PCP tank price?

Rossco89

Considering moving from under lever to PCP. Reason being it’s doing a fair bit of rat shooting with night vision at the moment.

Have looked at and priced a few rifles, however, what sort of price should I expect to pay for an in test dive bottle for refills? I am better buying from a gun shop or dive shop? 

Dive bottles are ok .but they need filing up and testing every 5 years (thats a gun bottle . Dive bottle is every 2 years ) 

A hand pump can be a much simpler and cheaper option .but i would go for a gun with less than 200 cc of bottle or air tube 

.just makes it a bit easier to refill with a pump .

Buy a brand new 230bar 12 ltr dive bottle ( the most widely used therefore prices are keen) from your nearest 5star PADI dive centre ( their compressor filters have to be spot on thus have next to no moisture in their system ) , just google who they are.

Never get it filled from anywhere but them and always leave your bottle for a slow ( 230+fill ( if it reads 235 when cold its a good fill)) .

Never be impatient by waiting as it heats up when filled quickly and gives you a false 'full' fill) and keep it in a warm dry place and the chances of it failing a test in the future is tiny.

There are different ways of skinning a rabbit but above is pretty solid advice pal

You'll need a dedicated fill valve on any bottle you buy specifically for filling air rifles. Bottles for diving have a different valve. Most pcp's are upwards of a 200bar fill without getting into sweet spots. Therefore, a bottle with a 232 fill pressure won't have as many fills as you might think. A 300bar is preferable. Of course, the bigger the bottle, the more fills your rifle will get. The other pain, is going back and forth to the dive shop, and the testing that is required. All straightforward, but if you are a bit away from a dive shop, its a pain. They've all gone from round me now, and the nearest is 30 miles away.

So I bought one of the Chinese compressors from Amazon. Absolutely brilliant! Just looked, and they are £199. About £20 cheaper on that auction site. Pop PCP compressor into the search. I know its a huge chunk of money, but a bottle will cost more unless you're going to go for a small one. Then no one wants to buy them if they are out of test. Nothing worse than having to count your fills, and going for a fill for a good shoot session only to find your cylinder hasn't enough left in it.

Hope this helps.

On 19/11/2020 at 10:20, turbo33 said:

You'll need a dedicated fill valve on any bottle you buy specifically for filling air rifles. Bottles for diving have a different valve. Most pcp's are upwards of a 200bar fill without getting into sweet spots. Therefore, a bottle with a 232 fill pressure won't have as many fills as you might think. A 300bar is preferable. Of course, the bigger the bottle, the more fills your rifle will get. The other pain, is going back and forth to the dive shop, and the testing that is required. All straightforward, but if you are a bit away from a dive shop, its a pain. They've all gone from round me now, and the nearest is 30 miles away.

So I bought one of the Chinese compressors from Amazon. Absolutely brilliant! Just looked, and they are £199. About £20 cheaper on that auction site. Pop PCP compressor into the search. I know its a huge chunk of money, but a bottle will cost more unless you're going to go for a small one. Then no one wants to buy them if they are out of test. Nothing worse than having to count your fills, and going for a fill for a good shoot session only to find your cylinder hasn't enough left in it.

Hope this helps.

Never heard of these but sounds a great idea

On 19/11/2020 at 10:20, turbo33 said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this. The simplicity of my under lever is shining through. I’ll do some pricing and see what I think. 

The cheap compressors are ok for filling your own gun but make sure to buy extra moisture traps.

Used 3L cylinders, in test, sell for about £100-120. 12L around £180-200. In between sizes reflected by price.

Pumps are ok to top up but make sure you don't let it get too low before topping up.

Refilling bottles isn't usually too difficult. Lots of shops have compressors or know someone that does and they will arrange your fill. Some people ask local fire stations as they have compressors for their breathing apparatus.

300 bar bottles are much better than 232.

Cheap ones come up regularly but just make sure they have the correct valve and are in test or that you are prepared to pay for a test.

Hope this helps.

Edd 

Hello, there are quite a few dive shops in N Ireland, check out as some may do PCP cylinders,one may even do second hand with full test,  most PCP air rifles with an air tube can be filled via a pump, a 232 bar cylinder with a pcp guage can be used but you don't get so many fills as a 300 bar,