Electric car running costs

AVB

I always buy second hand and they run until they fail their MOT. Have three at the moment.  39yrs, 12yrs and 6yrs and they are all doing the job I expect of them. Certainly expect the little Skoda to do another ten at least.  It is all down to how you wish to spend your pennies. I prefer to spend mine on shooting.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, London Best said:

I was brought up to buy what I could afford. 
You have to have no brains to sign up to having your money spoken for before you receive it yourself. The ‘all fur coat and no knickers brigade’,

Business use is totally different

So you never had a mortgage. Lucky you. 

Im just coming to the end of a business lease on a cheap van, costly i suppose but the pleasure of using a vehicle that is 100% reliable is worth the cost, in the time of lease ive also run 3 other vehicle, one died, one was written off, one will soon go on limited use, next I will probably get the best/newest vehicle i can afford for cash or perhaps hp 

31 minutes ago, AVB said:

So you never had a mortgage. Lucky you. 

A house is generally an appreciating asset, if the payments are too much you can get rid (subject to ERC). People do not seem to count mortgages in their self image of debt. Also small time property mogul staying “I own 12 houses” often translates as “I own a £25,000 stake in 12 different houses that NatWest own”. 

I live on the edge of Exmoor national park, about as rural as it gets, jobs are not particularly well paid, and travelling to work is inevitable. A lot of youngsters buy a car they have saved hard for, sometimes no more than a grand or so, and then have to run it. I really can see problems for the lower paid people, young and old, in the future. I looked on auto trader and the cheapest electric car was £4500 and quite old, with a range of 60 miles quoted. The battery life expectancy of an old car is worrying to say the least. "Transport poverty"? 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I was brought up to buy what I could afford. 
You have to have no brains to sign up to having your money spoken for before you receive it yourself. The ‘all fur coat and no knickers brigade’,

Business use is totally different

Agreed, cars are depreciating assets and a total waste of money. They are impossible to make money on, even the tastier classics - the best you can hope for is your money back and a bit of fun in between.

Regardless of what you think about electric cars the best function that my car has, that I bet you all wish your has, is the ability to make whoopee cushion **** sounds (of differing type and volume) from any of the seats. Utter schoolboy fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article about Tesla and the notion that their stitching maybe coming apart at the seams:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4391923-teslas-achilles-heel

It's a recent article. My belief is there are things that Tesla do very well, but they do seem to struggle with some of the basics. Personally I find the fit and finish of their interiors unacceptable.

46 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Pretty much but they are very good at the software side of things. We've worked out what they are doing and how they do it so now looking to sell the knowledge into all the other OEMs. Tesla will be finished soon.

If they are, you could always go for one of these 2021 models, some of the prices are eye watering, but I see that Dacia is hoping to to sell you one for under £19k...https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/1801/new-electric-cars-2021?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TBNewElectricCars2021Eds&utm_content=dailymail-uk#tblciGiDHf7bqWbd4oO9N7OnHL2-YIU2vm8IbciyLwrwZMlo3YCD9okc