Beretta 28 bore Silver Pigeon help

Goldfish

I have a 20 bore silver pigeon and am tinkering with the idea of getting the same in 28 bore.

My local gun shop have spoken to GMK who have confirmed the SP 28b is on a smaller action(a 28b/.410 action) to the 20b gun but can't confirm the weight.

Anyone out there with a 28" or 30" small actioned 28b silver pigeon want to weigh it for me?😁

I say small actioned as I know some of the older guns were built on 20b actions and weighed virtually the same as the 20b.

Also anyone believed there is a distinct advantage with 30" over 28"?

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

I have a 20 bore silver pigeon and am tinkering with the idea of getting the same in 28 bore.

My local gun shop have spoken to GMK who have confirmed the SP 28b is on a smaller action(a 28b/.410 action) to the 20b gun but can't confirm the weight.

Anyone out there with a 28" or 30" small actioned 28b silver pigeon want to weigh it for me?😁

I say small actioned as I know some of the older guns were built on 20b actions and weighed virtually the same as the 20b.

Also anyone believed there is a distinct advantage with 30" over 28"?

Cheers

It will be lighter.

Only you can judge if two inches of barrel makes the gun balance better in your hands.

I've had a 28bore it was fun, but if I want to shoot more a 12 is much better.

I looked a 20 bore yet it can't do anything a light 12 cant. Carts for a 12 much cheaper. 

Now a .410 as a little walk up knock about gun for squirrels and the odd rabbit or crow, I can see the point of as a pocket of 25 carts don't take up much room.

Nice silenced pump action.410 has some uses.

But the other sub gauges I don't see the point for most shooting, unless you really like that particular gun.

Only time I can think sub gauges are good is with TSS18 on wildfowl due to cost and weight of shot.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, Goldfish said:

I don’t own a .410 so was thinking a 28b would weigh the same but be able to shoot .410 loads up to 24gram(my upper limit) so would be more versatile 

The last Berreta Silver pigeon 28 bore (small guage action) I handled weighed in a shade over 5 1/2lb with 28 inch  barrels.

Positives: - Better pattern than 410 for same loading and in larger loading can stretch to 40 yards (rather than 35 yards of 410)

Negatives, 28 bore cartridges are rarer in gunshops than 410 and 1/2 pound heavier gun

Bearing in mind you have a 20b which can shoot from an easy 21g to a comfortable 24/25g to an uncomfortable 34g, and shoots No 7, No 6.5 and No 6 (or even no5.5)  respectively (best shot sizes to maximise pattern and range on pheasant/partridge for each load size - i.e. 21g No 7, 24/25g No 6.5, or 34g No 6 or No 5.5)

a 28b is 16g to 21g to 28g, with No 7.5, No 7 and No 6.5 respectively so there is a lot of overlap, for a gun 1/2lb to 1lb lighter than your 20b

A 410 is 9g (2inch) to 14g (2 1/2 inch) to 16- 19g (3 Inch) and comes in at 5lb. and shoots No 9 or No8 and , No7.5 or No 7 respectively

If you had a 12b (instead of a 20b), the 28b would complement it quite well, with not a great overlap in useage and in your mind it would be clear the reasons you are lifting which gun, however as you already own a 20b, due to their similararities/overlap which do you lift?

Stonepark, you make absolute sense and I shall settle on the 20b which I love shooting rather than dabble with the idea of a 28b which to be honest for my use I may feel under gunned and it could become a cabinet queen.

cheers figgy

Edited by Goldfish

11 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

Stonepark, you make absolute sense and I shall settle on the 20b which I love shooting rather than dabble with the idea of a 28b which to be honest for my use I may feel under gunned and it could become a cabinet queen.

cheers figgy

I bought the 28 and love it, magical little gun, just do it

17 hours ago, figgy said:

I think 30" barrels are nice on a 28 bore.

What is a 28bore going to do your 20 won't? 

I shot a 30” sp 28 bore for lots of my game for quite a while.  
They are a nice gun and pleasure to shoot. 

In answer to Figgy in reality the only thing the 28 bore will do that the 20 won’t is shoot loads lighter than 21g.  

I predict a big surge in smaller gauge's, 410 even but 28 bore especially, with the use of TSS shot on wildfowl. It is absolutely devestating on fowl, the energy of even tiny (size 7-9 shot) is being used to drop geese at ranges steel shot could not. 

One of the lads in the wildfowl club is using a 28 bore OU to great effect, sometimes dropping several ducks or 2-3 geese for 1 shot 😮 He is using a 28 bore UO as TSS shot doesn't need massive loads and is expensive. He said about £2 a shot. Not good if you miss. 

A 20 bore is the best size for TSS18 shot, can drop a 38bore wad in a 20wad or Packers to cut down on amount of shot in the load. The 20 can also shoot decent steel carts too if you want to save money over splashes or decoys.

I've looked into it, but our marsh isn't performing lately after major earthworks nearby for last couple of years.