaced it with the T bar version which is easier to use.

Best fittings have all these parts at a reasonable price and are a pleasant company to deal with.

Just used Best Fitting for the connection filler valve(the one that fits to the pump) and although they had the part, the delivery was very slow. Ordered on the 7th November and it arrived on 18th. They reckoned they posted it on 9th using Royal Mail 48 (2-3 days delivery) Ordered a small spring from Chambers, the one that fits on the top of the bolt, and a new metal bolt handle from Rowan Engineering on 9th and they both arrived on 13th so I'm not convinced that BF sent it out straight away.

Even with this Covid19 I have been getting stuff delivered within 4-5 days from everywhere else, so using that as their excuse was a bit annoying. 

I did look at the T bar but then I would have had to order another connection for the pump. As I have two air cylinders one of them would have been the old style and one would have been the new style.......and then I would have had to change the fitting on the pump every time I needed to charge the tanks. So I thought I'd just go for what was already there; still trying to learn about the gun, so taking it slowly. 

I've been reading about some owners replacing this gun's stock (just found out it's actually a Mk2 with the barrel support) with a Mk3 stock and then floating the barrel by cutting off the top of the barrel support. As a smallbore prone target shooter this makes a lot of sense, but I don't want to got to all the time a trouble, let alone expense, to try something that isn't feasible.

Any thoughts???