Kidney stone.

steve_b_wales

After having two urine tests coming back with traces of blood in them, yesterday morning, I had a severe pain in my side. A quick telephone consultation with my GP,  and she suggested that I probably have a kidney stone/s. I went straight down to A&E and within 20 minutes, was seen to by one of the nurses. I was given 2 Paracetamol, 2 painkiller suppositories, but they failed to work within a given time. So, I was then given morphine, and that stopped all pain. After having a CT scan, it revealed that I have a 6mm stone in my kidney, on top of the infection. After having a few more 'top up's, and spending all night waiting for the Urologist doctor to come a speak to me (he never showed up) I spent the night between sitting on a chair in a corridor and managing a few hours in a spare cubicle. I'm not knocking the NHS by any means, they were brilliant and were running around throughout the night. This morning, I saw the Urologist who examined me and said that there was no need to stay in hospital. I've been given a course of antibiotics, and 50mg Voltarol suppositories. I was told that I 'will' pass the stone naturally, but at 6mm, it will be like trying to push a golf ball through a straw. I'm not looking forward to it, and would have been quite happy having an operation to remove it. According to the doctor, this is only done with stones, 7mm or more. I had some pain starting in my left kidney earlier, but the Voltarol seems to have kept it at bay.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Never had kidney stones s but have had the displeasure of camera check of the bladder to investigate blood in urine. 6mm is doable for that bit.

I think my dad had his ultrasounded to break them up to enable them to be passed but he said it was still like passing 80 grit sand paper.

good luck 

regards Agriv8 

You will pass it just and you will know when its on way out 

Iv had two ops and still got them in both sides 

If I was you ask for carat spell it lithotripsey it a bit like touching a electric fence bit uncomfortable but its a lot better than it getting stuck on the way out because if it dose believe me you and the next country will here you

Good look

I ended up in a+e earlier in the year in the middles of the night for a suspected appendicitis, which then went to suspected kidney stones, which frightened me more.

Didn't get home from the hospital till gone 7 the next morning, they then rung me just before 9 to say they had a space free for a scan did I want it. 

Took it and luckily enough it wasn't kidney stones, although still concerning because they had no idea what caused the pain.

Best of luck with it all 👍

I thought i had the same sent me for the scan to be told you've got a growth on your kidney , the doctor will get the results in 7/10 days , They phoned whilst i was at work and told the wife the results where fine , When she said what about the growth they said we will phone back . When they called back they said he has a cyst on the kidney fine unless it bursts 

Still sore as hell going to pee every 20 minutes really really dark  but just glad its not something else 

I feel for you mate, you're going to find out how a .22 barrel feels getting scrubbed out.

My wife was hospitalized twice while pregnant with our daughter with kidney stones that migrated into the urinary pipes to the bladder, nurse said they could be as small as a grain of sand and still cause agony!

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Never had kidney stones s but have had the displeasure of camera check of the bladder to investigate blood in urine. 6mm is doable for that bit.

I think my dad had his ultrasounded to break them up to enable them to be passed but he said it was still like passing 80 grit sand paper.

good luck 

regards Agriv8 

I've had the camera up the urethra a couple of times. It wasn't the camera I found painful it was the camera crew that went with it. My urologist always insists of giving me a copy of the pictures for some reason as if I am going to get them framed.   

1 hour ago, AVB said:

I've had the camera up the urethra a couple of times. It wasn't the camera I found painful it was the camera crew that went with it. My urologist always insists of giving me a copy of the pictures for some reason as if I am going to get them framed.   

AVB - wasn’t offered any Polaroids but when the C word was mentioned a bit of discomfort to catch it early can be endured ! I have a inflamed prostate that’s pushing the bladder up and raised some of the blood vessels around the valve that. Let’s the wee out

Most uncomfortable bit was sitting there with a full bladder then the urologist saying this is going to hurt as he pushed camera through my enflamed prostate ! 

Medical advice- keep hydrated ensure I drink a pint of water every morning. Currently up a couple of time a night needing a pee but I can cope with that. So far no more blood in nearly a year and a bit. 

Good luck ! Passing them

Been hospitalised twice with them, i discovered that tramadol makes me spew like the exorcist girl, and being one of the small percent inn the country that morphine does nothing for pain i tried a selection of other pain killing drugs which was very interesting, i was glad that the first passed after a week, the second time i had ultra sound to break it up, that was like being kicked in the side by a large rugby player, it did break it up, but i didn't pass them until a week after.
Drink loads of water, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed by the kidney is comforting.

Good luck.

I had one blasted in November last year was relatively painless procedure just like being pinged with a laccy band.

A little bit funny when first pee afterwards (blood) but soon cleared up. Was told to pee into a container (bought a white baby bucket) as they wanted me to collect the larger pieces I passed . Mine was a 8-9mm stone . Thankfully only took one dose of ultrasonic blasting (lithotripsy) .

But the pain before diagnosis was unbearable. 

A couple of years ago I woke up feeling a bit funny @2am - got up thinking it was something was going to happen from one end or the other to 15 minutes later screaming down the house. My eldest was stood at the top of the stairs shaking because he thought I was being murdered. Wife was totally unaware as she sleeps through anything (including an 8.9 earthquake in California circa 1992!!!) My lad woke her and she came down. An ambulance was called as I was concerned that the pain was going to bring on a coronary. On the phone they said to give me an aspirin and within a minute I just felt the pain wash down my body and go. Turns out it was a gall stone that must of passed at that point. I felt really embarrassed when the ambulance turned up

Touch wood I haven't had any incidents since but I have had a scan and it shows them,  although I did have something that I thought was it flaring up again but it turned out it was a change in diet that affected my digestion (not producing acids) and was causing extreme discomfort that ant-acids couldn't touch - turned out I was actually making it worst taking them. Once I realised this and took some apple cider vinegar for the symptoms to go within a few hours. I am on the list but will only have it out if there are more occurrences.

The wife is peeved off though because she can't use the argument of the pain of giving birth anymore!!! Got to take your wins where you can :D

Awful things- I had my first at 20 (about 10 years back) floored me and ended up having it removed there and then as emergency as blocking bladder. About 4 years ago I had one broken up with ultrasound and passed it, though actually ended up in A+E as it got stuck.. about 6 months ago it flared up and I was very uncomfy again, tried ultrasound but it wont break up (8mm stone stuck just above my bladder) so this Sunday its back in to have it out- its not keyhole surgery, its the up and grab it and pull it out approach... fortunately a general anaesthetic. Hope you get yours sorted!

Anyone who has had kidney stones will sympathise, passing them (or when they move) is extremely painful.
I am a habitual sufferer since my 30's.
I have passed in excess of 30 stones/shrapnel and have had 10 operations to remove them from my kidney, or bladder (no scars, its via the eye of the needle 😝 ) and 1 key hole surgery to remove one as big as a small chicken egg.
Although I have stones in both kidneys, the problems always come from the right one, apparently this is not unusual.
I attended Kings College during my 40's for research purposes, but I never heard if anything came of the tests.

Despite never having taken any illegal substances, I have the notation on my NHS records, "habitual stoner". 🙂

My wife has twice had treatment to break up stones, and two operations. I believe they can be of different make up , she was told not to eat rhubarb or spinach.

I about 30 plus years ago was awoke with severe pain, unable to keep still and pacing up and down, vomiting green and yellow bile.

Was told it was a kidney stone, but on ultrasound was not found. They reckoned I must have passed it without seeing it.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Last night, while I was having a pee, it felt strange and I had a very slight bit of discomfort. I didn't think anything of it. I had another pee before retiring to bed, and all of a sudden I felt something 'push out'. The kidney stone was there in the toilet pan! I managed to retrieve it and I'm amazed by it. It doesn't appear to be 6mm as I was told, so maybe part of it broke up and I passed it unknowingly. All this time I thought it had gone! It's taken since Nov 18th last year until now to work it's way down the 'tube'.