Electric car running costs

AVB

My Tesla is just over three years old and thought it appropriate to calculate what it has cost to run in that time. When I got it I was also considering a Range Rover so I have made an estimate of what that would have cost to run over the same period. At the time they were a similar price to purchase. The amount of electricity used is accurate as the car tells me that I have used 12,885 KWh and covered 30,885 miles. Most of that has been on relatively short runs. For a comparison I have estimated that the RR would have got 28mpg. For the cost of electricity I used 12p per kWh which seems to be a good average over the past three years looking at my bills. For Diesel I used £1.18 per litre.  The car electric costs are overstated as I get free vend from the Tesla Superchargers which I have used on long runs, but for ease of comparison I have ignored this. Adding in the cost of Vehicle Excise Duty, servicing, tyres etc. the Tesla comes in at £3,756 and the Range Rover at £12,182, a saving of £8,426 over three years two months.  

I appreciate that things will change as various schemes are implemented to recoup the cost that the Government are losing but it gives a snapshot at this point in time.  

Tesla Range Rover   
VED Year 1     £220.00   £2,175.00   
VED Year 2    £220.00   £475.00   
VED Year 3    £220.00   £475.00   
VED Year 4    £-     £475.00   

Elec/Fuel         
12886 0.12  £1,546.32    12,885KWh @12p per KWh
30885 1.18    £6,507.91  28 mpg @£1.18 per litre

Servicing     £400.00   £1,235.00   
MOT    £40.00   £40.00   
Tyres    £1,010.00   £800.00   

Home charge point     £100.00   £-     

Total     £3,756.32   £12,182.91   

£8,426.59   

Feel free to pick the numbers apart or suggest things that I have missed. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

My case was that everyone needs a Defender. 

I once went out expecting a Muntjac and put a Red stag in my wife’s small Audi! 
Wife not impressed.

I couldn't get into the Defender once as the doors were frozen shut. I was in a hurry so took the wife's Discovery only to gouge the side of it on a branch. Wife also not impressed. 

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

My case was that everyone needs a Defender. 

I once went out expecting a Muntjac and put a Red stag in my wife’s small Audi! 
Wife not impressed.

I would like to DEFEND that :yahoo:

I drive a 12yr old Jag X type AWD Estate and use it to drive to and from my driven days shooting but for serious shooting then I take my 31 yr old Defender. Show me one of these artsy fartsy modern 4x4s or electric motors in 31 yrs time and who is going to pay for the disposal of all those batteries ??

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I would like to DEFEND that :yahoo:

I drive a 12yr old Jag X type AWD Estate and use it to drive to and from my driven days shooting but for serious shooting then I take my 31 yr old Defender. Show me one of these artsy fartsy modern 4x4s or electric motors in 31 yrs time and who is going to pay for the disposal of all those batteries ??

I was reading an article about the bringing forward of the ban on sale of new petrol and diesel motors earlier.

Very short sighted. I fear we have been pushed way to far down the road of EV's to come back now though.

At 40k + its above my budget, and how many other millions of car drivers in the UK are in the same boat. And what if you dont have access to charging points. 

Running costs or pointless to allot if they are not practical vehicles. 

They want to reduce pollution by adding a DPF to diesel motors but to burn it off it needs more fuel to do it is it just me that thinks thats bottom about face. I know its not relevant to this topic but thought i would just chuck it in. 

I would have an Electric vehicle if I could afford one, far too much money at the present time IMO. I bought Mrs Taileron a Dacia Sandro as her run around, she crashes every car at some point, it cost 6k new and now has a dented door. My neighbour has just bought an electric mini, 26k new. Approximately the same size, the mini is a much better quality vehicle but 26k it should be. Until an accessible priced electric vehicle is available I think most will be buying a new petrol/diesel car in mid 2029 and seeing what the future holds.

23 minutes ago, B725 said:

How do you charge electric cars if you live on a row of terraced houses and often cannot park near your house never mind trailing cables from the house to the car , there will never be a chargeing points outside each house.

Not to mention all those people that live in high rise blocks. 

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

Figures are looking good. What has been the depreciation?  

About 31% which is I suspect better than a Range Rover. 

48 minutes ago, B725 said:

How do you charge electric cars if you live on a row of terraced houses and often cannot park near your house never mind trailing cables from the house to the car , there will never be a chargeing points outside each house.

They are called lamp posts. Plans are to add charging sockets to them. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

About 31% which is I suspect better than a Range Rover. 

They are called lamp posts. Plans are to add charging sockets to them. 

That is very good. I think with my wifes disco it's been nearer 50%.

In the trials we did for charging infrastructure in London, Oxford and MK it was not possible to use the street lighting for charging without upgrading the system cables. The other concern was who will own this stuff maintain it and provide the power? 

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

That is very good. I think with my wifes disco it's been nearer 50%.

In the trials we did for charging infrastructure in London, Oxford and MK it was not possible to use the street lighting for charging without upgrading the system cables. The other concern was who will own this stuff maintain it and provide the power? 

I thought it had been done in Westminster. Could be mistaken though. I would have thought one of the charging companies like BP Chargemaster would jump at the chance. There is a big captive audience. I might have a word with a few people to see if there is an opportunity to be had. 

Edited to add link to work that Siemens did in Westminster 

https://thedriven.io/2020/03/24/siemens-converts-all-lamp-posts-on-residential-street-to-electric-car-chargers/

Edited by AVB
Added link.